Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

15 year old with eating disorder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15 year old with eating disorder

    Hi,

    I'm new to this forum/blog. But not to the paleo diet. And I don't really know where this post is going or why I'm posting this but I'm just gonna start typing. I slowly started the paleo diet I think 3 months ago. It started by just cutting out refined sugar, then grains, then milk, then pasta and rice, then legumes, then I stopped eating too much fruit. But the past month I always think about food, what I will eat next etc. and dinner isn't "fun" anymore because I always eat a little different than my parents. Also I think I eat too little because I stopped eating bread and eating only meat and eggs for energy somehow feels wrong. I just miss so much of my old diet, where I was healthy as well.
    To be honest, I wish I never discovered the paleo diet even though it might eventually be healthier.

    I just felt like posting this because then I can at least tell it somewhere

    P.S. I really want to eat the absolutely antipaleo whole grain peanut butter samdwich in my bag that my mom made me
    Last edited by Whatyoudoing; 03-13-2012, 03:22 AM.

  • #2
    I also developed an eating disorder when I started Primal, but then it went away as I listened to my body and ate as it told me to, instead of what Mark tells me to. Everyone is different. For someone your age, assuming you're active also, don't worry about calories. And eat sweet potatoes and some fruit (or even regular potatoes as a last resort) for quality carbs. Just focus on avoiding grains, sugar and vegetable oils and low quality dairy (eg. processed cheese).

    If you stick with it and just keep changing things until you get it right, I promise you it will be worth it!

    Comment


    • #3
      Early on it is natural to think about food all the time, I worry about what I am going to eat for lunch and dinner and how I am going to plan it and what I have in the house etc etc. Its like anything new, obsessing about whether you are eating the right things, enough, too much....just read through the forums, its all there.

      Primal isn't a 'one size fits all' and I think you'll see that in the forums also, you do need to listen to your body, but in the first weeks your body can lie because it is addicted and craves things that aren't necessarily good for it. However once into the groove, if you fancy an orange have one, if you want cheese - have it!

      You say eating isn't 'fun', I would guess this is because you are young and you don't know how to combine the foods you can eat to make wonderful, satisfying and delicious food. As a mum I have been cooking for over 20 years and I have always cooked from fresh so adopting the primal lifestyle isn't too difficult for me. However I think you probably need to invest a little time and energy into finding some recipes or dishes that you truly love. Marks readers cookbook has some goodies in it.

      As mmsantos said, just focus on avoiding the bad stuff and it will come good.
      Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
      Walter Elliot

      I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        At 15 you shouldn't just be eating meat and eggs-you need carbs! Add some sweet potatos, fruit, plenty of veggies....if you really want a piece of bread, get the sprouted grain kind. And experiment with different meals-look up some recipes and ask your mom to help you make them for everyone, so you don't feel isolated at dinner.
        $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

        "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire


        For nutrition/wellness tips:

        http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

        www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tradawg View Post
          At 15 you shouldn't just be eating meat and eggs-you need carbs! Add some sweet potatos, fruit, plenty of veggies....if you really want a piece of bread, get the sprouted grain kind. And experiment with different meals-look up some recipes and ask your mom to help you make them for everyone, so you don't feel isolated at dinner.
          This. And yes, definitely explain your thoughts as to why Primal is the way you want to eat. And you know what - follow the 80/20 rule. Eat this was 80% of the time. Enjoy other foods the other 20%.
          Christine
          Wag more, bark less

          Comment


          • #6
            and eat till full. My story is one where my mother withheld food from us both as punishment and as a general expression of power. one thing i notice is that most of the people i talk to who are huge as adults ( not just big ie needing to shed under 30 pounds) all had some form of malnourishment as children. as a teen you are building and burnig more in a day than your parents will in a week. dont skimp. eat eat eat, just eat well.
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

            Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

            CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


            Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
              It started by just cutting out refined sugar, then grains, then milk, then pasta and rice, then legumes, then I stopped eating too much fruit.
              ...
              eating only meat and eggs for energy
              Are you eating vegetables? If you never liked them, now might be a good time to try them again. Taking the sugar and grains out of your diet makes the veggies taste better, plus when I was a teen I started liking things I did not like as a child. I started with broccoli and cauliflower when I was a teen. And you really should eat more potatoes. Also, as a teen, a peanut butter sandwich from time-to-time isn't going to kill you. It's not the healthiest, but without a good job and the ability to buy and prepare all the food you need, it's better to feed your growing body than starve it out of some sense of purity.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

              Comment


              • #8
                If you really want bread, make it rye bread. Or sourdough. And slather it in butter.

                Eat sweet potatoes! Don't be afraid of fruit either. Eat green veggies slathered in fat. Eat only until full.

