My doctor just kind of blew my mind.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My doctor just kind of blew my mind.

So I had my cholesterol tested last week. It wasn't my idea - I was at the doctor getting a class 1 license medical and he mentioned that he's never tested it and it might be worth looking at. I thought what the hell.

So I'm sitting in the doctor's office this morning, waiting to see him about the results, and I'm having this argument in my head. You know, where he says I should cut the eggs and fat down, make sure I get whole grains, the usual schtick. Anyway, when he does come in he tells me my blood sugar is perfect, and my cholesterol levels are good, if maybe a tick higher than what the chart says to consider "normal". He tells me everything looks great, and if I wanted to try and nudge those levels down a bit I could make some dietary changes.

I take a breath and think "here we go..." when he says to me "It's not the red meat or eggs that raise your cholesterol, actually you want to cut down your bread, pasta, grains, and keep your sugar intake down. That's what actually leads to elevated cholesterol. Cut that stuff way down and you'll be good to go."

Here I was all ready for a statin fight, and I get told to cut down grains and sugar and enjoy meat. It's been a while since I've had any pleasant surprises on a Monday morning. I might have to celebrate my test results with a big steak tonight.

Maybe you should play the lottery as well. Awesome news!!!
    Georgette

Comment

It seems like a mind change is slowly trickling through the establishment on some of this ancestral-health, whole-foods stuff. Good news all round.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiice
        started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

I wasn't even there and this blew my mind just reading it! Never let this doctor go.
          “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

hahahha that's awesome!!

Comment

Comment

Wow, that's wonderful news! If there's one doc that gets it, hopefully that means there will be more! Stick with this one for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Croak View Post
                  +1000
                  Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Wow! I wish my doctor was like that! Send him over to the UK please!
                    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                      So I had my cholesterol tested last week. It wasn't my idea - I was at the doctor getting a class 1 license medical
                      That is fantastic on the results!

As in what is required for ATP? Just curious, it caught my attention. I used to have to get my Class III medicals.
                      Last edited by DavidR; 03-12-2012, 10:57 AM.

Comment

I might have to cross the border, soon....
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

The medical for my license was really basic. Blood pressure, listen to my heart, breathing, and read a vision chart. Then he just figured he'd check my cholesterol while I was in there (separate from the class 1 thing).

I enjoyed a guilt-free lunch of 6 leftover wings and 5 slices of bacon, and took out some nice ground beef for supper. Meat. It does a body good.

Comment

You lucky thing - mine is a 'the dietician's word is law' doctor.
                            Odille
                            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

You know, what a relief. I'm just starting on this and law-abiding citizen that I am, I got a little scared over the posts saying people's chlesterol is through the roof....so THANKS for sharing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X