Do I need coconut oil?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need coconut oil?

Coconut oil seems to be a big thing around here. But after trying to cook with coconut oil, put it in my coffee, and eat coconut meat I've finally concluded .... I don't like coconuts!
    Do I really need to consume coconut oil for any reason?

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Coconut oil seems to be a big thing around here. But after trying to cook with coconut oil, put it in my coffee, and eat coconut meat I've finally concluded .... I don't like coconuts!
    I don't care for it, gives me a headache.

Comment

No, it's not necessary for health. It's just an oil that seems to be largely beneficial/benign, and most people like the taste of coconut especially in certain dishes. It seems to help some people stay warm or speed up their fat metabolism. But I think you can be perfectly healthy and never touch the stuff in your life.

I personally cook mainly with pastured butter and occasional bacon grease. I consume coconut oil pretty infrequently.
      Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I don't like it either. It gives me heartburn and make me very tired. Every few months I break down and I try it again convinced I'll like it this time - but it's always the same. I do like it in desserts - but rarely have them anyway.
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
          I don't like coconuts!
          No, you don't.
          Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
          Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
          Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
          Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Comment

I only use the expeller-pressed stuff because I don't like the taste either. I use it for general high-heat frying where butter would not work well. All the perks of coconut oil, none of the taste.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

I love coconut oil, but like others have said, it's not a necessity. But, I'll say this: one of the doctors on Robert Su M.D.'s podcast mentioned how she fed her alzheimer's suffering husband coconut oil, and improved his memory function; he, and she also cut down the carbohydrate consumption. But, I think the overriding factor was the fact the husband consumed saturated fat, and increased cholesterol (how they agreed a lot of alzheimer's patients have sub-par cholesterol levels).
              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I'm always confused about the coconut oil in the coffee... what's the point of that anyway?
                An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

Originally posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
                  I'm always confused about the coconut oil in the coffee... what's the point of that anyway?
                  It tastes divine and it's not because you added sugar?
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                    It tastes divine and it's not because you added sugar?
                    What? haha I don't add sugar to my coffee. I just don't understand the health benefit of adding it to the coffee.

Comment

What? haha I don't add sugar to my coffee. I just don't understand the health benefit of adding it to the coffee.
                      Well, duh.....it keeps bullets from penetrating your body. Everyone knows that!

Comment

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
                        Well, duh.....it keeps bullets from penetrating your body. Everyone knows that!
                        ...so I guess there's no answer to this question?

Comment

It tastes better than black coffee and isn't as terrible for you as straight sugar? I never implied there was a health benefit.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Here's a reason to eat coconut oil:

Looks like coconut oil in combination with ketogenic dieting is used to raise HDL. I, personally, use 3000mg of Niacin (Nicotonic acid) in conjunction with my coconut oil (But NOT on a ketogenic diet) specifically to help raise my HDL. Haven't had blood tested recently, though.

"One of the most powerful, and probably also benign, ways to raise HDL is intermittent fasting or ketogenic dieting, with ketosis enhanced by the use of coconut oil or MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) oil."
                            "Niacin, the most effective pharmaceutical for raising HDL, has some toxicity and is probably inferior to coconut oil and intermittent fasting except in people with protozoal or fungal infections."
                            See SOURCE here.
                            Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 03-11-2012, 08:16 PM.
                            Heaviest: 1-22-2012 = 203 lbs, of being skinny fat, beginning PB
                            Current: = 182 lbs. 14% body fat.
                            Goal: 175 lbs. was made in April 2013.

Comment

It rubs the coconut oil on it's skin when ever it's told or it gets the hose again.

Comment

Working...
                              X