No announcement yet.

Anyone not here for weight loss?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started eating this way a few years ago to for general health reasons and it ended up pretty much healing my IBS and a nice side affect is that it's made it a hell of a lot easier to stay in shape.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I didn't start for weight loss (though I have lost about 13 pounds) -- I started because I was jealous of my husband's frolicking through fields of bacon. Stayed because it eliminated my IBS and crazy sugar cravings.

Comment

I am here because of hereditary high cholesterol that has caused the death of every male in my family prior to the age of 70. I want to be the first to make it to that age and have been looking for the answer for many years. I even became a vegetarian for a year, which resulted in almost no change to my cholesterol levels and I felt terrible. After that debacle I had decided to just go back to a "normal" healthy diet when a friend suggested going Paleo. At 51 years old I lost 19 pounds, feel better than I have in many years and can't stop looking at myself in the mirror.

Comment

I came here looking for ways to treat cardiovascular disease without debilitating drugs. Lost some weight along the way by the CVD is my first priority
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I went paleo/primal for general health as well as wanting to lose some body fat. Most of the year this really does give me boundless energy - I never feel tired.

My eczema and chronic rhinitis are much better and I don't get chronic sinus infections, colds and sore throats throughout the winter as I used to. My digestive system is in better shape too. I can fast for 16 hours with ease and don't need to snack any more.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I am interested in feeling better. Part of that is weight loss, but being fat has never kept me on a program before. What keeps me coming back to primal, is how awful I feel when I am not eating right. The eating is the largest component of it for me so far. Next up in my version of primal, is making sure I get enough sleep, sunlight and slow movement.
              I think many of us focus on 'weight loss' because a large indicator of our poor health is our weight. When that comes down, we start feeling better. That said, I am still over-weight, but feeling great. I don't worry as much about the weight coming off as long as I feel this good. (This does not prevent me from being happier when I lose pounds and inches!)
              Lex 26 has a new component to her journal, which I am thinking of incorporating: what she is doing to reduce her stress levels.

Comment

Well, I used to never read into nutritional science. I used to be strictly invested in my skin's health.

After probably a year of day-in-day-out reading on what affects skin, you'll soon realize how incredibly FRUSTRATING it is to pinpoint the right diet for skin. Skin has multi-variable causes.

However, one day I was on my elliptical in the gym and I had just downloaded the book "Why We Get Fat" (Gary Taubes). I was down to about 170 lbs. Then Gary started telling me that everything I knew about nutrition and exercise is WRONG, and had very strong points to back it up.

Ever since then, the set-point weight theory and clear skin theory of diet has had a strong correlation in the paleo/primal sphere, and I haven't looked back.

Here's the irony: I've found success with weight loss (in progress), but have NOT found success in it clearing my skin. Again, bad skin is multi-variable. Diet can't necessarily correct it. I'm so adamently certain about this fact that anyone try me I'll be ready for a fight! Future paleo derm you're talking to!

So, sadly enough, as much as I'd like to believe I'm a 5'10" female with 180 lb of pure muscle, I'm here now to finish my weight loss journey. After discovering primal eating I broke up with my boyfriend and ate myself to ten pounds. Don't try me on this either! I didn't know how bad Starbucks could do me in! At the side, I enjoy the modest improvements in my acne.
                Last edited by kcarol; 03-10-2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

have you tried not washing your face with anything, just rubbing in olive oil at night and leaving it, when you wake up your skin looks much better, as is my experience, you'd think it would make acne worse but it makes it better
                  If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

I've lost weight since going 110% primal (late September), and been losing weight due to fasting. However, it was not my intention to!
                    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I initially went for a diet change because my appetite was out of control and I was in tears fighting against my hunger. I figured weight loss would never happen for me. But once I found relief from my hunger the weight loss happened and I got into that. But honestly at the start I would have been happy to be my then weight and just not feel starving anymore.

Even if weight loss is a boring topic to you if you read some of the weight loss topics you'll see a lot of people are more amazed by the other health benefits.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

here for the food. i'd like to swap maybe 15lbs of fat for muscle, but it's not really the motivating factor as to why i'm here (and it's not really a goal ATM).
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

I do not need to loose weight, but in fact after moving to primal now three months ago, I have become even leaner and more muscular. Better food and less exercise (but with heavier weights and alternated with Tabata HIIT sessions).

Brain fog - gone; Sleep - restored; Stress - seriously down; Happiness - up; Blood pressure - down and constant; chocolate cravings - gone; Generally, I feel very good.

I cut the grains, legumes and eat a lot of meat and fatty fish, colourful, in-season vegetables and fat!

Sleep issues and brain-fog were perhaps main drivers to try. It worked and the positive effects went way beyond just those two as described above.

Remember to get enough fat. We are so conditioned on low fat. As said, leaner and meaner than ever, but with serious quantities of bacon, butter, avocados, clotted cream, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by erkan View Post
                            I do not need to loose weight, but in fact after moving to primal now three months ago, I have become even leaner and more muscular. Better food and less exercise (but with heavier weights and alternated with Tabata HIIT sessions).

Brain fog - gone; Sleep - restored; Stress - seriously down; Happiness - up; Blood pressure - down and constant; chocolate cravings - gone; Generally, I feel very good.

I cut the grains, legumes and eat a lot of meat and fatty fish, colourful, in-season vegetables and fat!

Sleep issues and brain-fog were perhaps main drivers to try. It worked and the positive effects went way beyond just those two as described above.

Remember to get enough fat. We are so conditioned on low fat. As said, leaner and meaner than ever, but with serious quantities of bacon, butter, avocados, clotted cream, etc.

Right on. That's what I noticed the day after I went through a basic Primal eating plan..
                            If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Here for the health benefits. I've lost a lot of pain and ill health by losing some food groups.

Weight (on the scales lol) about the same - don't need to lose any. Body shape changed to leaner however.
                              Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

I'm actually trying to put on a few pounds, but what I've gained by eating this way has outweighed that really, I'm just happier to feel better, I never thought I would have eaten some of the stuff that I have in the last six months or so, and loving it! It's got to be the first winter that I haven't caught a cold, which is a result!

Some of the things I've learned/picked up by reading what's been posted on MDA has been useful as well.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X