Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone cut alcohol completely?

Hey everyone!

So I decided to help along my primal journey by cutting drinking. I was always primarily a beer drinker and I knew it was no good, plus I have never been someone who has "just one".I would spend every weekend drinking at least 5 a night.

I was doing really well, went two weeks without a drink and the results were good. Felt great in the mornings, but weekend nights I would feel more tired than usual. Anyway, I ended up breaking and having 4 beers last night...and BOY do I feel it today. Not hungover but I feel like utter crap! It is a good lesson, and makes me want to continue to avoid drinking. Just wondering if anyone else has gone this rout and can give any advise or words of encouragement for when temptation hits? My roommate is a big beer drinker so that doesn't help things.

Thanks everyone!
    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

I keep alcohol personally, but I've also never been much of a beer or mixed drink drinker myself, I prefer wine straight drinks on the rocks...though I do love me some car bombs on St. Patty's Day...

Comment

When I first went primal, I'd get drunk quickly after half my normal amount of wine. Liquor was nearly intolerable. I think the lack of starchy carbs gets you drunker, faster. But now, I can drink like I used to, I just don't want to.
      “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

I let go of beer. I drink mainly stuff on the rocks, or wine at communion.
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I usually stick to red wine or scotch, but last night I had 3 vodka's mixed with blueberry pomegranate V8, and feel like shit today. Not like hangover shit, just shit. I'm thinking it's all the crap in the V8. Not gonna do that again any time soon.

Comment

I have for now
            FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

I stick with bourbon on the rocks and wine for the most part and I seem to be ok. I cut alcohol for about 6 months when going really strict paleo and didn't see any huge benefit to fitness, so I cycled it back into my diet.
              My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Comment

Yep, no more beer. I missed having it the first month starting paleo/primal but now I don't even think about it. I don't drink much at all during the week, but I will partake of some quality tequila on the weekend. NorCal margaritas are my favorite and now even my GF likes them. Tequila, Club Soda, Lime Juice and garnish with a slice of tangerine or orange. Enjoy shaken or stirred.

Comment

I gave it up completely while I heal my leaky gut and don't miss it at all. Eventually when I get better I will go back to drinking in moderation, a glass of wine or vodka and soda now and then, but will probably not go back to endless beers and rum & cokes all night. It's only hard in social situations when everyone is drinking and you feel weird holding a water, but it's getting to be less of a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by elektro View Post
                    I gave it up completely while I heal my leaky gut and don't miss it at all. Eventually when I get better I will go back to drinking in moderation, a glass of wine or vodka and soda now and then, but will probably not go back to endless beers and rum & cokes all night. It's only hard in social situations when everyone is drinking and you feel weird holding a water, but it's getting to be less of a big deal.

That's my problem are the social situations. Especially being young and single in NYC. But man - the way I feel today I think it's worth it. I was just a little bored and frustrated last night because other plans fell through so I gave into temptation. Cannot WAIT for yoga tonight to feel better
                    SW175ish GW140 CW157

height 5'6"

Official for real start date 1/10/12

Comment

I quit before I joined here and I don't miss it at all. I read a book written by a guy called Allen Carr, called The Easy Way to Quit Drinking (title varies in different countries). I liked his approach and found it really easy to say no. He has a way of changing your perception of drinking alcohol that makes it all look a bit silly. Look around you at how many people defend their drinking. Once your friends get used to you being a non drinker they will get over it and not notice that you are any different. I do have sparkling mineral water or soft drinks when I go out.
                      My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

I feel your pain...I love beer & we have a bunch of microbreweries in my neck of the woods with lots of good beer. Alas, I found also that it was simply too hard to "cut back". If I have one I want four. So, I quit. Being Primal & being healthy is really important to me. Being completely sober hurts far less than a hangover, that's for sure.

A friend of mine turned me on to a single shot of vodka in a tall glass of ice & soda with a LOT of limes. I usually tell the waitperson to bring me the tree, which usually gets a laugh as well as the pile of limes that I want. It's tasty, refreshing, you can nurse that baby all night. This is what I have if I'm out socially & wish to have a cocktail. I don't care for wine, all that much. But mostly, I do without alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by jo View Post
                          I quit before I joined here and I don't miss it at all. I read a book written by a guy called Allen Carr, called The Easy Way to Quit Drinking (title varies in different countries). I liked his approach and found it really easy to say no. He has a way of changing your perception of drinking alcohol that makes it all look a bit silly. Look around you at how many people defend their drinking. Once your friends get used to you being a non drinker they will get over it and not notice that you are any different. I do have sparkling mineral water or soft drinks when I go out.
                          I used Allen Carr's book to quit smoking. It's kinda cheesy, but it works.
                          “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Comment

Seven years clean.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Maybe it's not the alcohol that's making you feel like crap. Maybe you need to go gluten-free. Try a non-beer drink and see if you still feel crappy afterwards. I used to drink beer but quit it when I went Primal to try the gluten-free aspect of it for a while. Switched to wine but find it gives me heartburn. So, maybe I'll try the NorCal margarita next.

Comment

Working...
                              X