Almonds 1,280 mg/100 gram

Cashews 1,866 mg/100 gram

Chestnuts 47 mg/100 gram

Hazelnuts 1,620 mg/100 gram

Peanuts, toasted 933 mg/100 gram

Jif peanut butter 1,252 mg/100 gram

Black walnuts 1,977 mg/100 gram

English walnuts 760 mg/100 gram

This is all I could find. But does anyone know the phytic acid levels in pecans and macadamias?
    well then

Fun fact: phytic acid seems to inhibit cancer.

Cancer Inhibition by Inositol Hexaphosphate (IP6) and Inositol: From Laboratory to Clinic

Phytic acid is good for you.

Phytic acid seems to inhibit absorption of iron...wow, how many people are deficient in iron? Seriously. It is a complete non issue.
    Last edited by jimhensen; 03-10-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Phytic acid also inhibits zinc absorption - anyone who suffers from autoimmune disorders or bad skin should not be ingesting a lot of phytic acid.

I soak nuts in warm salt water, then dehydrate - this removes the phytic acid; they end up tasting better that way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Roguls View Post
        I soak nuts in warm salt water, then dehydrate - this removes the phytic acid; they end up tasting better that way, too.
        Is it bad to eat them wet? Or does it just seem kind of disgusting so not many people leave them that way?
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
          Is it bad to eat them wet? Or does it just seem kind of disgusting so not many people leave them that way?
          Yeah, they're kind of gross right after the soak. All wet and...squishy.

That said, soaked cashews can be pureed into deeeelightful things.

But I wouldn't eat a handful of soaked nuts. No ma'am.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I eat them immediately after I've soaked them, I did read that you should rinse them well and never drink the soaking water because its very acidic in the body.

Comment

That's why some strict paleo (from what I've been listening to, so far (podcasts)) restrict nuts. I've more or less, stopped eating nuts with regularity, and I think I'm all the better for it.
              If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                Phytic acid seems to inhibit absorption of iron...wow, how many people are deficient in iron? Seriously. It is a complete non issue.
                Yes, because pregnant ladies never have a problem with...oh wait.

Iron-deficiency anemia in pregnancy | BabyCenter

Dunh dunh dunh!
                Steph
                My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Working...
                X