Warning against Ketogenic diets during pregnancy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning against Ketogenic diets during pregnancy

There are studies done that found that if women are on a ketogenic diet during pregnancy the gene expression on the baby is changed as the baby thinks it is going into a starvation environment and changes their metabolism permanently to store fat. Ketogenic diets over long periods of time can also cause your t3/t4 ratio out of whack which screws up your thyroid.

Final Note: Primal/Paleo does not have to be ketogenic
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

I suppose if Grok's mate was PG and only ate meat, it would account for the *thrifty gene* we keep hearing about?

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
      I suppose if Grok's mate was PG and only ate meat, it would account for the *thrifty gene* we keep hearing about?
      Seems very plausible. I'm glad I found that out before hand because I'll certainly make a point to eat a lot more carbs then I do now when I'm pregnant (since now I only eat >100g a couple days a week, with some days <50)
      Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
        There are studies done that found that if women are on a ketogenic diet during pregnancy the gene expression on the baby is changed as the baby thinks it is going into a starvation environment and changes their metabolism permanently to store fat. Ketogenic diets over long periods of time can also cause your t3/t4 ratio out of whack which screws up your thyroid.

Final Note: Primal/Paleo does not have to be ketogenic
        Hi, do you have any links for the studies? When I googled I didn't have much luck. I do keep my carbs above100 anyway (due to an already-screwed-up thyroid) and have increased it to be over 150 now. So it's not a concern for me, but I'm pregnant and am curious about it. Thanks!
        Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
          Hi, do you have any links for the studies? When I googled I didn't have much luck. I do keep my carbs above100 anyway (due to an already-screwed-up thyroid) and have increased it to be over 150 now. So it's not a concern for me, but I'm pregnant and am curious about it. Thanks!
          Sorry Chris said it during a podcast. I'd have to listen to it again to catch the exact details enabling me to find the study. It's possible it wasnt done on humans? He's just starting to get transcripts and links to the studies in his podcasts.. and this is an older one that hasnt yet been transcribed, hopefully soon. After I'm done listening to this one I'll get back to that one and see if I can find out more details for ya. Or you can listen yourself and add to this thread

Low cholesterol is associated with higher risk of death in women
          Primal since March 2011

Comment

Yeah, where are you getting that info from?

Comment

maybe this is it?
              http://ep.physoc.org/content/55/2/83.full.pdf

I'm still working on it.. I am running it now, its about mid way so it will probably be about 20 min
              Primal since March 2011

Comment

Hi,
                I just googled, and found this page Ketogenic Diet For Pregnancy | LIVESTRONG.COM
                It only mentions diabetic ketoacidosis, and says "No studies have specifically tested the effects of ketosis during pregnancy" This article was dated July 14, 2011

Comment

It's specifically to do with blood sugar levels during pregnancy...
                  Ideal: 63-79

So its good to test your blood sugar during pregnancy..a lot even.

I think this is what he is talking about: Diabetes Update: Normal Blood Sugars in Pregnancy which was published in October 2011..here they found that too high blood sugar can cause high birth weight and that their genes were different, so he is saying that the inverse is true as well.

So very low carb diets will cause you to have very low blood sugar, which is what is causing what I said before. So he is saying that its key to keep your blood sugar at a "middle" ground. So you want at least 50-100g during pregnancy. To keep you out of ketosis.
                  Last edited by activia; 03-06-2012, 03:18 PM.
                  Primal since March 2011

Comment

Chris Kresser talks about this a little in his personal paleo code. Probably good to have more carbs for pregnant women.

Comment

Originally posted by meatismyfriend View Post
                      Chris Kresser talks about this a little in his personal paleo code. Probably good to have more carbs for pregnant women.
                      That is who I'm talking about actually But I think every paleo blogger I've read about says that you should eat higher carbs during pregnancy and nursing.. interesting even during the paleo summit the women that hates starches had an except maybe for pregnant women..
                      Primal since March 2011

Comment

well if that's true, then my kids should be skinny little people all their lives!
                        my primal journal:
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                          well if that's true, then my kids should be skinny little people all their lives!
                          For this you want your blood sugar in that ideal range 61-79....although who knows exactly. Personally what makes sense to me is you would not be in ketosis MOST of the time but still maybe on lower end of the carb range around 100g, maybe at most 1 day a week you would, as well as one day a week being high... but thats just my opinion...I dont think we can know this for sure.
                          Primal since March 2011

Comment

I don't have a reference, but I read something similar last year, on here I think, saying that if women in the were eating lower carb during pregnancy then the child was more likely to grow up overweight.

IIRC One of the questions asked was what kind of diet did the children grow up eating? Were they also eating a lower carb diet, or a sugar, processed grain filled diet?

I guess the point that was being made was that just because women in a study were on a low carb (whatever that means) diet during their pregnancy, it doesn't mean it was a healthy diet and nor does it mean that their children grew up eating a healthy diet but still became overweight. So, are the children of a woman eating a healthy paleo/primal diet (which is generally naturally lower in carbs than SAD, whether we class it as low carb or not), who grow up also eating the same way in any more likely to end up being overweight? I think not.
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by Misabi View Post
                              I don't have a reference, but I read something similar last year, on here I think, saying that if women in the were eating lower carb during pregnancy then the child was more likely to grow up overweight.

IIRC One of the questions asked was what kind of diet did the children grow up eating? Were they also eating a lower carb diet, or a sugar, processed grain filled diet?

I guess the point that was being made was that just because women in a study were on a low carb (whatever that means) diet during their pregnancy, it doesn't mean it was a healthy diet and nor does it mean that their children grew up eating a healthy diet but still became overweight. So, are the children of a woman eating a healthy paleo/primal diet (which is generally naturally lower in carbs than SAD, whether we class it as low carb or not), who grow up also eating the same way in any more likely to end up being overweight? I think not.
                              We are not talking about a low carb diet we are talking about a ketogenic very low carb diet. Which the Primal diet really isn't in its main template, but can be practiced as such.
                              Primal since March 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X