Going carnivore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going carnivore?

I wanted to hear experiences some of you have had going carnivore or very low carb. How long? how did it make you feel?

I am thinking I may use sporadic carnivore periods to speed up my weight loss but I have heard some have had a bad experience with it. I tried to search this first so I hope I am not being terribly redundant.

The first week for me was full of funny feelings.. slight dizziness... sometimes I would super alert.. especially during sleep.. it would feel like as if I am awake but I would sleeping.. But after 1 week everything was fine... even 5-6 hours of sleep would make me feel fresh compared to 9 hours before low carbing And you will definitely see rapid weight loss

I think VLC is fun !

Comment

I'm eating VLC right now and doing fantastic. On ZC, I was not hungry enough to eat enough food. I ended up losing muscle and putting on fat. I'm sure I'd be able to do fine on ZC again, but I would only caution you to make sure you're eating enough food. ZC will take away hunger completely. Of course I'm speaking from experience only. Hope this helps you form your opinion further.

oh and I think VLC is fun too!

Comment

Awesome, this is what I was looking for!

Did any of you have a hard time adding veggies back in?

I have this fear that I won't be able to digest veggies if I cut them for a while.

Comment

I've been doing VLC for over a month now and I feel fine. I'll eat 5-10 grams of carbohydrate each day, from Greek yogurt, but that's all.

I do feel a little sluggish in the gym and my BM's have been TERRIBLE (I've been taking a sugar-free fiber supplement for a few days now and I feel 100% better in the toilet department) but other than that I haven't noticed any changes.

I am looking forward to reincorporating some fruit and vege's into my diet after I've dropped the bulk of this weight though, just for some variety.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Comment

Once you start VLC you won't want to go back

Nothing beats BBQ steak with a side of steak.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
            Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
            Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Comment

Tried it. Do not like.

I got bored... plants, fruit & vegetables add variety to a diet with all the colours and whatnot.

Comment

I think I am going to try meat, eggs and veggies for a while to see how I do. If I enjoy that I may go VLC or carnivore until I see this weight drop. I have tried to research the health effects and well....there is a lot of differing opinions.

We will see how I feel. Thanks for all of your input. Please add more if you feel up to it.

Comment

From what I have read, it can take up to 3 or more weeks for the body to fully adapt to ketosis. Feeling sluggish is not uncommon during this time, though I personally was fine.

Comment

If you are currently eating a lot of carbs, it may take an adjustment period to function optimally on ZC. But once you're used to ZC- it feels fantastic and the opposite happens- carbs will make you feel super sluggish.

Ive started trying more strictly ZC, and find that I end up eating the same things for quite a while (which is fine, since the routine diet helps me to regulate food intake).

But I'm wondering for ZC'ers out there: What would a typical day's meals be? Do you eat eggs, are there favourite meats? (I've been going between grass fed sirloin steak and roasted chicken for weeks).

Comment

This is so interesting... I have considered going carnivore or VLC a few times but with having to cook for my mom as well my options are a bit more limited. She is down for whatever, but I think I WOULD miss veggies. I love making food LOOK good and TASTE good and as delicious as meat is, I am afraid I wouldn't be able to handle JUST meat all the time...

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

@mandabear I feel the exact same way. Most of my dishes are meat based for sure but I almost always HAVE to add some veggies for color and texture and just to keep my brain engaged while eating too. I only don't do this if I'm having eggs and meat together, but if not, I almost always have veggies... I'm not sure how many carbs I get, I would hope under 100... I would try to do this but it sounds a little hard to do, for me, since I have grown to really enjoy a small side of veggies at every meal. I feel more "balanced" that way.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

How low is VLC? Because I try to eat no more than 25 carbs a day. And I started that way right from the very first, and never felt funny, strange, ect.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                          Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                          I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

Hey!

Great posts, I'm also thinking about trying ZC (maybe with a some leek, garlic and stuff like that for flavouring), but I'm still kinda "afraid".

I've already read many topics at ZIOH but they seem to be too focused on meat only and everything else is bad so I think MDA is a better place to discuss the whole thing.

I hope Tarlach and other carnivores could clarify a couple of things for me:

How well could one do with ground meat? I can get very good quality ground beef fairly cheap, other types of meat are kinda expensive. My concern is that ground meat should be cooked very well, would I lose any nutrients and risk getting deficiencies?

How important is it to eat organs? Not a big fan of it and there seem to be two sides. On ZIOH they say it is not necessary, Mark thinks they are.

So I would mainly eat ground beef and other types of beef, sometimes chicken and fish. I'd cook with butter or self made ghee.

Would that be ok?

Comment

I personally think organ meats are vital to great health. Even in very small amounts. They are so nutrient rich, and you can always add them to ground meat if you don't like the taste. (I puree chicken livers, freeze in ice cube trays, then throw a couple cubes in w/ ground meat or sauces and cook it all together--virtually unnoticable.)

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/weird-nutrient-dense-meat.html
                              [quote]

Many cultures use almost the entire animal for food, including the organs. The most often-used organs are the liver, tongue, kidneys, brains, heart, stomach, and intestines. If you take a look at our dietary history, it is obvious that organ meat was very common and eaten even more often than the muscle meat of animals.

What did our ancestors know that we've ignored in recent times?

They realized that the organs contained some of the most concentrated sources of nutrients and were the most important part of the animal to eat.

Compared to regular cuts of muscle meat, organ meats are more densely packed with just about every nutrient, including heavy doses of B vitamins such as: B1, B2, B6, folic acid and vitamin B12.

Organ meats are also loaded with minerals like phosphorus, iron, copper, magnesium and iodine, and provide the important fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Key to remember here is that animals raised outside on grass contain even higher levels of these essential nutrients than their grain-fed counterparts.</blockquote>

http://www.westonaprice.org/Principles-of-Healthy-Diets.html#characteristics
                              [quote]

All traditional cultures consume some sort of animal food, such as fish and shellfish; land and water fowl; land and sea mammals; eggs; milk and milk products; reptiles; and insects. The whole animal is consumed --muscle meat, organs, bones and fat, with the organ meats and fats preferred.</blockquote>

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/03/organ-meats-ick-or-superfood-urban.html
                              [quote]

Liver contains more nutrients gram for gram than ANY OTHER FOOD.</blockquote>

And from MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/organ-meats/

Comment

Working...
                              X