Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEART DISEASE, CHOLESTEROL and DIABETES Risk Caused by Going Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree with the others.

I would -- personally if I were you -- cut the protein powder and add more carbs (since you are so active, being between 80 and 150 would be fine). You might also have to increase protein, which may mean cutting back on your g's of fat.
    Some people in this thread are saying that I should decrease protein. As I'm weight training and would like to gain some lean muscle mass I was thinking that I should keep my protein level up.

How many grams of protein per day should I target?

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
      Could be. You sound like a fantastic candidate for PWO carbs.

Also what program are you doing? A better one could really help.
      Below is a link to the weight training routine I've been following. It's 4 days per week.
      Shaun's 4 Day Muscle Building Split Routine | Muscle & Strength

On top of this I usually run or sprint about 1/3 mile before and after the workout, for a total of about 2/3 miles. (This is due to the distance the gym is from my home.)

Also, I'll try to add on an abs workout 1 time per week.

I do sometimes miss a day here and there, so my weekly workout schedule turns out to be only 3 days on some weeks.

I'm thinking that I need to add some extra cardo in the form of crossfit type workouts or swimming. I've just been lacking the time. From the sounds of the advice on this forum, people seem to think that I should reduce my workout time, rather than increase.

Comment

There is no reason to decrease protein unless you have kidney problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ASC View Post
          Below is a link to the weight training routine I've been following. It's 4 days per week.
          Shaun's 4 Day Muscle Building Split Routine | Muscle & Strength

On top of this I usually run or sprint about 1/3 mile before and after the workout, for a total of about 2/3 miles. (This is due to the distance the gym is from my home.)

Also, I'll try to add on an abs workout 1 time per week.

I do sometimes miss a day here and there, so my weekly workout schedule turns out to be only 3 days on some weeks.

I'm thinking that I need to add some extra cardo in the form of crossfit type workouts or swimming. I've just been lacking the time. From the sounds of the advice on this forum, people seem to think that I should reduce my workout time, rather than increase.
          Sweet Moses, that's an awful routine. Do Starting Strength, add PWO carbs, and cut down on your sprinting.
          Lifting Journal

Comment

1 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
            Per pound of lean body mass. If you're ~10% body fat then drop 16.5 lbs from total. You're left with ~150g protein, that should be just about right. But I think you're worried too much about numbers. Try eating a few carbs here and there, if they're from good sources they won't harm.

Also try alternating % of nutrients from day to day, that's quite useful, if the body is used to what comes next it won't react as you would expect.

Retest glucose from time to time, I suspect it's above accepted limit because of the proteins. But it might also be just once in a lifetime thing, glucose levels are not reliable unless you retest a couple of times.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! This is a great forum.

Now I'm just debating on whether I should challenge my doctor or just forget about him and switch to a new one.

Any case, his office has clinical health educators and I'm scheduled for a personalized diet review. (This is a par of California's Kaiser Permanente medical program.) It will be interesting to hear their recommendations.

Comment

Some people in this thread are saying that I should decrease protein. As I'm weight training and would like to gain some lean muscle mass I was thinking that I should keep my protein level up.

How many grams of protein per day should I target?
                Health Correlator: How much dietary protein can you store in muscle? About 15 g/d if you are a gifted bodybuilder

Comment

"Your bad cholesterol and blood sugars are elevated. Please start on a diet/exercise program. Recheck FASTING labs in 6 months. Lab orders are already placed, no appointment needed you can go directly to the lab at that time. Please call our Clinical Health Educator (CHE) for a personalized diet review.

The main way to lower your LDL cholesterol (or BAD CHOLESTEROL) is reducing your fat intake, especially the saturated fats. Saturated fats are fats that are solid at room temperature, like butter and animal fats.

Oils do not contain as much but they still will raise your LDL. Decreasing your cholesterol intake will help also. Exercise and losing weight can help modestly also, and it will raise the HDL which is your good cholesterol.

