Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I agree that CT it does work. I currently live in Miami and have weight trouble even though I'm constantly sweating, however when I relocated to Toronto for a year, I didn't have to blink and the weight fell off. In fact I'm pretty sure it happend as soon as I stepped off the airplane and vice versa when I got back to Miami, I started to expand again.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by otzi View Post
      So, how to implement CT.

      Dr. Kruse believes CT is optimized when done while eating a totally ketogenic diet, as close to zero carb as possible. He advocates eating only protein and fat, most of this from seafood. He says this can be done seasonally, using CT and ketogenic diet from October thru April each year and eating starchy vegetables and fruits only in the spring and summer when they would normally be available.

      Ray Cronise advocates eating a nutrient laden diet, high in nutrients/low in calories. Mainly from vegetable sources although he is not a vegan.

      Both seem to favor CRON CRON - Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition which is Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition as opposed to eating the Standard American Diet.
      Cold makes you eat less...... I am not saying it but, evolution mandates it in cold. That is built into the biochemistry of the Ancient Pathway. If you call PH academic you got bigger problems. That place is paleo dogma central.
      Last edited by DigitalSurgeon; 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        I think that just because you live in a cold place doesn't guarantee success. Here in Alaska, as soon as it gets chilly and the snow flies (mid-Oct), people tend to hibernate in their house, become couch potatoes, and eat more junk food. In the summer, my house stays about 68 degrees, but in the winter, we fire up the woodstove and it's 75-80 in the house. Everyone has a remote starter for their car, and we wear lots of warm clothes.

        I started driving with my heater off and my truck cab stays in the 30's. I quit wearing a coat no matter what the temp unless I have a risk of being stuck outdoors for an extended time, but to and from my truck, checking the mail, running into the store--all done with no coat.

        Comment


        • #19
          I have no proof of it, but I think that the slow transition to people spending a larger and larger proportion of our time in a man-made "comfort zone" (68-78* F with optimal humidity) might be yet another contributing factor towards the overall downward spiral of health/wellness.

          And you're right, just being in a particularly cold (or warm) climate doesn't guarantee that one will end up with significantly more exposure to cold (or heat) due to the ubiquity of man made structures (and vehicles, etc) with either heat or A/C.
          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

          Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by tim_1522 View Post
            I have no proof of it, but I think that the slow transition to people spending a larger and larger proportion of our time in a man-made "comfort zone" (68-78* F with optimal humidity) might be yet another contributing factor towards the overall downward spiral of health/wellness.

            And you're right, just being in a particularly cold (or warm) climate doesn't guarantee that one will end up with significantly more exposure to cold (or heat) due to the ubiquity of man made structures (and vehicles, etc) with either heat or A/C.
            It definitely seems we were 'designed' by God or Evolution to endure Winter. What happens to us in our endless Summers? For one thing, I've read that our lipid profile (O6:O3 ratios) should change with the changing of the season, as most every other mammal, but humans don't because the body never senses Winter. And, if by chance the body does sense Winter, the diet is all screwed up from the SAD and it's a double-whammy on the metabolism!

            From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18171691 :

            Abstract
            Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) can have strong effects on hibernation and daily torpor in mammals. High dietary PUFA contents were found to increase proneness for torpor, decrease body temperatures, prolong torpor bout duration, and attenuate hibernation mass loss. The mechanism by which PUFAs enhance torpor and hibernation is unknown, however. On the basis of a review of the literature, and on reexamining our own data on alpine marmots, we propose that effects on hibernation are not due to PUFAs in general, but to shifts in the ratio of n-6 PUFAs to n-3 PUFAs in membrane phospholipids. Specifically, high ratios of n-6 to n-3 PUFAs increase the activity of the Ca2+-Mg2+ pump in the sarcoplasmic reticulum of the heart (SERCA) and counteract Q10 effects on SERCA activity at low tissue temperatures. Therefore, high n-6 to n-3 PUFA ratios in cardiac myocyte membranes appear to protect the hibernating heart from arrhythmia, which in hypothermic nonhibernators is caused by massive increases in cytosolic Ca2+. The resulting reduced risk of cardiac arrest during hypothermia may explain why increased dietary uptake of n-6 PUFAs, but not of n-3 PUFAs, can strongly enhance the propensity for hibernation, and allows heterotherms to reach lower body temperatures, with associated increased energy savings. Therefore, at least for herbivorous hibernators, such as marmots, linoleic acid (C18:2 n-6)--the dietary source of all n-6 PUFAs--appears to represent a crucial and limited resource in natural environments.
            Last edited by otzi; 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
              Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

              I could say the exact opposite of nearly every one of his points and it would make just as much sense and have just as much evidence supporting it, i.e. none whatsoever. I don't know why anyone listens to a word he says. Ugh.
              I go by n=1. Everything he has suggested has worked where nothing else has (I'm talking 20 years of binge-eating and insane carb/sugar-cravings). I don't take anyone's words as gospel, but if their ideas works for me, and it keeps working even better when I try the new "protocols", then yes, I will stick to it.

