Do you eat cinnamon? How?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you eat cinnamon? How?

I've heard about the health benefits of cinnamon, but now that I'm not doing grains or dairy, I'm not sure how to incorporate it into my diet. Any suggestions?

Well, I put a shake in my coffee and my herbal teas, makes it rich and yummy.

Sooze

Comment

For a "desert" you could make an omelet with just eggs, and slice some fruit to put over it and sprinkle cocoa powder and cinnamon.

Or add it to a variety of shakes.

If you drink coffee, try out adding cinnamon to it. Tastes pretty good.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
      Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
      I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

In tea, on fruit, and in protein pudding are mine.

Cinnamon with fruit is a good idea because it will lower the glycemic index of a meal, reducing the amount of insulin the pancreas has to secrete.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I like it on my primal treats. Delicious on egg custard and on coconut flakes mixed with coconut milk. When I eat sweet potato or pumpkin I always use a good bit too. And definitely on fruit, as Stabby mentioned.

Comment

In my scrambled eggs.

Cinnameggs.

Yeah.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Nice. I eat apples often, so will have to sprinkle on some cinnamon next time.

Does anyone use cinnamon on meat or vegetables?

Comment

It's good on squash, sweet potatoes, or pumpkin. If you eat fruit, you can sprinkle it on pretty much any fruit and it'll taste pretty good. Sprinkle it in tea and coffee. This sounds crazy, but try it on bacon! It's really good. Sometimes I add a few big sprinkles to my daily salad. It adds a really unique flavor to a salad when combined with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Carpe Diem!

Comment

Anything with a Mexican flavor can benefit from a little cinnamon--esp. chicken dishes.

Comment

vietnamese cinnamon is delicious. I use it with any and all curries I make, or just straight up to give a sweet flavor to savory meat. Great it all stir fries.

Comment

I just gave Cinnachicken a try.

Don't :/

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

@Stabby LOL

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
                        Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
                        I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

My grandma likes to put it in her green tea.

The one time she offered me some, she'd confused the chili powder for cinnamon. It was gross, but i didn't say anything, because i thought she was loosing it and didn't want to alarm her. She got a good laugh at it later, but i still don't trust her drinks.

Comment

Sprinkle cinnamon on bacon while it is frying, so yummy.

Comment

During a low-calorie-diet indiscretion a few years ago, I got going with a big Good Earth Tea habit. I thought it was caffeine-free, but checked the package one day and found out it had black tea in it. But I loved it so much I kept on with my one or two cups a day.

During that time, my blood pressure, un-medicated, went from roughly 140/92 to 170/20. I thought maybe the diet might have something in its favor after all -- but then one day I explored Wikipedia's cinnamon page.

I learned that most cinnamon in North America is really cassia, a close cinnamon relative. Therefore, my Good Earth Tea, which has a strong cinnamon flavor, probably contained cassia. Wikipedia has some very interesting things to say about cassia as well. It's a blood thinner, helpful for people with diabetes II, and it contains coumarin.

Then a piano customer who loves and works with horses told me that foundering horses (with the horse version of diabetes from too much grain and lush pasture) were given cassia to improve their micro-circulation so that their hooves didn't fail and come off.

After a few weeks of my Good Earth Tea habit, I noticed that when I tested my morning sugars, the blood seemed thinner. I thought this was all the water the diet asked me to drink. But once I discovered the nature of cassia I realized I had been using a blood thinner, and probably more than I should have. If I had a scratch, it would bleed quite a bit for quite awhile. So I started having a cup of Good Earth Tea every third or fourth day instead of every morning without fail, and I made sure I didn't have other blood thinners, like aspirin or Vitamin E, at the same time.

So, if you want to have "cinnamon", I'd recommend Good Earth Tea, the right amount of it, anyway. It's also delicious.

Thanks for asking the question. I've been following some Forum threads for a few days, but hadn't registered yet.

My username is what a customer&#39;s kid called me one day. <grin>

Comment

Working...
                              X