Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonymouse View Post
    A question for anyone who's been at this for a while and lifts...

How are your lifts progressing? Is CT making you stronger? Jack Kruse makes it sound like you'll be superhuman...lol
    Just want some verification on that aspect of CT since it's the most interesting part of it to me.
    My lifts are increasing week by week, and incredibly so. I've been spot-CTing for a month, but plan on proper submerges now. I need to up my game!

Originally posted by otzi View Post
    I'm a bodyweight kinda guy. My LHT consists of pullups, dips, squats, and pushups. Since starting CT this winter, I have been able to increase my pullups from 10-15 max to 25-30 max. Not saying CT will turn you into a superhuman, but it doesn't hurt, either. Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps both use CT to increase athletic potential--see where it got them?
    True. For being a girl that only spend 20 min in the gym 3-4 days a week, I've had incredible fat-loss, and as far as I can see, muscle is coming out to play!

Originally posted by Shijin13 View Post
    HAHAHA... I would join you in your 55 degree house! DH keeps jacking up the thermostat to like 68! I keep turning it down...this is a FIRST in our relationship!!! for the First time in my life I'm hot all the time... I look fwd to my Spot CT sessions after bkfst... and my baths when I can get them in in the evenings after the kiddos have gone to bed.

Question for those who've been CTing a while - have you seen any changes in your sex drive? mine for a while were all over the place, but insync w/my cycle - now my drive has kinda plateaued... Definitely hormone related... And while I started BHRT I don't think 3days is enough to impact this... any thoughts???
    My drive went to hell. Iwas already high in estradiol, but CT released even more estrogen into my blood. With a sluggish liver, the end result was bloating, extremely snappy mood, tears, depression and zero sex drive. The excess estrogen has been driven out thanks to supplements and liver support, but it took about 2-3 weeks.

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I just don't think calling it paleo is appropriate.

I could supplement with testosterone and it would make me achieve my goals faster with minimal risk. That doesn't make it paleo.
    He calls it Optimal. Paleo is the dietary platform he recommends as you start off. And he cites everything at the end of each blog-post.

Comment

My TOM is far lighter than it's ever been now that I CT. My time has come for submerges, I'm thinking 3-5 times weekly. I have hypo thyroid symptoms slowly surfacing and I won't to fix it. Obviously spot-CT ain't enough for someone like. Belly/waist/back shrinking though.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed; the veins on my lower arms/hands are really popping out. I don't actually spot-CT them, but I do work out my arms pretty hard in the gym.

Comment

I want to try this, but I find the reading really tough to get through. Do I really just start by plunging my face in to a bowl of cold water once a day? What benefits am I supposed to see from this? What time of the day?

I've tried finishing my showers with cool water for a few days. Is that supposed to do anything?
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            I want to try this, but I find the reading really tough to get through. Do I really just start by plunging my face in to a bowl of cold water once a day? What benefits am I supposed to see from this? What time of the day?

I've tried finishing my showers with cool water for a few days. Is that supposed to do anything?
            I went straight to spot-CT without plunging my face. Was surprisingly easy. You'll find body fat melting, and sleep improving. Also massive gains in the gym. Some detox tobe expected, I was a pimply, hormonal mess for the first 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
              I went straight to spot-CT without plunging my face. Was surprisingly easy. You'll find body fat melting, and sleep improving. Also massive gains in the gym. Some detox tobe expected, I was a pimply, hormonal mess for the first 2-3 weeks.
              So can I do this right now before bed or will I be up all night then?
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

jammies, this is what I've been doing too. I takie a lukewarm shower (shampooing and soaping) then, at the end, turning the dial down to it's coldest setting - it's not freezing, but enough to give me gosebumps and feels 'fresh'. Once there, I time myself in increasing minutes, to stay in longer each day. I found it difficult at first, though walking on the spot and loud breathing helped, LOL.

Now I can take it just fine! It's amazing how quickly I have adapted to it! (Mind you, I am NOT in winter, and I don't have freezing cold water!)