              If you are young and healthy, like I once was, its easy to crap on the things that works for people with both minor and major hormonal issues and lots of weight to lose. Worst case scenario: a person in need tries, and it works; awesome! If it doesn't work, move on. It works for me, and quite amazingly so.

              Comment


              • #22
                I've been taking showers on the coolest setting (it's enough for me to *just* get goosebumps, but it's not freezing) and have been using ice-packs at night whilst watching TV.

                After just 4 days of this, I can honestly say I AM BOILING HOT!!! Of course it doesn't help that I live in the tropics anyways, so getting cool is difficult at the best of times, but it has been almost unbearable unless I'm in full-blast air-con all the time.

                (And I don't usually like having it on, and try and bear the heat as much as possible usually!)

                I can't say that it's had any effect on metabolism, weightless, or anything else yet, but I am DEFINITELY feeling the heat.
                SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

                Comment


                • #23
                  I'm doing the Leptin reset rx (for some months) and is about a week into CT. Doing daily baths of 7-8 degrees c in the afternoon for 30ish minutes

                  Dr. K says to do HIIT for the leptin reset when one becomes leptin sensitive. Then he says Crossfit is not good in the CT "rx". So I'm guessing Crossfit isn't considered HIIT, even when scaled properly. Should I just go back to the primal blueprint regimen with 15 sec sprints? (I can't get telomeres tested).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

                    I could say the exact opposite of nearly every one of his points and it would make just as much sense and have just as much evidence supporting it, i.e. none whatsoever. I don't know why anyone listens to a word he says. Ugh.
                    And many people are making huge improvements in their health following Dr Kruse's guidelines. How many are improving following yours?
                    63 yo male
                    Started reset Nov, 2011
                    SW: 291
                    CW: 230

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by primat View Post
                      I'm doing the Leptin reset rx (for some months) and is about a week into CT. Doing daily baths of 7-8 degrees c in the afternoon for 30ish minutes

                      Dr. K says to do HIIT for the leptin reset when one becomes leptin sensitive. Then he says Crossfit is not good in the CT "rx". So I'm guessing Crossfit isn't considered HIIT, even when scaled properly. Should I just go back to the primal blueprint regimen with 15 sec sprints? (I can't get telomeres tested).
                      My opinion is that if you exercise as outlined in Primal Blueprint Fitness, you will be good to go for any situation. I think Crossfit is considered 'chronic cardio' in this sense.
                      good luck!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Thanks Otzi for this thread.

                        I dont post as often as i could but this might encourage me to do so

                        I am up to 70 minutes daily in 48f water still finding benefit from it. but still very cold it is as if it get cold in cycles. first shorter times them longer times
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                        Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                        CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                        Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I edited the first post. I took out the "radical rules" and added some FAQs I gleaned from CT blogs.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            All the people telling me "but his advice works!" are missing my point. I never said his plan doesn't work. I said he comes off as a crazy person, and his reasoning makes no sense. He may have stumbled across an effective protocol that works for people, but I just can't read anything he writes without thinking of Timecube (no, I don't think he's that bad).
                            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

                            My Primal Journal

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                              Thanks Otzi for this thread.

                              I dont post as often as i could but this might encourage me to do so

                              I am up to 70 minutes daily in 48f water still finding benefit from it. but still very cold it is as if it get cold in cycles. first shorter times them longer times
                              I notice my shivering has changed dramatically. I used to shiver wildly, chattering teeth, muscle spasms, tightly clenched abs. Now it is a very subtle feeling in my chest/stomach area--kind of feels like I've been tickled. No more chattering teeth. It really feels awesome. Have you noticed that, too?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Uncephalized View Post
                                All the people telling me "but his advice works!" are missing my point. I never said his plan doesn't work. I said he comes off as a crazy person, and his reasoning makes no sense. He may have stumbled across an effective protocol that works for people, but I just can't read anything he writes without thinking of Timecube (no, I don't think he's that bad).
                                DUDE what the hell was that website. I am scared to spend time attempting to read it for fear i will go blind and perhaps catatonic.

                                Yes if i misunderstood you forgive me. He is a bit well spastic is the only word that comes to mind.

                                I do follow him most of the time and i guess i am crazy to for his investigational logic seems to gel for me.
                                Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

                                Predator not Prey
                                Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

                                CW 315 | SW 506
                                Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


                                Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X