lard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lard?

I bought some lard today and the ingredients say "Lard and Hydrogenated Lard" - should I toss it / return it?

this is what I bought ... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Armour-Lard-16-oz/10449265

Thanks!

Christina

All supermarket lard is hydrogenated, and therefore contains trans fat. Do not eat it.

To get real fresh rendered lard, try a Mexican supermarket if you have some in the area, or a butcher shop.

Comment

Toss or return. Do not eat.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

ehh... 'Walmart' raises a red flag for me-Im even afraid to eat their roasted chicken. There are far better sources of lard out there (the natural kind).

Comment

Definitely don't use it.

Here I can get unrendered leaf lard at a local winter farmer's market, so you may want to try something like that. Rendering it easy. Try eatwild.com for getting local good lard or renderable fat in your area.

Comment

That's what I thought, hydrogenated = BAD!. I bought it at safeway (tried whole foods but didn't find any). I'll return it and look into the suggestions.

Thanks!!

Comment

Use it. I mean, will you eat a pound a day? It's better than the alternatives like the grain oils.

Before PB I saw where Crisco has a solid shortening "No Transfats." And the TF's seem to be gone from margarines. At least on a "per serving" basis. So, I'm trying to understand whether hydrogenation automatically means transfat, or not. I'm thinking the latter.

Lard is too valuable to no use. Even meat has small amounts of TF's.

As I say over and over, it's not just the WHAT but the HOW MUCH that matters.

Comment

I am actually very curious about this. What was the brand from whole foods? was it the 365 brand that whole foods makes themselves?

Comment

There's a difference between naturally occuring transfats and industrially created hydrogenated transfats. The small amounts of TFs occuring in meat are not harmful for you unlike industrial ones.

Do not use it. Go return what you have and get your money back.

Comment

If you can't return it, make fat-balls for your local birds

Never waste anything!

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...fat-balls.html

Comment

My local WF, Sarasota, doesn't have lard or tallow. I've asked.

Given a choice of lard with some infinitesimally small amount of something does occur in nature, too, or using.......what? I'm going for the lard. Most of it gets thrown out, not eaten, anyway.

Some sense of proportionality, please.

Comment

Personal preference, I'd rather use butter than "dodgy" lard... mind you, I don't believe it's hydrogenated in the UK (??) so not so critical.

Comment

I'm sorry, but it is never good to eat hydrogenated oils. Not it any amount. And it is not better than some processed grain oils. It is worse.

There's no rationalizing. Don't eat it, if you value your health.

Also, the natural trans fats that are found in animal products are different from hydrogenated oils. They are mostly in the form of CLA. They are helpful, not harmful. So that's not a good excuse, either.

Comment

Most of the lard I've seen in regular supermarkets near me is shelf-stable and on the shelf, not refridgerated. That kinda creeps me out.

Comment

^ Yeah, you want to stay away from all supermarket shelf lard. It's not really lard anymore, if you ask me. It has been bleached, deodorized, and hydrogenated, and it's an insult to the pig to call that "lard." It may have been lard, at some point. But not anymore.

I buy lard at a Mexican supermarket. It's in the produce section in little tubs, it is a creamy beige color, and it smells like pork. That stuff is pure gold.

Comment

Working...
                              X