What is heavy cream?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is heavy cream?

I live in the Netherlands and when I translate heave cream from english to dutch it says "slagroom" and if I translate "slagroom" back to english it says whipped cream. Is heavy cream and whipped cream the same?
    well then

Heavy whipping cream is whipped cream before it is whipped.
    It essentially just cream with less water and protein than a lighter whipping cream or half and half.

Delicious.

Comment

Essentially, yes. In North America there are typically 3 types of cream: half-and-half (10% milk fat), table (or coffee) cream (18% milk fat), and whipping cream (35% milk fat). In Britain (and I suspect most other European countries) there is single cream (closer to our table cream) and double cream (about 40% milk fat).

On this forum, when you see "heavy cream" it's a catch-all term meaning any liquid cream that's more than 30% milk fat.

Comment

Thank you people, I came on to ask this exact question today. In Oz we have pure cream (35%), thickened cream (the same but thickened with gelatine) an double cream 40% + up.
        Odille
        F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
        following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

Here we have Whipping cream, which is usually 33% to 36%. We also have heavy cream which is listed as 52% on the label.

Comment

Heavy cream is probably double cream, which I think is 40%.

We do have a 48% which is extra thick double cream, used for spooning onto dishes, although you could save the expense and buy double cream and just whip it up to the consistency you require!

Comment

I stand corrected. Our double cream is 48% milk fat, which is also the same as the extra thick double cream. We also have a 55% milk fat cream called clotted cream.

Comment

in holland its probably the same as in switzerland / germany; full fat cream

ohhh i miss cornish clotted cream

7/14: 156 lbs.
                weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
                7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

Comment

Clotted cream is actually different. It's cooked, not just pasteurized. Still yummy, but most of it has calcium chloride added if that sort of thing bothers you.

Comment

What are some uses for heavy cream other than putting it in coffee?
                    “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Koozie View Post

Comment

- melt it with chocolate to make ganache
                        - whip it and fold melted chocolate or fruit puree in it for mousse
                        - used in creamy sauces (alfredo, etc)
                        - pouring it over fresh berries!

Comment

Drink it?

Just kidding, we have it with good old British strawberries which is possibly my favourite dessert ever, you can make a smashing cream sauce to have with liver if you like that or just whack it in a smoothy for a really luxurious, coat your mouth with opulence, breakfast. The ideas are endless really.

Comment

Putting it on blueberries, putting it on strawberries, using it in really nice scrambled eggs, as part of a pan sauce for any kind of meat, in pate, in a cheese sauce for cauliflower or broccoli... there are LOTS of ways to enjoy heavy cream!

Comment

Originally posted by aikidochris View Post
                              Drink it?

Just kidding, we have it with good old British strawberries which is possibly my favourite dessert ever, you can make a smashing cream sauce to have with liver if you like that or just whack it in a smoothy for a really luxurious, coat your mouth with opulence, breakfast. The ideas are endless really.
                              Yeah... all that!
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X