No announcement yet.

Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the love of God… please stop. Hobbies: I like making myself get freezing-ass cold. Why? Somebody says it’s good for me. Read all that again. See how freaking insane it is? WTF, please stop. Here’s a new one: Sending dboxing $100 bucks is good for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by dboxing View Post
      For the love of God… please stop. Hobbies: I like making myself get freezing-ass cold. Why? Somebody says it’s good for me. Read all that again. See how freaking insane it is? WTF, please stop. Here’s a new one: Sending dboxing $100 bucks is good for you.
      Do you know how many people say to me, "What, you don't eat cookies, or fried chicken? Oh, Hell NO!" Same could be said of exercising.

Comment

• That kind of thinking gets you nowhere. I can find a hundred different people to tell me a hundred different things and blindly listen or ignore them. Now I'm not about to dump ice cubes in my tub and sit for four hours but I will keep an eye out to read what other people are doing and if they might be on to something.

Comment

• I can see how it sounds crazy, especially if you think it involves sitting in a tub of ice. If you live in a place that has a few months of cold weather, experiencing cold is awesome. Play and exercise outdoors in chilly temps. Think about when you were a kid playing in the snow--we used to run around with our boots packed with snow, snow packed in up under our coats, throwing snowballs, and we didn't want to come in when Mom called. That's really all you have to do, experience cold when it's cold out instead of hiding in a heated house, heated car, wearing best insulated clothes money can buy.

Comment

• My vote for cool. I took my shower this AM on the cool side of warm. When I finished washing, I faced the spigot and lowered the temperature. At first it was a bit cooler. My body caught up to the change and I lowered it again. Eventually, it felt like it was about as cold as get from my well, 52 degrees. Since I was doing quite a bit of water cold thermogenesis, I didn't air dry completely. I have been having the little muscle vibrations all day.

Yesterday, I spent 10 minutes doing CT, when I wainterrupteded by a phone call. I was 5 pounds lighter this morning. Let us see what the weight change will be tomorrow.

This CT in the shower seems more convenient than a tub full of ice. I am thinking that keeping my parents pool open year round might work or visits to Lake Erie or the boat launch nearby my house.

I want to add, that I am not eating really cleanly on purpose as I want to pitch this method to my sister and her boyfriend. I don't think she will real primal.
            Last edited by ljbprrfmof; 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM.
            Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
            I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
            Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
            ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

• The thread has moved on significantly since this post, but Ill reply anyway
              Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
              It's been suggested Armstrong may have done stationary bike workouts in a walk in cooler
              As a cyclist that uses a statonary trainer often, I would think that Armstrong could well have done sessions in a walk in cooler, but not for CT reasons, rather for heat dissipation. Even Armstrong was only about 25% efficient so if he was doing intervals at 500+ watts, he would have been throwing off another 1500+ watts in heat.
              I know personally that my power output suffers as a direct result of lack of cooling and I cant hold 500 watts for more than a minute or so, let alone for the 20+ minutes Armstrong would have been capable of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie_Andy View Post
                The thread has moved on significantly since this post, but Ill reply anyway

As a cyclist that uses a statonary trainer often, ...I know personally that my power output suffers as a direct result of lack of cooling and I cant hold 500 watts for more than a minute or so,
                Agreed, professional athletes definitely use cold to enhance training. 40 degree cold dips, Vasper suits, cryo chambers, cold pools, walk-in coolers, anything for an edge.

Comment

• Originally posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
                  This CT in the shower seems more convenient than a tub full of ice. I am thinking that keeping my parents pool open year round might work or visits to Lake Erie or the boat launch nearby my house.

