No announcement yet.

Allergic to Carbs. Zero Carb (or at least low low carb) for Cure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you could really benefit from a broad spectrum digestive enzyme, like the ones from Garden of Life. That could help right away, and then it really sounds like you need some serious gut healing. Your suspicion of leaky guts sounds right on to me. I would take some high quality probiotics, make some bone broth and drink a minimum of a cup a day. Those three things combined with a primal diet will probably do a lot to heal you.

Best of luck
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

Comment

Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
      I think you could really benefit from a broad spectrum digestive enzyme, like the ones from Garden of Life. That could help right away, and then it really sounds like you need some serious gut healing. Your suspicion of leaky guts sounds right on to me. I would take some high quality probiotics, make some bone broth and drink a minimum of a cup a day. Those three things combined with a primal diet will probably do a lot to heal you.

Best of luck
      Thank you! I'm going to take your advice!

Comment

Google FODMAPS.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Yes sounds like it could be IBS or some other reaction to substances other than the carbs in what you are eating.

It's impossible to be allergic to carbs. Only allergies to proteins exist.

Try dissolving 50 g of pure sucrose or glucose syrup in water and drinking that on an empty stomach. If you get the same reaction then it's time to investigate whether it's diabetes or candida overgrowth causing the symptoms.
          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
            It's impossible to be allergic to carbs. Only allergies to proteins exist.
            ???
            this is the complete opposite of what i have been told/researched....

tons of ppl are deathly allergic to peanuts, strawberries, coconut, bananas, alcohol, wheat, etc
            i don't know anyone that is allergic to chicken....

Comment

It is an unfortunate thing we do here is broad stroke "carbs" to meant grains and other food sources rather than referring to grains, vegetables etc which are sources of carbs.

I am assuming she meant the protein portion of foods not the carbohydrate portion.
              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
              PS
              Don't forget to play!

Comment

still trying to wrap my head around it....lavender, cinnamon, and mint have no protein (that i know of) and ppl are allergic.
                i even know someone that is allergic to garlic (the horror! that is almost as bad as being allergic to cocoa!!! LOL)

i was literally told "it is very rare that a person is allergic to proteins, it is usually plant derived" (of course that doesn't account for the large number of ppl that are allergic to shellfish)

so now i have used my brain for the day and think that a person could be allergic to anything LOL

Comment

As far as I know all cell walls have some amino acids in them (the building blocks of protein) and it is these amino acids that can have an allergin effect.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirlot View Post
                    As far as I know all cell walls have some amino acids in them (the building blocks of protein) and it is these amino acids that can have an allergin effect.
                    thanks

Comment

Yes an allergy is an immune response to a tiny portion of a protein known as an antigen.

A protein consists of chain(s) of amino acids.

Typically a 3-dimensional configuration of 6 amino acids in close proximity to one another within a protein form an antigen to which an antibody binds, eliciting an immune response to rid the body of the source of the antigen. Antibodies are proteins produced by the immune system to fight infections. In an ideal world we wouldn't form antibodies to ingested foods. However, in reality we do.

There's a poorly understood mechanism of oral tolerance to antigens in foods ingested during our early years, i.e. that antibodies to these foods are no longer produced.

We have a set stock of antibodies from birth in the order of 10s of millions and sometimes those that should be knocked out aren't.
                      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by hottierockstar View Post
                        ???
                        this is the complete opposite of what i have been told/researched....

tons of ppl are deathly allergic to peanuts, strawberries, coconut, bananas, alcohol, wheat, etc
                        i don't know anyone that is allergic to chicken....
                        Every natural food on the planet contains protein.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                          Every natural food on the planet contains protein.
                          thanks

Comment

There are pseudo-allergic reactions too e.g. to high-histamine foods. This is likely if someone reacts to strawberries.

Comment

I have discovered I am allergic to all carbs also. I cannot eat them in any form or my bloating, insomnia and other issues come back full force. All grains, all bread, pasta, cereals, rice, beans - YES, even vegetables. All of it causes an allergic reaction in my system.

I eat all meat, all protein, and force myself to eat veggies once in a while for the nutrients and the roughage. I am 52 years old, and I feel better than I have in ages.

Menopause wreaked all kinds of havoc on my overloaded system, and years of the SAD and CW had my hormones and insulin levels as screwed up as possible. I am now, after only ONE MONTH CARB FREE, able to sleep better, my skin is cleared up and I need less lotion, my brain fog oh my goodness, I am alert and active, I am walking 3 miles at least every day, and the weight? I've lost 22 pounds in a month. And 14 inches off my body, and I only measure a few places. 3 inches off my waist. 3.5 inches off my hips. I feel glorious.

It IS possible to be allergic to all carbs, I am proof. I do understand the need for supplements (and possibly dumping my diet coke addiction I KNOW). But all protein, all the time is my way of life these days.

It was MDA and this forum, this community that gave me the idea to just quiet all the other voices and listen to my body. I can't thank you all enough.
                              I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. ~P. G. Wodehouse

Comment

Casey - what veggies and or fruit have you found not to cause problems (bloating, gas, etc...)?

While they bloat me most the time I didn't think we could have easy stools without them? I'd be willing to cut them out (but juice some for vit. Mineral needs) if I knew I would still have good bowels and not hard stools that led to straining. Please please share on this topic!

Comment

Working...
                                X