Your blood glucose is borderline elevated, but it is not at a diabetic level. Continue to really watch your sugar and carbohydrate intake. Limit your desserts and your juices and soda intake."
                  That's a form letter. I got the same thing, worded exactly the same way (except the blood sugars part), last year and ignored it. I also got one from my insurance company and it went straight in the trash. I've already pre-emptively told the doctor that I refuse to take a statin under any circumstances; I believe they're unsafe and unnecessary for normal people who are eating properly. Doing the math based on what others are saying in this thread, my numbers are fine. I'll let them look at my lipids as a purely academic exercise, but I reserve the right to refuse medication.

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                    Sweet Moses, that's an awful routine. Do Starting Strength, add PWO carbs, and cut down on your sprinting.
                    Heartily seconded. Hint: If you can "sprint" home from the gym, you didn't work out hard enough. Though you may have done a lot of sets...
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                      Heartily seconded. Hint: If you can "sprint" home from the gym, you didn't work out hard enough. Though you may have done a lot of sets...
                      I was thinking it seems like it would be pretty darn impossible to sprint an entire 1/3 mile. Maybe he's just running fast.

Comment

Don't do ANYTHING until you have watched these videos:
                        I have high cholesterol, and I don’t care
                        How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

Your blood sugar is too high & you do need to fix that - Eliminate all sugars, breads, pastas and start taking iodine supplements. You are extremely deficient in iodine. You can prove this with the iodine skin patch test. Order some Lugols 5% iodine from Amazon.Com, and paint a 2 inch circle on your wrist. If it can't be seen after 24 hours you are deficient.

Grizz

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                          You are extremely deficient in iodine. You can prove this with the iodine skin patch test. Order some Lugols 5% iodine from Amazon.Com, and paint a 2 inch circle on your wrist. If it can't be seen after 24 hours you are deficient.
                          Hi Grizz,

I've noticed that you seem to be the forum's designated "Iodine Guru".

I'm curious about this myself, as for several years I was buying table salt without iodine added, thinking that natural was better, completely ignorant to the need for iodine.

I noticed that the bottle of 5% was nearly $30. Obviously a small price to pay to correct a deficiency, but I am curious if the same product used for "diagnosis" can also be used to supplement if a deficiency is found.

Amazon.com: J.CROW'SŪ Lugol's Solution of Iodine 5%: Health & Personal Care

Your thoughts?

(P.S. I know there is a giant iodine thread, and it's on my reading list, but just haven't gotten to it yet)

Comment

Grizz, do you just assume everyone is iodine deficient?

Comment

Grizz needs to shut up or be banned for his outright foolishness. Do you have any idea how many thyroids you are destroying, Grizz?
                              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Knifegill,

I'm sure he's trying to help, but in that same vane, I'm sure you are too.

Don't worry, I will be doing lots of reading before taking any supplements. I just value the opinions of this community as there are some people further along in their research than I am and it's helpful when someone points the way.

It's tough figuring out what is truthful and what is B.S. in our culture with so many mainstream lies portrayed as official truth.
                                I could see someone saying the same thing to you if you went to a more mainstream dietary forum and proclaimed that saturated fats are beneficial.

I know I'm new to posting here, but I've been reading posts for a long time. I've seen that the vast majority of people here, including Grizz are just trying to share their perspective in hopes of helping others. Let's not talk about banning people for opinions.

I didn't like that he said that the OP was definitely deficient in iodine, as that is not certainly something you can diagnose with the info provided, but he's obviously looked into the issue more than I have and I value his opinion.

I don't mean to overstep my bounds as a newbie here, but I wanted to voice my opinion with regards to banning/censorship and put your mind at ease in case you thought I would blindly start a supplement without the due diligence of proper research.
                                Last edited by NWPrimate; 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: (accidentally hit quick reply before finished instead of "go advanced" )

Comment

Working...
                                X