Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to buy at a big Asian supermarket

Hi all,

I have a small supermarket near me with limited organic fare and no grass fed meat or dairy. There is however another very big Asian supermarket also near me. I've been in there a few times but don't recognise a lot of the foods and a lot of the packaging description is often in some kind of asian writing. If you had access to a large Asian supermarket what kind of healthy products would you look for?

Thanks!
    Nick

I had access to a large Asian supermarket until last year and while I normally didn't buy anything that was packaged, I would frequently buy the Okinawan (purple) sweet potatoes! Yum!

Comment

Agar, seaweed, fish, seasonings/spices, cooking utensils, edamame....there's so many good things!

Comment

My Chinese supermarket staples are dried seaweed, dried mushrooms, purple sweet potatoes, Chinese vegetables (napa cabbage, gai lan, garlic chives, and amaranth are my favorite), and fresh seafood (from the tank, preferably). Oh! And duck/chicken gizzard/heart.

Other Primal things you could get are canned coconut milk, fresh coconut (both young Thai and mature), goat meat, oxtail, tendon, other ruminant innards, miso, and quail eggs. Yum!
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

There is an Asian supermarket near me, and they have great prices on fish and meats. I did notice though that a lot of the frozen fish had water and salt added to the ingredients. Not sure if that makes it something I should stay away from or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
            My Chinese supermarket staples are dried seaweed, dried mushrooms, purple sweet potatoes, Chinese vegetables (napa cabbage, gai lan, garlic chives, and amaranth are my favorite), and fresh seafood (from the tank, preferably). Oh! And duck/chicken gizzard/heart.

Other Primal things you could get are canned coconut milk, fresh coconut (both young Thai and mature), goat meat, oxtail, tendon, other ruminant innards, miso, and quail eggs. Yum!
            All this, and add whole duck ($9.99, Canadian duck - not China LOL) and also THINLY sliced Korean style pork belly/butt which makes an awesome, awesome bacon substitute. They're usually sold rolled into little fingers, frozen. We don't eat toxic processed bacon anymore since discovering Korean style sliced meat. I add sea salt and potassium, and it is the best breakfast meat!
            5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Originally posted by GrokON View Post
              All this, and add whole duck ($9.99, Canadian duck - not China LOL) and also THINLY sliced Korean style pork belly/butt which makes an awesome, awesome bacon substitute. They're usually sold rolled into little fingers, frozen. We don't eat toxic processed bacon anymore since discovering Korean style sliced meat. I add sea salt and potassium, and it is the best breakfast meat!
              +1 on the pork butt.
              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                +1 on the pork butt.
                +2. I gorge myself on AYCE KBBQ on mainly the pork butt.

Comment

If the food has a list of ingredients, even in another language, you're probably better off not eating it!

Apart from dried mushrooms and seaweed, a lot of Asian product have msg and some wacky colourings that are best avoided.

Even the coconut milk and cream at my locl have 3-4 additives.
                  There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

Comment

Get a durian.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                      Get a durian.
                      Lol! The irony.

On a similar tangent, I haven't seen the meat Mondays thread in a while

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmcmeaty View Post
                        Oohhh I also forgot to mention that you can probably find frozen coconut milk too. It may or may not have additives, but it doesn't hurt to check, right?

Comment

sweet potato varieties are hard to beat, seaweed and pickled veggies are usually great, and they tend to have duck eggs and quail eggs in various forms. good seafood sections, often live.

everyone i've been to though has inorganic produce and CAFO meat.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                            Lol! The irony.

On a similar tangent, I haven't seen the meat Mondays thread in a while
                            That's because none of you were cool enough to keep it going, and providing free entertaining content on a website I do not own is beneath me most of the time these days.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsmcmeaty View Post
                              If the food has a list of ingredients, even in another language, you're probably better off not eating it!

Apart from dried mushrooms and seaweed, a lot of Asian product have msg and some wacky colourings that are best avoided.

That's why I make sure those items I get (Kimchi being one of them) from Asian shops don't have those. And, I do like how most of the things there are spelled out when I go through their stuff.. there's English in the spots needing to be in English. Reading food labels is mundane, and tweaks the brain a little, but after making the right choice(s) consistently, you'll grab stuff in a thoughtless manner, like supermarket sweep!
                              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Working...
                              X