Coconut oil - solid or liquid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut oil - solid or liquid?

I'm new to this coconut oil thing so I did some Googling. I was reading an article that said extra virgin unrefined coconut oil should be a clear liquid. But when I went to my local health supplement store all I can find were jars of a white, candle-wax-like substance. But they all said extra virgin and unrefined too. I did not see any jars of clear liquid. Which should I get, clear liquid or solid white, and why the difference?

The difference is temperature. Coconut oil is solid to about 24 degrees Celsius.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yep... coconut oil will be solid at store temps. It melts at about 75F, THEN it is a clear liquid. Tasty too...
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

It always ends up as a gas though...amiriteguys?
        Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
        CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Well my house is cold too then. I brought a jar home and it still looks like candle wax. Oh well, easy to to spoon it out that way and eat it like ice cream! lol

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
            Gas??? From coconut oil?
            Not IME... *shrugs*
            “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
            ~Friedrich Nietzsche
            And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              Gas??? From coconut oil?
              Not IME... *shrugs*
              Coconut products seem to have a brutal gas/laxative effect on me. It's reached a point where my girl has banned them to a certain degree because she's sick of the bed turning into a gas chamber. Personally, I think it's hilarious, but her concerns are justified.
              Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Coconut products seem to have a brutal gas/laxative effect on me. It's reached a point where my girl has banned them to a certain degree because she's sick of the bed turning into a gas chamber. Personally, I think it's hilarious, but her concerns are justified.
                Never had that problem. Having problems digesting fats?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
                  Well my house is cold too then. I brought a jar home and it still looks like candle wax. Oh well, easy to to spoon it out that way and eat it like ice cream! lol
                  It liquifies at around 24 degrees Celsius, which is above room temperature. So in most indoors places it will be solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosnic View Post
                    Never had that problem. Having problems digesting fats?
                    Nope, I could eat a stick of butter or drink bacon fat and be fine, it's just something about the coconut.

Comment

Weird. I find coconut oil much easier to digest than any other fat.

Comment

Coconut products seem to have a brutal gas/laxative effect on me.
                        Yeah, I just found out about coconut oil's laxative effect today first hand. I didn't know about that before but I Googled it and, sure enough, it is a great remedy for clogged plumbing! Good thing I only had a teaspoon instead of the recommended tablespoon.
                        Didn't give me gas, though, but it sure did empty the pipes!

Comment

Hnnh. Not for me. No probs at all (I'm relieved to say).
                          I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
                            Yeah, I just found out about coconut oil's laxative effect today first hand. I didn't know about that before but I Googled it and, sure enough, it is a great remedy for clogged plumbing! Good thing I only had a teaspoon instead of the recommended tablespoon.
                            Didn't give me gas, though, but it sure did empty the pipes!
                            I've been sick this week and was eating coconut oil one evening...got extreme abdominal pain and then simultaneous elimination (diarrhea and vomiting) maybe within 1/2 hr after. I have no idea if it was a random stomach bug (no fever, though during the event I felt very hot and afterwards I felt chilly) or maybe from the coconut oil. I had maybe 3 tablespoons? Anyway, I'm pretty turned off to CO for anything but skin & hair now =\ It always gives me a stomach ache and I don't want a repeat of that, just in case.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                              I've been sick this week and was eating coconut oil one evening...got extreme abdominal pain and then simultaneous elimination (diarrhea and vomiting) maybe within 1/2 hr after. I have no idea if it was a random stomach bug (no fever, though during the event I felt very hot and afterwards I felt chilly) or maybe from the coconut oil. I had maybe 3 tablespoons? Anyway, I'm pretty turned off to CO for anything but skin & hair now =\ It always gives me a stomach ache and I don't want a repeat of that, just in case.
                              Coconut oil does have a laxative effect. The first time I had some I only had 1 teaspoon and experienced its laxative effect. Three tablespoons is probably just way too much for you. Start out with only a teaspoon, or half a teaspoon even, and work your way up as your system gets used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X