Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Croak View Post
    It increases BAT, and decreases WAT if you are ketogenic.

There's also whole host of implied performance gains to be had when combining cold adaptation with proper diet. Kruse over-uses the Phelps and Armstrong examples, but they're still valid. And one day, he'll be able to spell the plural of Sherpa correctly, rather than making it a possessive.

The thing about the "scheduled" time is that you are constantly calling in and updating your final appointment. His theory (which he backs with telomere testing) is that CT increases telomere length, forestalling cellular breakdown.
    Well, if I have to be in ketosis(even half the year), I definitely don't want to increase longevity- long term, permanent ketosis is miserable for me.

I do remember reading in the 4 Hour Body about CT, brown fat and testosterone. I tried it for a while, but didn't notice significant improvement. This would be the most motivating thing for me. Maybe I'll try it again.

It may not be a common problem(a la how much I was teased when I complained about gaining muscle too easily at PH) but my grandmother often laments that she'll be around for a very long time, likely until she's well over 100. She's healthy, especially considering her age, but for her, it's a matter of watching all of her contemporaries get sick and die, to the point where visiting sick people and going to funerals makes up a significant portion of her time. I think the only thing that mitigates that is her large family.

Anyway, CT seems like a useful tool. I may give it a try(I'll report back if I do, with my result for people's reference, though they may be different, given I'm not in ketosis), just as I've recommended the Leptin Reset for people it seemed like a good fit for. I'm very happy for everyone having success with it.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

• Anyone experience soreness after CT? My waist/love handle region is very sore today. Mainly I've been doing spot ct with ice all around my middle, plus ending all my showers with a good cold spray targeted at my middle. Only occasional baths.

Otherwise, I have to say I'm loving CT, strangely enough. Definitely feeling that calmness and extra energy after a session. We'll see about weightless and reshaping, I guess. I'm really close to my ideal weight already, just need to improve composition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
        Longevity speaks my language. Now I'm willing to read all those links...

If cold thermogenesis increases metabolism, how could it possibly extend lifespan? All signs point to slowing metabolism as much as possible without compromising biochemistry.

And what is there in this for those of us who have already mastered voluntary activation of the autonomic nervous system? I can slow my heartbeat and need for oxygen down right now without sticking my face in water, thereby hitting the breaks on most of my bodily functions.
        It is obvious by your comments you have not bothered to read much of the CT series or you would not be asking these questions. Test your telomeres now and see how old you are in your DNA and then match that to your biological age. I would bet a small fortune that your telomere length age will be much higher than your biological age...meaning you will run out of stem cells far earlier than if you embrace the cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeyChelle View Post
          Anyone experience soreness after CT? My waist/love handle region is very sore today. Mainly I've been doing spot ct with ice all around my middle, plus ending all my showers with a good cold spray targeted at my middle. Only occasional baths.

Otherwise, I have to say I'm loving CT, strangely enough. Definitely feeling that calmness and extra energy after a session. We'll see about weightless and reshaping, I guess. I'm really close to my ideal weight already, just need to improve composition.
          Yes, somewhere Dr K said that the muscles contract in reaction to CT...just like you have done a workout but all you had to do was sit in a tub of cold water or have a cold lingering shower..and you get the effects of exercise.

Comment

Anyone experience soreness after CT? My waist/love handle region is very sore today. Mainly I've been doing spot ct with ice all around my middle, plus ending all my showers with a good cold spray targeted at my middle. Only occasional baths.

I was super-sore after I did my first week of spot-CT around my waist. It passed after that.

Guys, I plan on spending most of my forum-time over at the new Optimized Living Forums seeing ti will be people who purely do what we do already. I only use the Dr Kruse-threads in the here anyway, so its pointless for me to stay here.

To anyone considering CT, just try it for a week or two and see what changes you feel! Its pretty cool!

Comment

• Thank you Dex and Glam!

Comment

• A few days ago I did spot ice packs on my stomach and love handle area. I did it for perhaps an hour and was quite comfortable the whole time and I watched my skin carefully (never got worse than pink), yet now, days later those areas are still really sore. They feel deeply bruised. They don't look bruised though and the skin is still a touch pinker than the rest of my flesh. Anyone else have this?

I was using a variety of ice packs, some meant for people and others meant for food transport (possibly much colder than ice?). I have done this on my upper back (brown fat areas) many times and never had this effect.

Another thing was I tried to do a bath and could only tolerate 78 degree water for 10 minutes! AND it wasn't even deep enough to cover my thighs. I thought that since I find the face dunking easy and I have done the upper back ice packs with no problem that I could tolerate more. I live in a cold climate and try not to overdress. I also keep my house cooler than most- at around 65 F.
                PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

• Sounds like you are definitely responding to CT. If you normally take showers, I'd suggest lowering the temp a little each day or half-way through, and see how you do with that. Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn stresses that it doesn't have to be ice water or uncomfortable. Just low enough to make your body need to warm back up. Keep reporting in!

Comment

Didn't see this before I posted, but YES! I'm having the same problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                      Sounds like you are definitely responding to CT. If you normally take showers, I'd suggest lowering the temp a little each day or half-way through, and see how you do with that. Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn stresses that it doesn't have to be ice water or uncomfortable. Just low enough to make your body need to warm back up. Keep reporting in!
                      Thanks, I think I'll just have to take it slower than other people seem to be. I have tried lowering the temp in shower, but similar to the tub, my tolerance is embarrassingly low. I won't be giving up though, I'm determined to make this work for me.

For the first time in my life I would like to go swim in the lake this summer. Normally I will wade in to my knees and decide that was enough torture. I've always envied those that can just jump in and have fun. It is exciting to find a way to make ME that way too

Comment

• To all those experiencing soreness after spot CT - basic question, but do you have something between the ice and the skin? If not it could be ice burns. But yeah, I am also slightly sore after spot sessions, and I have been doing it for about 2 weeks and it is getting gradually less sore after sessions.

Comment

• Originally posted by primarilyprimal View Post
                          To all those experiencing soreness after spot CT - basic question, but do you have something between the ice and the skin? If not it could be ice burns. But yeah, I am also slightly sore after spot sessions, and I have been doing it for about 2 weeks and it is getting gradually less sore after sessions.
                          I wore a shirt under the packs and a tight tank over it to hold in place. I haven't done the spot sessions since. I didn't want to cause more harm. Glad yours are getting better. I might try those spots again in a few days.

Comment

• So can I really just put an ice pack on the back of my neck? For how long?

Comment

• I'm now wondering... babies have lots of BAT and then lose it as they get older. Is this just because we raise them in heat? Would grokette's baby never lose that level of BAT since cold would have remained a constant?

Comment

• Originally posted by otzi View Post
                                Lance Armstrong and Michael Phelps both use CT to increase athletic potential--see where it got them?
                                In the interest of being intellectually honest, it should be stated that while many elite athletes use ice baths post-workout, they do so to reduce the inflammatory impact of a heavy exercise regimen on their muscles/joints. This has nothing to do with CT.

Comment

Working...
                                X