Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a slump

Hey everyone,

I started Paleo in the summer of 2011 and was immediately hooked. I love the concept of Paleo and fully believe in all its goodness, but I'm troubled because as much as I believe it and know how great it is, I just can't get myself to do it right. For the first few months I did great and was super focused, giving myself an occasional cheat day. Since the new year has come in, I find myself always trying to be Paleo, but I always end up eating SAD foods. I don't know where things went wrong and why I've fallen into this slump.

Admittedly, I still love eating stuff like pizza and cake and all the other stuff that isn't Paleo. But I also love eating Paleo. I know that part of my trouble keeping it up has been a combination of being in school and working, and not always being prepared, therefore having to eat out. However, when I do cheat, I don't always go overboard. I'll try pick healthier options like whole wheat breads and stuff like that. But I just can't get myself to stick to it 100% and it bothers me. I had started off so strong, and now it's going downhill. I want to find a balance between Paleo and allowing myself some of the other foods I like to eat, but in search for that balance, the SAD foods have outweighed Paleo. What do I do to get back into it and commit again?

Um, you just do it. That's kind of like saying "I like wearing blue shirts, but lately I've been wearing shades of green or purple. I really want to just wear blue. How do I do it?"

Comment

Keep a journal, make a commitment, get a community that can help support you around you. Learn new recipes, work on your mind..reassociate SAD foods with negative things, and Paleo foods with positive things. Learn quick and easy solutions for quick meals..

Roasted chicken with frozen veggies, takes 5 min of prep time and is delicious
      Crockpots can be your friend, throw in the meat some water..
      Grill up some meat, steam some veggies use the juice from the meat + butter for flavor
      Omelets are quick and easy

Clean out your pantries, keep paleo friendly stuff at work..

Find out things that you can eat out that are mostly paleo.. bring your own salad dressing in a little container, get a grilled chicken salad, or get roasted chicken at grocery store, or nice salad bar... or just go with meat/veggies.
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Read a success story weekly or daily, listen/read paleo blogs
        Primal since March 2011

Comment

Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30). No gluten-free alternatives, no paleo baked goods, just real, whole food. Tell people you're doing it and/or get someone to do it with you for accountability so you don't slip off track (or feel guilty when you do!). It wasn't until I did a Whole30 in January that I felt like I could really stick with this because I felt so good and didn't miss any of the bad stuff. I have had two cookies and one burger with a bun since then, but no other "cheats".
          Depression Lies

Comment

eat more fat. like a shit ton of fat. buttered coffee ftw ribeye with compound butter... the more fat the less those psuedo foods appeal to you
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
              Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30). No gluten-free alternatives, no paleo baked goods, just real, whole food. Tell people you're doing it and/or get someone to do it with you for accountability so you don't slip off track (or feel guilty when you do!). It wasn't until I did a Whole30 in January that I felt like I could really stick with this because I felt so good and didn't miss any of the bad stuff. I have had two cookies and one burger with a bun since then, but no other "cheats".
              My first time ever doing Paleo was a Whole30. And I did it and felt great and continued on in that way, and having an occasional slip.

I understand you thinking that I don't believe in Paleo because of what I just described, but I do. It's like people who say they know smoking is bad for them, but do it anyways. And I still do mostly Paleo, but lately I've always had one small thing during the day that ruins it. This is why I'm writing, because I've tried doing it again, but for some reason it hasn't been happening. My will power is kinda down in the food area lately, but I don't know how to stop it.

I know this sounds ridiculous because all I need to do is "just do it," but if solving all problems were that simple, then no one would have problems. It's obviously much easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                eat more fat. like a shit ton of fat. buttered coffee ftw ribeye with compound butter... the more fat the less those psuedo foods appeal to you
                I do eat fat....I'll have avocado in the morning with some eggs, and always eat the fats on my meat, and some coco butter with almonds as a snack. But I feel like it's already too much, because I am trying to lose weight.

