Ketosis

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketosis

Am not too educated in this part but am curious. After we are off carbs for a while we start to burn fat which is ketosis? Is there a way to tell if one is in that zone?

Lipolysis, the process during which your body primarily burns fat as fuel rather than glucose, causes ketosis, which in turn generates ketones, the by-products of fat breakdown. During ketosis, ketones are released in your breath and your urine.

It usually takes at least two or more days of eating very low carb to reach this stage. Some people say they have a metallic taste in their mouth or their breath with smell slightly different (not bad almost sweeter). Mostly people feel energetic, their appetite becomes somewhat suppressed and they will often be thirsty.

Apparently there are actual litmus papers you can buy at some pharmacies that will detect ketones in your urine but I have never bothered with that sort of thing.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post
      Lipolysis, the process during which your body primarily burns fat as fuel rather than glucose, causes ketosis, which in turn generates ketones, the by-products of fat breakdown. During ketosis, ketones are released in your breath and your urine.

It usually takes at least two or more days of eating very low carb to reach this stage. Some people say they have a metallic taste in their mouth or their breath with smell slightly different (not bad almost sweeter). Mostly people feel energetic, their appetite becomes somewhat suppressed and they will often be thirsty.

Apparently there are actual litmus papers you can buy at some pharmacies that will detect ketones in your urine but I have never bothered with that sort of thing.
      Thanks. Know anything about ketosis and high uric acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Leanne View Post
        Some people say they have a metallic taste in their mouth or their breath with smell slightly different (not bad almost sweeter). Mostly people feel energetic, their appetite becomes somewhat suppressed and they will often be thirsty.

Ive never had the strange taste in my mouth even when Im well into ketosis. Id be lost without the ketostix!
        I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

i know im in ketosis by the taste. its like the taste of pennies i guess. my wife tells me my breathe smells like ive had a beer. i can taste im in befor ketosticks pick them up. and another thing you cant rely on ketosticks i used to wake up and show negative, you only show a positive reading when you have excess flowing about. so if your positive 1 day and neg the next but you stayed under your daily allowance its fine. go drink coffee and cream and give it an hour.

Comment

i can taste im in befor ketosticks pick them up

Comment

My funny ketosis story-- never been there before
              Today, but walked into the kitchen and my wife
              started sniffing "what's that smell?", sniffed me
              but couldn't identify, until she sniffed my breath,
              which she described as bing kind of like
              mothballs. I figured I must have gone into
              ketosis LOL Some IF lately but funny, I haven't
              been trying to strictly limit carbs.

Comment

Can someone tell why beta-oxidation isn't good enough? Or is it a precursor of ketosis?

Edit: nevermind. just had a really slow moment...
                Last edited by sakura_girl; 03-23-2012, 08:49 PM.
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Working...
                X