dairy & weight gain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dairy & weight gain

I've gone back and forth on dairy for the last 7 years or so- I add it back, get bloated & constipated, then go off it etc back and forth ugh every 6 months or so. I get soooo bored every time I eliminate it. But I can't look or feel my skinniest on it.

What do you guys think? Does dairy make you fat?

What kind of dairy are you adding in? For example, drinking milk kills me as far as bloating and feeling like crap, but I do fine eating raw/hard cheeses and certain Greek yogurt.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Comment

bloats me, and in general i feel better off it

sory, i dont see any reason your giving for you to eat it other than you enjoy it ..
      started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Cowmilk more than goat or sheep- I haven't drank a glass of milk regularly in 20 years. It's fermented kefir and lately the convenience of string cheese. I will eliminate though 'cause summer is coming up.

Comment

dairy doesn't seem to be particularly problematic for me, aside from fresh cheese and milk which make me bloat something terrible. any aged cheese, butter or goat/sheep milk product goes down fine.

however, so many people seem to find that dairy stalls weight loss, and i believe them. so it must be an individual thing...

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
            What kind of dairy are you adding in? For example, drinking milk kills me as far as bloating and feeling like crap, but I do fine eating raw/hard cheeses and certain Greek yogurt.
            This! Also goat diary doesn't bother me at all but cow diary causes bloating and joint ache and gerneral symptoms like I'm getting a cold or having an allergy attack.

Comment

As long as I don't have dairy at every meal, I'm no different with or without it.

Comment

I have decided to reduce and just drink some kefir now and then.

Comment

Lactose intolerance can, of course, cause bloating and digestive issues. But lactose, being a sugar, is not present in all dairy products. Try just eating dairy that has zero carbs/sugars. Most hard cheeses like cheddar do not have lactose. I do fine eating only hard cheeses. But I can't tolerate milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
                    BuffaloGrok---is Bush eating a cat?
                    Mannydog

Comment

Im hugely intolerent to caesine, and yes theres loads of evidence saying that it can lead to weight gain. The most likey explantation is the ability to produce IGFH-1 (Insulin Growth Factor Hormone 1) this regulates growth and development in just about every cell in the body. It also stimulates amino acid uptake and protein synthesis in muscle and other tissues, crossfit footballers are prompted to consume dairy pre and post workout for that reason. Also if hadnt realised it spikes insulin, which in its self is a huge reason for weight gain.

Now look at it from an evolutionary sence. What is milk for? Well its for making the baby calves fat enough to survive, and pumping them full of nutrients and bacteria to build them big and strong. But with modern day pasteurization thats pointless anyway. Dairy is such a difficult field, you yourself said you feel skinniest on it, maybe if your bored look at coconut substitutes, and swapping butter for ghee.

Comment

I haven't found dairy to cause any problems for me, but you have to experiment. Some people do a lot better with fermented dairy, and Chris Kresser just did an article on kefir which was really good:
                        Kefir: The Not-Quite-Paleo Superfood

Comment

Originally posted by meatismyfriend View Post
                          I haven't found dairy to cause any problems for me, but you have to experiment. Some people do a lot better with fermented dairy, and Chris Kresser just did an article on kefir which was really good:
                          Kefir: The Not-Quite-Paleo Superfood
                          I have a mild addiction to kefir actually- if I bring in one carton it becomes a 3 carton a week habit. However, I can digest it.

Comment

If it makes you bloated then you should probably quit eating it. A lot of the time though people quit dairy and don't replace it with anything. If you replace milk with water and leave cheese off as a topping then you've lowered your calorie intake. It's not that dairy was making you fat per-se. You could have made other changes, kept dairy, and achieved the same result.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Yes it seems to be the case for me. Having it in 1-2 coffees a day (half milk/half cream lattes) since going primal nearly 5 months ago, and ive gained a little weight and stayed at that weight for about 3 months, so in the process of giving it up. Clearly my body hates it.

Comment

Working...
                              X