Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hungrier in the evening after eating breakfast..?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hungrier in the evening after eating breakfast..?

This is a very strange phenomenon for me. Not necessarily bad, but strange. When I eat a primal breakfast (usually something like eggs with salmon cooked in grass fed butter with full fat greek yogurt), I am happy and satiated for most of the day, but when evening comes around I get very hungry again. No problem.

However, when I skip breakfast, for some odd reason, I don't get hungry at all during the evening, or I'm only moderately hungry. Why would eating breakfast make me hungrier in the day than skipping it? I mean it's no issue for me, but I'm just curious as to why this happens and if anyone else experiences this as well
    Last edited by JazzWorthy; 03-01-2012, 09:59 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    ~Lord Byron

I never skip breakfast, so I wouldn't know. It does seem odd though, and I'm interested in seeing this topic develop.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Same thing happens with me. I typically IF during the week and only eat at night. On the weekends I typically grab breakfast with family/friends and find myself very hungry in the early afternoon. Sorry I don't know why but know you're not the only one.

Comment

I find that if I eat a meal 2-3 hours before going to bed, I wake up extremely hungry...but if I don't feel like eating anything for dinner, I wake up not wanting to eat. I've come to the conclusion that I should just eat a large breakfast and a large dinner.

Comment

I have found that I need to eat a large breakfast or none at all. Otherwise, I'll be ravenous by 10 a.m.
          Primal Breakfast Club

Comment

Lots of people report reduced appetite when IFing so perhaps that's a partial explanation.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I don't know the scientific explanation, but it's true for me to. I think of my stomach/body as a fire. The fire needs wood.

-When you add a lot of wood, the fire gets big and burns the wood quickly. When that wood run out, the big fire attempts to sustain itself by making you hungry.
              -If you don't eat a lot, you have a small fire. This small fire only asks for a little wood every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                I don't know the scientific explanation, but it's true for me to. I think of my stomach/body as a fire. The fire needs wood.

-When you add a lot of wood, the fire gets big and burns the wood quickly. When that wood run out, the big fire attempts to sustain itself by making you hungry.
                -If you don't eat a lot, you have a small fire. This small fire only asks for a little wood every once in a while.
                I think this is basically the answer, I too find that if I eat breakfast I am ravenous in the evening, I think it has something to do with kick starting your metabolism each day. I seem to remember reading that breakfast is important to start the metabolic process for the day to ensure you start burning your fuel rather than storing it..... Simple explanation inam sure someone clevererer than me could give the technical explanation
                Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
                Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Comment

If I eat breakfast, I tend to be much hungrier during the day/evening. When I don't eat breakfast (my norm), I'm perfectly sated with one or two meals (lunch/dinner). No clue why, that's just how I've always been. My guess is it's a blood sugar/hunger feedback loop thing. So glad I discovered paleo/primal and that IF'ing/skipping meals is OK.
                  Last edited by kennelmom; 03-01-2012, 06:42 AM.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post

No clue if this is actually physiologically accurate, but it makes sense to me LOL
                    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

I am really curious about this as well - since I was a teenager, breakfast has made me RAVENOUS throughout the day. By 10 am by stomach would be in knots. But fasting until lunch (with the help of coffee and a bit of cream) and my appetite is controlled.

Comment

Ditto.

I find if I eat a lot of food, late, I wake up STARVING. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungrier throughout the day. It's like a bizarre cycle.

Comment

I think it's about what your body adjusts to. I rarely eat lunch, so I try to eat breakfast and dinner. Basically, it works out to eating once every 12 hours, with breakfast being very small and dinner being very large. If I don't eat breakfast I'm starving by dinner. If I do eat breakfast and lunch, dinner tends to be smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                            Ditto.

I find if I eat a lot of food, late, I wake up STARVING. If I eat breakfast, I'm hungrier throughout the day. It's like a bizarre cycle.

I usually have dinner around 6 or 7. As a rule, I usually don't wake up hungry. (Though pre-primal I always woke up hungry. That was my reason for getting out of bed) And CW dieting in the beginning, I was hungry before bed, during the night, upon waking. I was just hungry all the time on the same (or more) calories than I am having now.

But now I might start to get a little hungry after being up for a few hours. (like now, but telling it to shut up) I like to weigh after 7, and then usually things get crazy so I can usually push it off.

I have found though, that if I eat breakfast before 10 or 11, I am hungrier all day (not just in the evening) and end up at the top of my calorie range. I also learned to start with protein/fat. That helps alot but I still end up with about 200-300 more calories for the day. I am also trying to make this work in my favor, as some days I do want more calories. So this is helping me to zig-zag a little. I havent really paid attention if I exercise more the day before. I am still trying to figure it all out.

Anyways, to answer your question, the earlier I eat, the hungrier I am all throughout the day, not just evening
                            65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Comment

I can sometimes go without breakfast---but only if I wasnt eating much before bed! Trying to stick to the - not eating after dinner rule - and I wake up less hungry as a result! I still tend to eat breakfast on most mornings...and still do three meals a day for the most part.
                              Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                              http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X