Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are Aussies buying their grass fed butter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are Aussies buying their grass fed butter?

As the title suggests I am looking for ideas on where to get grass fed butter. Now I've read conflicting research where some people say that butter here would be grassfed, however other places say our dairy cattle is also supplemented with grain, so I'm working on the assumption that not all butter you get here is grass fed, and I'd like to get actual grass fed butter. Can anyone suggest a place? I'm in Sydney (city or southern suburbs). Thank you.

Hmmm tricky one... I've been buying the Macro Organic-brand butter from Woolies. Another Aussie on the board said that mainland-brand confirmed they were 100% grass-fed. Most cattle in Oz is.

Comment

Yes, we have so much grass (especially at the moment!) they wouldn't need to supplement the cows' feed at all.

Comment

Are all the cows in NZ grass fed? If so, woolworths own brand of unsalted butter is currently Product of New Zealand. I use it to make ghee, and it's a beautiful rich yellow.

Comment

OverTheMoon is the best pasture raised butter I have found. They sell in Sydney locations as well. They actually haven't got butter listed on their website but they usually sell it at certain shops and markets. You'll notice it's a lot more yellow than the organic butter they sell at supermarkets.

Over the Moon
          Last edited by J_walking_jonny; 03-06-2012, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Not sure if it's available on the mainland, but Ashgrove Farm (Tasmania) butter is grass fed.
            Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

Comment

Great ideas, thank you! Might get the Woolies one as I want to try to make ghee, then get the Over the moon for other uses as that sounds lush. Ashgrove I've seen the cheese at my local IGA but not the butter.

Comment

Westgold butter, available in Woolies is good. NZ Grass fed cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_h View Post
                  Westgold butter, available in Woolies is good. NZ Grass fed cattle.
                  yep this

Comment

Ha Ha, yep I gotta recommend good old kiwi butter.
                    My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Hi guys, Westgold, Ashgrove, Pepe Saya and OrganicTimes butter are grass-fed options. Westgold is usually available at Woolies while the other brands can be found at gourmet supermarkets or speciality health food stores. Look for a more yellow colour, usually present as a result of using cream from grass-fed cows to make the butter (only grass-fed cows produce milk with beta-carotene.) This applies to unsalted butter. Salt can also turn butter more yellow. More tips on butter buying options here:
                      Second article - Grass fed butter in Australia | OptimOZ
                      Last edited by Kryptonian; 01-14-2013, 05:10 AM. Reason: completeness

Comment

At Marrickville farmers market there's a guy who mainly sells coconuts but also has 100% grass fed ghee. As for butter, i buy macro organics from woolies but i'm not sure if its grassfed.

Comment

I am not sure that one is.
                          Id stick to the Westgold or Allowrie.

Comment

Does anyone have evidence of Australian dairy cattle not being grassfed, except during drought. One of the great sights of our countryside is the queues of cows at the farm dairy come milking time
                            Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                              Does anyone have evidence of Australian dairy cattle not being grassfed, except during drought. One of the great sights of our countryside is the queues of cows at the farm dairy come milking time
                              I don't actually know that they don't, but I was guessing.
                              Id love to know for sure if they are purely grassfed.

Comment

Working...
                              X