Nutrition in the fat from beef heart.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition in the fat from beef heart.

Google fail. Anybody know more about the fat from the heart on a cow? It's delicious and abundant, and affordable. I was hoping for some kind of info about the electrolytes, fat types, etc. in it.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

I bought a beef heart and there was hardly any fat on it at all. Instructions I read online said to cut it off along with the connective tissue that it's attached to all around the heart. I spent the whole week eating my beef heart last week. I don't have any answers for you about what qualities the fat will have. But I have read the heart itself has a lot of CoQ10 so maybe the fat has some, too.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I know that heart has one of the highest CoQ10 concentrations.

Here's a breakdown of heart, from a cow with a non-specified diet: Show Foods
      And here's a grass-fed steak breakdown: Show Foods

From looking at the data, looks like the unspecified-diet heart has twice the zinc, 4-5 times more thiamine, 9 times more riboflavin, over quadruple the b12, a bit more niacin, BUT has only 1/3 the b6 of steak, only 1/6 the folate, and some other little differences.
      There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

Hmmm.....never figured heart was worth eating. I just thought it was plain old muscle meat. Maybe I'll give it a try.

To the OP - I didn't know there was fat associated with heart tissue. The heart I've seen does not have fat on it - are you sure it is not kidney fat?
        Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

The heart I got looked like these:

Is all that white matter on the top not fat?
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Yeah, mine came with fat like that, but all the recipe videos and things I looked up said to cut it off as it's mixed with connective tissue. I suppose you could render it, but that won't answer your question as to what, if anything, makes the fat there differently nutritious from other fat.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Oh, well. It's better than bone marrow and I'm just going to eat it. The cordae tendonae actually soften up a bit and are easy to swallow. As for the valves, they cooked soft just fine. I seriously have eaten every bite, top to bottom, except for the few slices I have left in the freezer.
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I usually give the super-chewy parts around the arteries to my dog. He loves them and I'm not crazy about having to chew that hard.
                Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the fat around the heart is "more saturated" than subcutaneous fat?
                  Anyway, if you cut it off and render it, you get gorgeous rock-hard white tallow
                  Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
                  Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
                  "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Comment

Huh...I trimmed away the fat in my beef heart since it was filled with so much connective tissue. I just wanted to do a quick sear and there was no way that fat and tissue would've cooked down.

There're also those little strings that are in there which I trim away. They seemed like they would cook up like rubber bands.

And all that trouble is why I haven't gotten beef heart since, lol. Maybe I should consider it for slow cooking.

Comment

"YOU DO NOT NEED IODINE SUPPLEMENTS. Eat a little seaweed once or twice a week. More than that, and you're probably just mauling your thyroid."

Science? Dr. Brownstien and all the people he has cured with iodine may disagree with you. Applied correctly, it can be very appropriate.

Comment

Science? Dr. Brownstien and all the people he has cured with iodine may disagree with you. Applied correctly, it can be very appropriate.
                        Applied correctly, yes. Shoved on every hapless poster with a valid question (by Grizz with his pet nutrient of the month), no.

Huh...I trimmed away the fat in my beef heart since it was filled with so much connective tissue. I just wanted to do a quick sear and there was no way that fat and tissue would've cooked down.

There're also those little strings that are in there which I trim away. They seemed like they would cook up like rubber bands.

And all that trouble is why I haven't gotten beef heart since, lol. Maybe I should consider it for slow cooking.
                        I rotated the heart on the cutting block and just sliced off thin steaks as I went. So all the fat and meat are about 1" thick at the thickest. It cooks through quite nicely in the pan.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by vnvdvci View Post
                          Maybe I should consider it for slow cooking.
                          I always slow cook mine. Beef heart and liver are currently the only 100% grass fed/organic meats I purchase (due to price). I'm the only one in my house who will eat them (More for me!). So, I put it in the crockpot (the heart, not the liver)with some onions, celery, garlic, & spices and let it go for 8 - 10 hrs on low. It comes out very tender. I then slice it up and freeze it. That way I can have some when I like.

I also drink the broth.
                          "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

Comment

I find beef heart more palatable than liver, too.
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I had strips of rare beef heart and sunny eggs for lunch...
                              I really prefer my heart seared, it's excellent that way but needs to be well trimmed.

It's one of those meats that is either great barely cooked, or cooked ALL day. LOL
                              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Working...
                              X