Comment

The problem as you so adequately put it is

Choice

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                  Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                  Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30).
                    Isn't Whole 30 like Super Paleo? What can you eat on Whole 30 that you can't on Paleo? Gluten-free alternatives aren't Paleo.

To Skaraminas, I propose that your attraction to SAD foods is a signal that your body is missing something that it was getting from those foods. If my experiences in life and on these forums have taught me anything it's that it's probably carbohydrate (probably specifically sugar), as a lot of people new to Paleo severely limit carbs. I suggest that you be more liberal with fruit and pile on the potatoes and yams.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Have you tried Intermittent fasting (Fast 5). There's a lot of information here on it and I think it really helps. I have the same problem which was because i ate my healthy breakfast, then obsessed about food for the rest of the day (what can I eat, what can't I eat). I would walk around stores reading the nutrition label of everything just trying to find a "snack" that would suit my craving. It was obsessing and food was taking over my life. I recently started doing IF and I feel so liberated. I don't have to worry about food at all because I'm taking it out of the equation for a large portion of my day. I live, then I eat within my chosen window. Period. Surprisingly so, I feel less hungry throughout the day when I don't eat breakfast than when I do!

I really recommend reading up on it. It not only curbed my appetite, but I don't crave sweets or non-paelo like I used to.
                      An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

Any chance you can simplify your eating? I eat 2 meals a day, no snacks. Works like a charm. I could sense my downfall would be lunch- never prepared, only yummy options at the nearby deli...non-primal. I look at it this way- only 2 times a day to mess up- and breakfast for me is so easy- LOVE eggs. So really only one meal to mess up - dinner....vs. giving myself 3-4 times a day to mess up. Plus I let myself eat the full range of primal foods- it takes the sting out of not being able to eat bread if I can have chocolate or a sweet potato.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          Isn't Whole 30 like Super Paleo? What can you eat on Whole 30 that you can't on Paleo? Gluten-free alternatives aren't Paleo.
                          Essentially super-paleo, yeah. Definitions may vary, but does a coconut-flour based baked good not count as paleo if all the ingredients are? I suppose in actuality, paleo is not baked goods of any kind, despite the makings. I felt similarly to the OP for 5 months until I did a Whole30. "Cheating" just doesn't seem like an option now and I'm actually eating much more restricted (sugar-free, no fructose, even in fruit) now than I ever have before. I don't think anything really changed in my life to make it easier, I just made it easier on myself.

When it comes down to it, you fill your life with the good foods, distance yourself from the bad ones, and take it one meal at a time. Take pride in the successes and try not to beat yourself up when you miss, just make plans for how you can avoid the mistake in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation again.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

Essentially super-paleo, yeah. Definitions may vary, but does a coconut-flour based baked good not count as paleo if all the ingredients are? I suppose in actuality, paleo is not baked goods of any kind, despite the makings.
                            Right. The manual labour required to make coconut flour or any of the nut flours just wouldn't have been worth the trouble back then. So what I'm wondering is that if you feel the OP isn't totally on board with Paleo, why recommend Super-Paleo which is even more difficult to follow?

and I'm actually eating much more restricted (sugar-free, no fructose, even in fruit)
                            you fill your life with the good foods, distance yourself from the bad ones
                            Sure but who decided fruit was bad food? Carbo-nazis and fructophobes, that's who. Yes, HFCS is horrible for you. But natural fructose in fruit comes packaged with fiber to minimize the impact on your liver. We should be able to appreciate that nature is not stupid. Wherever fruit grows naturally, it's been gathered and eaten throughout human history. We can't take generalized concepts like "fructose is bad" and apply them across the board. Dr. Lustig came out with his talk about fructose but it was directed at the increase of HFCS in junk food, now people are taking the idea way too far. Fruit is packed with nutrients. It should not be eliminated unless because of specific allergies.
                            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Actually committing to 100% paleo is what made it EASIER to stick with. Frequent cheats just reminded me of my old ways, the same with paleo frankenfoods... Its time to start new!
                              Primal since March 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X