I want to add, that I am not eating really cleanly on purpose as I want to pitch this method to my sister and her boyfriend. I don't think she will real primal.
                  There is a whole community of people out there doing cold showers 21 Health Benefits of a Cold Shower | Cold Showers

I wouldn't give up on the clean eating though. From your siggy line, it looks like you have a ways to go, so if you want to shred fat, a paleo diet + cold is a formidable shredder of fat. Don't worry what your sister thinks! She'll think your crazy no matter what you do. Show her the weight loss, she'll want to know how you did it--then she'll listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                    Agreed, professional athletes definitely use cold to enhance training. 40 degree cold dips, Vasper suits, cryo chambers, cold pools, walk-in coolers, anything for an edge.
                    In keeping with live and let live, I sincerely don’t want to interject, but, frankly, I feel compelled. Professional athletes also so use steroids for a completive edge. Is there any doubt that steroids have a more pronounced effect on body composition than sticking your face in ice water? The response is most likely “duh”. But, the reason I’m restating something so obvious, is that it illustrates the “thick of thin things” that is dominating this thread. If you have managed to do all the main things right (i.e. consistently (and progressively) strength/condition training, consistently eat well, consistently get good rest (where consistently means doing so consistently and for a meaningful amount of time - maybe 3 plus years) and you’re certain you maximized those parameters, then maybe, maybe, an effective use of your time would be to explore the benefits of periodically and/or often shrinking your testicles by pretending to be a polar bear (if we were meant to thrive naturally in really cold weather, we’d have, I don’t know –fur.)

Comment

In keeping with live and let live, I sincerely don’t want to interject, but, frankly, I feel compelled. Professional athletes also so use steroids for a completive edge. Is there any doubt that steroids have a more pronounced effect on body composition than sticking your face in ice water? The response is most likely “duh”. But, the reason I’m restating something so obvious, is that it illustrates the “thick of thin things” that is dominating this thread. If you have managed to do all the main things right (i.e. consistently (and progressively) strength/condition training, consistently eat well, consistently get good rest (where consistently means doing so consistently and for a meaningful amount of time - maybe 3 plus years) and you’re certain you maximized those parameters, then maybe, maybe, an effective use of your time would be to explore the benefits of periodically and/or often shrinking your testicles by pretending to be a polar bear (if we were meant to thrive naturally in really cold weather, we’d have, I don’t know –fur.)
                      Id say this one is afraid to dip a toe into the cool water. And judging from some people I've seen, fur must have been in their background. What do you suppose people did years ago, huddle around a fire? Someone had to go gather the wood.
                      Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                      I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                      Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                      ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

• Originally posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
                        Id say this one is afraid to dip a toe into the cool water. And judging from some people I've seen, fur must have been in their background. What do you suppose people did years ago, huddle around a fire? Someone had to go gather the wood.
                        The smart ones huddled around the fire. What's next, people drinking urine to get healthy? Oops.

Comment

Im not disagreeing with you as such, but I have used ice baths for years to help with recovery of my legs after long, hard rides or runs so thats not a new thing and something that is very common among athletes, especially professionals.

However, for the average Joe to use CT instead of fixing their underlying problem of overeating, yes, that I agree with.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aussie_Andy View Post
                            Im not disagreeing with you as such, but I have used ice baths for years to help with recovery of my legs after long, hard rides or runs so thats not a new thing and something that is very common among athletes, especially professionals.

However, for the average Joe to use CT instead of fixing their underlying problem of overeating, yes, that I agree with.
                            Also agree. Not for everyone, but those that embrace the cold reap the rewards. My wife, for instance, thinks i'm nuts for walking barefoot in the snow and wouldn't take a cold shower for a million bucks!

Comment

• I have a double shower and my wife already has the water so hot I cant get anywhere near it!

Im certainly intrigued by CT and knowing what it does for the recovery of my legs means I will definitely be giving it a shot.
                              Whats the worst that can happen? I save a few bucks on gas for heating water!

Comment

(if we were meant to thrive naturally in really cold weather, we’d have, I don’t know –fur.)
                                Come on - you can't really think evolution is that simple, right?
                                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Working...
                                X