Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the public's perception of intermittent fasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • the public's perception of intermittent fasting

    The general public is hostile towards the paleo/primal diet but even more so I have noticed about intermittent fasting. You start talking about skipping meals and going long periods between meals and people practically go off the deep end. I just been asked on another forum in which people are following a similar diet to primal to discontinue mentioning IF. It is disturbing their community they say. Well, hmmmmm.......... I am a Hunter genotype and believe this is darned good advice for anyone with similar genes. But otoh, people of all blood types have fasted for thousands of years. Only here in America have we invented the 3 meal a day convention that causes more problems than it solves. And no, Americans, it isn't healthy.

  • #2
    To be fair, it does sound super unhealthy if you're not hep to the science behind it. It sounds more like an anorexia starvation tactic than a legitimate health practice. And I say this as someone who does IF.

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gravyboat View Post
      To be fair, it does sound super unhealthy if you're not hep to the science behind it. It sounds more like an anorexia starvation tactic than a legitimate health practice. And I say this as someone who does IF.
      It's just so freaking lame I'm sorry. The public is dumber than a doornail and hopelessly programmed.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
        It's just so freaking lame I'm sorry. The public is dumber than a doornail and hopelessly programmed.
        Aye, but it's always gonna be like that. I think the general public just doesn't give a damn, so they eat what's given to them. I mean, we've got other things to worry about, so it's a lot more convenient listening to CW, oprah, Dr oz, etc.. than looking into it yourself.

        Comment


        • #5
          People who finish dinner at 7 and don't eat again until breakfast at 7 the next morning are already fasting for 12 hours at a stretch, and this is considered completely normal. Extend the fast to 16 or 18 hours by skipping your hearty breakfast of Wheaties and Sunny D, though, and you're obviously killing yourself Personally, I've never cared for breakfast, even during my worst implementations of the SAD. Giving it up entirely (apart from morning coffee) has been a relief.
          6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

          “Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
          ― Søren Kierkegaard

          Comment


          • #6
            Yeah, it's too bad it's that way. I get the same reaction when I tell people I IF. Funny thing is that I used to believe that myself. I'm insulin resistant and was told by doctor's that I needed to eat 6 small meals a day to keep my insulin even. I'd get the shakes and dizzy when I went too long without food.

            I read up on IF when starting primal and thought it wouldn't work for me but decided to give it a try after doing more research. I was surprised that my body responded well to it. I NEVER get the shakes anymore from not eating and I don't eat after 7pm at night and usually don't eat the next day until noon or later. I really couldn't believe how much better I felt.

            My point being that if I hadn't experimented myself I would've never seen how great it works for me. So I usually tell my story to people when they get all negative about IF, what they choose to do with the info is up to them.

            Comment


            • #7
              I haven't told anyone except my mum and husband about my now daily IF, who have heard all about my primal journey as I've got more and more into it, and know about my weight/metabolic troubles. I figure it's no one elses business, and I KNOW that if I told other people I would immediately get sh*t and be judged and they'd start flinging words like eating disorder. But I know that the meals I do eat are hearty, balanced, lots of veg, lean meat, and are much healthier than some of the meals I see my friends eat.

              So unfortunately I find it just easier not to tell, unless I am speaking to a fellow convert. That's why I love reading these boards.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sugarcrystal8 View Post
                Yeah, it's too bad it's that way. I get the same reaction when I tell people I IF. Funny thing is that I used to believe that myself. I'm insulin resistant and was told by doctor's that I needed to eat 6 small meals a day to keep my insulin even. I'd get the shakes and dizzy when I went too long without food.

                I read up on IF when starting primal and thought it wouldn't work for me but decided to give it a try after doing more research. I was surprised that my body responded well to it. I NEVER get the shakes anymore from not eating and I don't eat after 7pm at night and usually don't eat the next day until noon or later. I really couldn't believe how much better I felt.

                My point being that if I hadn't experimented myself I would've never seen how great it works for me. So I usually tell my story to people when they get all negative about IF, what they choose to do with the info is up to them.
                +1

                I have always been interested in healthier eating/holistic stuff, as a kid I gave up chocolate and candy for a while because I heard somewhere that eating too much could make you diabetic, and in high school, about 15 years ago, I gave up sugar again (my parents served me a sweet potato with a candle in it for my 18th birthday! I was always open minded about trying new 'healthy things', and honestly, if someone had started talking about IFing, I would have instantly associating it with starvation and anorexia and crashing your metabolism, because I was surrounded by nothing but CW info about eating frequent small meals.