I haven't been doing the face plunge, because my tap water just isn't cold enough, but I do put my face in to the cool shower, and put ice-packs on myself whilst watching TV at night.

One of the most obvious things that I've noticed is that I am HOT all DAY long!!! (I'm already in a hot country, so I don't know if this is necessary a good thing, in terms of my comfort levels, LOL, but for anyone in a cold climate I would imagine it would be great!
                SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

So can I do this right now before bed or will I be up all night then?
                  It increases DHEA so you find you'll get extremely sleepy and fall asleep within 5-10 min after going to bed. I do my sessions between 8 and 9 pm.

Comment

Originally posted by thaijinx View Post
                    jammies, this is what I've been doing too. I takie a lukewarm shower (shampooing and soaping) then, at the end, turning the dial down to it's coldest setting - it's not freezing, but enough to give me gosebumps and feels 'fresh'. Once there, I time myself in increasing minutes, to stay in longer each day. I found it difficult at first, though walking on the spot and loud breathing helped, LOL.

Now I can take it just fine! It's amazing how quickly I have adapted to it! (Mind you, I am NOT in winter, and I don't have freezing cold water!)

I haven't been doing the face plunge, because my tap water just isn't cold enough, but I do put my face in to the cool shower, and put ice-packs on myself whilst watching TV at night.

One of the most obvious things that I've noticed is that I am HOT all DAY long!!! (I'm already in a hot country, so I don't know if this is necessary a good thing, in terms of my comfort levels, LOL, but for anyone in a cold climate I would imagine it would be great!
                    I am freezing cold all the time for the last year or so - so I would LOVE to start generating a little heat!! That alone is enough reason to stick with it

Comment

• Originally posted by Glamorama View Post
                      It increases DHEA so you find you'll get extremely sleepy and fall asleep within 5-10 min after going to bed. I do my sessions between 8 and 9 pm.
                      Thanks! I guess I'll go grab a couple ice pack right now.

BTW - I just noticed today that your user name is Glamorama - I always thought it was GlamorMama! Ooops!

Comment

• Originally posted by jammies View Post
                        Thanks! I guess I'll go grab a couple ice pack right now.

BTW - I just noticed today that your user name is Glamorama - I always thought it was GlamorMama! Ooops!
                        Oh no, i def see myself as more than just a mum, lol!

Give it 2-3 sessions before it feels better. Then prepare to be shocked. I was down 2% BF after just 7 days, and my waist went from 79 down to 77 cm in that first week. I'd been stuck on 79 for 2 months!!! No change to diet.

You'll probably experience some hefty detox depending on how much fat you burn up, I was a mess for a while. All good now, after a month.

Comment

• All

Thanks for all the positive comments and I believe you'll get a lot from adding a form of mild cold stress to your routine activity. Over the last three years I've tried to zero in on very prescriptive methods. I'm astonished at just how deep this all goes, because I began my journey more on a crazy whim.

I don't believe you need to be miserable or extreme to have impact and there is a lot of peer reviewed literature to support this claim. In water (hight thermal conductivity/heat capacity) mild cold stress begins at about 27C/80F - hardly roughing it. At that rate if you want to consider pure heat transfer, you're at about 2.4x your RMR or for most about 250-ish watts.

That's not a huge load and animal studies that used this level had 4 hours/day - 5 days a week.

It is however a start and what happens systemically is that metabolic changes do begin to occur. If I were going to recommend one physical activity, I'd say begin swimming, but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

As mild cold stress continues (at least as Wim Hof and I teach) you'll see greater peripheral circulation, greater sensation of well-being (CFS/depression relief), and better sleep.

As for tolerating cooler environments: gloves before sweater make you look better. Go for covering your symptoms (hands, nose, ears and toes) and leave larger areas to dump heat. Be mindful of hypothermia (especially water <60F/15C and air 32F/0C) as there is a such thing as walking hypothermia and hard cold shock can be dangerous for some. Ease in if you want to enjoy it and make it a permanent part of your life.