                It's ok to think about food all the time Primals are foodies, I find!
                A Post-Primal PrimalPat

                Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                  and eat till full. My story is one where my mother withheld food from us both as punishment and as a general expression of power. one thing i notice is that most of the people i talk to who are huge as adults ( not just big ie needing to shed under 30 pounds) all had some form of malnourishment as children. as a teen you are building and burnig more in a day than your parents will in a week. dont skimp. eat eat eat, just eat well.
                  This is interesting. My mom was always on a diet so I was too. And her mom was brutally cruel as far as comments to me and my sister about weight and appearance. End result was I never felt like I got enough to eat as a child. My sister and I would actually sneak powdered sugar and eat it with a spoon because we were not allowed treats like the other kids we knew and because everything good to eat was "too fattening". While other kids were allowed butter and homemade cookies we ate skinless chicken and baked potatoes. Neither of us were huge, but we ended up with eating disorders and weight problems.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Interesting. Back on SAD, with not enough nutrition, I would crave stuff and think about food almost all the time. But now it's not so much. I think about food still in the sense that I'm excited about preparing dinner, but I think that's a different story. My point is, as most posters have said, try eating more to nourish your young and still-growing body.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

                    Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Eat some carbs if you need. Sweet potatoes are delicious and will help stop your cravings for carbs
                      My chocolatey Primal journey

                      Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sexyasianescorts
                        i crave all the time as well i just keep looking in the mirror and reminding myself what will happen if i give in and that i still have a long way to go god willpower is sooo hard!!
                        gtfo
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                        Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                        CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                        Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                          Are you eating vegetables? If you never liked them, now might be a good time to try them again. Taking the sugar and grains out of your diet makes the veggies taste better, plus when I was a teen I started liking things I did not like as a child. I started with broccoli and cauliflower when I was a teen. And you really should eat more potatoes. Also, as a teen, a peanut butter sandwich from time-to-time isn't going to kill you. It's not the healthiest, but without a good job and the ability to buy and prepare all the food you need, it's better to feed your growing body than starve it out of some sense of purity.
                          Yeah I eat a lot of vegetables . The problem is definitley not that I don't like much food. I basically love every single food. My favorite (healthy) food is homemade ratatouille with chicken. It's just that I'm never ever full. I could literally eat 2 large pizzas and some donuts in 1 sitting, not kidding. (I would never do that of course, I wouldn't take one bite of a pizza or donut).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
                            Yeah I eat a lot of vegetables . The problem is definitley not that I don't like much food. I basically love every single food. My favorite (healthy) food is homemade ratatouille with chicken. It's just that I'm never ever full. I could literally eat 2 large pizzas and some donuts in 1 sitting, not kidding. (I would never do that of course, I wouldn't take one bite of a pizza or donut).
                            OMG this was me a year ago, i started paleo when i had just turned 15, and trust me its hard seeing all my freinds chuck down pizza and dougnuts, i was never full and honestly i didnt feel a whole lot healthier at first. It's hard for adults to understand how hungry teens get, not much has changed though, I still get hungry but i realise certain foods trip different hunger spells. All artificial sweeteners (even stevia) make me ravenously hungry and the only way to stop it was to stuff my face intill i over ate.

                            Personally i think its natural and just be as active as you can, you wouldn't belive i can consume on the range of 3500 calories in a day, but then i crossfit 3 times a week and do other activitys ontop of that. Just dont sit still and you dont feel as hungry, dont be scared of gobbling down a 12 oz stake with a mountain of ratatouille on it (Also my favourite dish). And NEVER be scared of getting fat or over weight. I really do understand everything your saying and somtimes i wish i never found paleo, but when im clean and jerking more than my bodyweight and sprinting faster than anyone on my rugby team it makes it all worth while.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I can tell you that in the beginning I was always starving because my body was craving carbs like mad. I also had to obsess over everything I ate because its like learning any new habits, it takes effort and mindfulness in the beginning, but overtime it just becomes old hat, you just need to create new habits. It really got easier, I would really start increasing your intake of good carbs and not worry so much! Just eat the meat/veggies/ and add a sweet potato or white rice with dinner..maybe your mom can make white rice instead of pasta or bread? Grab some fruit if you want. Really enjoy it, try some dark chocolate with coconut for desert. Bring your own lunch at school tho... find some primal things that you love and take them. This will create a great foundation, make yourself a good primal breakfast.

                              Go out with your friends and make that your 20%. Eat whatever you want and just enjoy being a teen!!!

                              Control only what you have control over, and the rest for now... it is what it is. I would say that 20% with your friends is just important to your health as the 80% you eat most of the time. You need to enjoy socializing and being with them. Have some ice cream with them.
                              Primal since March 2011

                              Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X