                It's only been in the last few months that I've started IFing (and now that I do, I could never go back to 3 meals a day and heaven forbid snacking!). What made the difference? Being able to read articles from various sources citing solid research about how healthy and beneficial it is, reading about people's personal experiences with it, and taking the time to mull it all over and give it a try for myself. Oh ya, and already eating a high protein/moderate to low carb diet that keeps my hunger well regulated. Fasting when not keto-adapted or whatever you want to call is pure hell, and if people eating mostly SAD foods attempted IFing, they likely would have blood sugar crashes and be a walking nightmare, so it doesn't surprise me if they think it's a bad thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I never had a weight problem until I started eating breakfast. At the time, there wasn't anyone that said it was okay to skip meals if you weren't hungry, but many that parroted the *breakfast is the most important meal* dogma. I thought I needed to 'eat healthier' Boy was I wrong!!

                  In retrospect, considering our caveman heritage, eating in the morning probably is the least important meal~ otherwise, why would we have approximately 3 days of glycogen stored in our liver? I IF because it feels more natural to me~ not hungry yet, and it's after 2pm. Why burden my body with digestion when I'm not done 'hunting' yet?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Intermittent fasting? How will I get my 6 small grain-laden meals per day in if I do that?!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by cantare View Post
                      People who finish dinner at 7 and don't eat again until breakfast at 7 the next morning are already fasting for 12 hours at a stretch, and this is considered completely normal. Extend the fast to 16 or 18 hours by skipping your hearty breakfast of Wheaties and Sunny D, though, and you're obviously killing yourself Personally, I've never cared for breakfast, even during my worst implementations of the SAD. Giving it up entirely (apart from morning coffee) has been a relief.
                      This! I'm doing the IF thing every day, I've cut out breakfast completely. It feels good to be doing it, but I am definitely still hungry ... its 8:40am as I write this, I probably won't eat until midday, but I am feeling hungry right now. I've just learned to live with it.

                      Totally agree about the herd mentality issue though, drives me insane. People jump way down my throat when I stupidly mention I don't have breakfast. When I try to explain why it's an exercise in total frustration.
                      Buzz71
                      Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
                      Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
                      Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
                      My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sihana
                        It is simple to deal with those people

                        1. Explain that I eat meat and veggies
                        2. Explain that I don't eat breakfast because I am not hungry
                        3. Explain that if I eat when I am not hungry, that I may gain weight.
                        4. Explain that by their suggestion, I should be eating breakfast when I am not hungry, and that they want me to gain weight.
                        5. Ask why do they want me to go back to being obese.
                        6. Smile as they look dumbfounded and/or sheepish.
                        7. Accept their apologies
                        If only it was that easy! Never underestimate the power of people to cling to their CW views. Even when I point out similar, it just does not compute in my experience, the "experts" have "proven" CW in their mind and nothing is going to change their minds! I usually find that I lose them at point 3 or 4. Even though I am now in my healthy weight range, people tell me I am "too thin" and "wasting away". Normal in most people's CW view is on the overweight side ... probably because it helps to self-justify their own behaviour.

                        Don't mean to come across as all negative, I've just had some recent bad experiences with people. I think your approach is good though, I will keep trying
                        Buzz71
                        Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
                        Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
                        Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
                        My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The weird thing is that TRULY active people don't have time to eat 6 times a day! They eat 2, maybe three times a day and have hard, physical jobs. The people who seem to think you will die without 3 meals and 2 snacks are people who sit on their rears in offices. I think that whole concept is promoted by "meal replacement" companies. F that. I want a real yummy hot meal, 2x a day! I love a plate with a bunch of food. :-)

                          The odd thing is that Womens Health magazine mentioned this month that eating only two times a day is OK if it works for you. I hope it becomes more accepted that some people d better with different eating schedules. LOL, I ate this morning at 6:30 am. I did errands, walked a dog, did my sprint workout, rode my horse, did more errands...and am just now thinking maybe dinner will be good in a couple of hours.

                          Of course, CW breakfast...oatmeal and OJ won't get you very far.....

                          http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                          Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Love your work ladies!
                            Buzz71
                            Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
                            Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
                            Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
                            My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              'Only here in America have we invented the 3 meal a day '
                              sorry to be a pedant but im pretty sure 3 meals a day was invented long before america existed
                              If man made it, don't eat it

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X