There's no denying that this plays a role in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis, but no one conclusively knows yet to what degree. Every other living thing seems to respond to the seasonal cycles, we'd be a little naive to think we've evolved out of it. Wim Hof and I believe it's all quite simple: winter never comes. We still prepare, but it seems our big brain simply blew past seasonal caloric scarcity and cold stress. Both have shown great implications for health and longevity and we believe it provides some beneficial opportunities to activate these genes.

I wish I had more time to hang out here, but I don't. That being said, everyone is welcome to keep up with the latest on my site and please know that we're finishing up more academic studies in Europe now and will be offering more training coaching in the not so distant future.

Ray Cronise

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZZeroG View Post
                            All

Thanks for all the positive comments and I believe you'll get a lot from adding a form of mild cold stress to your routine activity. Over the last three years I've tried to zero in on very prescriptive methods. I'm astonished at just how deep this all goes, because I began my journey more on a crazy whim.

I don't believe you need to be miserable or extreme to have impact and there is a lot of peer reviewed literature to support this claim. In water (hight thermal conductivity/heat capacity) mild cold stress begins at about 27C/80F - hardly roughing it. At that rate if you want to consider pure heat transfer, you're at about 2.4x your RMR or for most about 250-ish watts.

That's not a huge load and animal studies that used this level had 4 hours/day - 5 days a week.

It is however a start and what happens systemically is that metabolic changes do begin to occur. If I were going to recommend one physical activity, I'd say begin swimming, but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

As mild cold stress continues (at least as Wim Hof and I teach) you'll see greater peripheral circulation, greater sensation of well-being (CFS/depression relief), and better sleep.

As for tolerating cooler environments: gloves before sweater make you look better. Go for covering your symptoms (hands, nose, ears and toes) and leave larger areas to dump heat. Be mindful of hypothermia (especially water <60F/15C and air 32F/0C) as there is a such thing as walking hypothermia and hard cold shock can be dangerous for some. Ease in if you want to enjoy it and make it a permanent part of your life.

There's no denying that this plays a role in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis, but no one conclusively knows yet to what degree. Every other living thing seems to respond to the seasonal cycles, we'd be a little naive to think we've evolved out of it. Wim Hof and I believe it's all quite simple: winter never comes. We still prepare, but it seems our big brain simply blew past seasonal caloric scarcity and cold stress. Both have shown great implications for health and longevity and we believe it provides some beneficial opportunities to activate these genes.

I wish I had more time to hang out here, but I don't. That being said, everyone is welcome to keep up with the latest on my site and please know that we're finishing up more academic studies in Europe now and will be offering more training coaching in the not so distant future.

Ray Cronise
                            Ray

thanks for taking the time to stop by - even if it is only for a short bit... your experience is valuable!
                            The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                            What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                            SW 190lb
                            Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                            25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                            1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                            GW ~135lbs
                            5'3"
                            Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

• I read Ray's blog and have learned quite a lot from him. I find the whole subject of metabolic changes due to temperature very interesting. I note that research into this is getting to be more accessible, such as this article:
                              Brown Fat and Weight Loss - The Future of Fat - Popular Mechanics

I also think that Dr. Kruse has a beneficial prescriptive approach for the use of cold for optimizing health. It is reassuring that this blog reflects the acceptance of his theories and a willingness to self-experiment. I certainly appreciate all I have read here.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrZZeroG View Post
                                but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

Ray Cronise
                                How cool was that? A visit from the Godfather of Cold himself!
                                Anyone notice this advice differs a bit from Dr. Kruse? Here, Ray Cronise says 'cold drives hunger' where Jack says 'cold kills hunger'. Well, in my experience, while I'm in the cold, I have absolutely zero hunger. When I warm back up, the hunger comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone else have the same feeling? I have been at the eating game for a while so I usually don't fall victim to the urge to pig-out, maybe right after a CT session would be the perfect time for that Big Ass Salad we're supposed to eat.

Comment

Working...
                                X