No announcement yet.

Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I may already be seeing strength gains. That, or there is a placebo effect happening. I did a short strength training routine today, and did more reps in all my exercises. Military press in particular really shot up. Last time I worked out, I had done 6 reps the first set, 5 the 2nd. This time, doing the same weight, I got 12 and 8 reps! It's not conclusive evidence that I'm turning into super man just yet, maybe I just had a good day, but so far so good.

I followed it with a 15 minute cold bath.

Originally posted by otzi View Post
    Timing - if you work out, especially lifting heavy things, CT right afterwards. Otherwise, any time is fine.

Eating - try not to eat for 2-3 hours after you are finished. Eat seafood heavy, lower carbs.
    I'm a little confused here. I've always been told that the best time to build muscle is just after you do strength training, and thus you should always eat protein, especially foods rich in branch chain amino acids, right after lifting. Should the correct sequence be lift heavy things, eat protein, CT, no food for 2 to 3 hours?

What is the significance of the no food after CT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Style View Post
      I think I may already be seeing strength gains. That, or there is a placebo effect happening. I did a short strength training routine today, and did more reps in all my exercises. Military press in particular really shot up. Last time I worked out, I had done 6 reps the first set, 5 the 2nd. This time, doing the same weight, I got 12 and 8 reps! It's not conclusive evidence that I'm turning into super man just yet, maybe I just had a good day, but so far so good.

I followed it with a 15 minute cold bath.

I'm a little confused here. I've always been told that the best time to build muscle is just after you do strength training, and thus you should always eat protein, especially foods rich in branch chain amino acids, right after lifting. Should the correct sequence be lift heavy things, eat protein, CT, no food for 2 to 3 hours?

What is the significance of the no food after CT?
      I just like to tell people not to eat after CT for a while because the natural tendency is to overeat. Kind of like when people start an exercise program and then get hungrier, negating any calorie burn they did while exercising.

I've had good luck exercising fasted, then eating a good meal several hours later, CT'ing after that and then not eating anymore that day.

I have heard people say you do better in the cold with a belly full of fat/protein, so maybe your plan would work very well. Just be prepared for the hunger that may follow CT and don't give in!

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
        I just like to tell people not to eat after CT for a while because the natural tendency is to overeat. Kind of like when people start an exercise program and then get hungrier, negating any calorie burn they did while exercising.

I've had good luck exercising fasted, then eating a good meal several hours later, CT'ing after that and then not eating anymore that day.

I have heard people say you do better in the cold with a belly full of fat/protein, so maybe your plan would work very well. Just be prepared for the hunger that may follow CT and don't give in!

I am naturally appetite suppressed after things like CT and Exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
          Ha! Now I know you are serious! That was my first big WTF moment, too...70 degree water is frikkin' cold, while 70 degree air is pretty warm.

You are on the right track, now get that water really cold! Once you do it, you will get a runner's high just in anticipation of your next dip.

On the plus side, BAT formation begins at temps warmer than shivering. So, 70 degree water will encourage BAT growth, but may not really help all that much in muscle recovery, inflammation reduction, and fat loss.
          Another tip - embrace the shiver...it's free calorie burning at it's finest!
          Doesn't the runner's high and euphoric feeling occur during CT for most of you? It often does for me.

Either embrace the shiver, or, find a way to deep breath and meditate through it. I find this not only helpful, but also productive.

Comment

• OK I am still reading through this thread.
            But would a cold shower every day, be OK rather than soaking in a cold bath?

Comment

• Originally posted by morganpmiller View Post
              I am naturally appetite suppressed after things like CT and Exercise.
              During and immediately after I have absolutely no hunger, amazingly so, but there is a calorie burn and the tendency will be to overeat later if you aren't careful.. That's a pretty standard finding in all the animal CT studies and for me, personally, too.

Comment

• OK found my answer now I am finished reading.
                I will start with the cold showers for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                  OK I am still reading through this thread.
                  But would a cold shower every day, be OK rather than soaking in a cold bath?
                  I find showers harder to do for more than a few minutes, but if you like it, there's nothing wrong with cold showers, in fact there is a whole on-line community devoted to just that...

21 Health Benefits of a Cold Shower | Cold Showers

7 Health Benefits of a Cold Shower | The Art of Manliness

Cold Shower Benefits: Advantages of Taking Cold Showers Therapy

Cold Shower Benefits, Rules and RESTRICTIONS

The last link is pretty informative, lots of links to cold/BAT studies.

Comment

• Great thanks, will have a read.

Comment

• So during these cold bathes, and for some time afterward, my testes are pretty much held up in my body. This makes sense, of course, but is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!

Comment

So during these cold bathes, and for some time afterward, my testes are pretty much held up in my body. This makes sense, of course, but is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!
                        Yes.... Stop right now, you are on the way to becoming a woman, and CT will take you there. That is Dr. Kruse's plot, to have a whole world of women to do his bidding.... Nah, just kidding, that is normal. The testes like being warm, when they are not, they go and hide up where it is warm.
                        I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                        My Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                          Yes.... Stop right now, you are on the way to becoming a woman, and CT will take you there. That is Dr. Kruse's plot, to have a whole world of women to do his bidding....
                          I knew it! Damn you Kruse! You'll pay for this!

Comment

So during these cold bathes, and for some time afterward, my testes are pretty much held up in my body. This makes sense, of course, but is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks!
                            mine came back down after about 3 weeks LOL.

and as for me

25 minutes @ 32f just didnt have time for more. darned tap water keeps getting warmer. took 4 buckets of ice to get the temp down. it is amazing to note what gets stiff when cold and what doesnt.. and while this is normally TMI i think it is scientifically valid to note that the penis stopped responding to the cold in any meaningful way weeks ago. I go naked and always have, they dont make compression garment for my size. first several days YES i thought i may never see my poor testicles again, literally they went so far up i thought i had lost them. now the scrotum does draw up but nothing else ascends. The glans sometimes feels like it is getting pin pricked but sometimes not, no rhyme or reason as far as i can tell. Meanwhile feet and hands, they don't like the cold, does they precious, no they doesnt. Curiouser and Curiouser
                            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                              25 minutes @ 32f just didnt have time for more. darned tap water keeps getting warmer. Curiouser and Curiouser
                              Good job! 32 degrees is awesome, isn't it? Just think--you've experienced the most extreme water temp that anyone has ever experienced! Well, within 1-2 degrees anyway....many people have died in water that cold, but you survived!

When I'm standing there letting the tub fill and watching the digital thermometer getting close to 33 degrees, I start thinking about what I'm about to do and my heart starts beating harder, my breathing changes, I feel all tingle-y, much like the feeling you get when about to 'kiss' a girl for the first time, that's the only way I know how to describe it. There must be a huge endorphine release or something going on in anticipation of the cold plunge. 50 degree water doesn't cause this reaction, in fact it's rather mudane, but 32 degree water--ohh, laa, laa.

Comment

The colder the water, the further they crawl up inside you! The body wants the testes to be slightly cooler than 98 degrees, which is why the normally hang low, but when they hit the cold water they go running for warmth. Amazing survival mechanism...wait til you hit 32 degrees... It's amazing, too they way your skin feels, like the skin on your knees or stomach when exposed to super-cold water. It contracts so hard it feels like leather. This is how it helps with stretch marks and loose skin from recent weightloss.

Comment

Working...
                                X