Aspartame vs. Sugar?!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am shocked by this thread.

Does anyone care to provide some scientific, scholarly evidence/experiment/paper that proves Aspartime is dangerous? All the ones I've seen show that it's absolutely safe.
    Such as this one. Aspartame: review of safety. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrone View Post
      I am shocked by this thread.

Does anyone care to provide some scientific, scholarly evidence/experiment/paper that proves Aspartime is dangerous? All the ones I've seen show that it's absolutely safe.
      Such as this one. Aspartame: review of safety. [Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI
      Why are you "shocked"? I have seen this opinion stated often.

I won't touch the stuff because it tastes nasty. I think that's reason enough, but it also makes me feel like crap if I were to drink a diet soda on an empty stomach.

I'd like to see your research that shows the effectiveness of sugar substitutes in weight control. You know, the study that shows how an ever-increasing consumption of artificial sweeteners has worked to bring down obesity in this country.

Oh, wait. It hasn't. Both artificial sweetener use and obesity are rising.

Comment

Another irrational scaremonger thread about Aspartame - yawn...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

and another thread dug up from over a year ago.... yawn, sigh... narcoleptic sleep fit

Comment

^ I searched for this topic in response to sugar cravings issues

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            Why are you "shocked"? I have seen this opinion stated often.
            Because I was under the impression this forum was filled with intelligent people, seeing as most of us are following the primal lifestyle. Also, they are not stating it as an "opinion"

Oh, wait. It hasn't. Both artificial sweetener use and obesity are rising.
            Yeah, as are global warming, facebook userbase, and gas prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrone View Post
              ^ I searched for this topic in response to sugar cravings issues.
              So you were looking for an ancient thread to resurrect...

Yeah, as are global warming, facebook userbase, and gas prices.
              That's the best argument you've got for its effectiveness?

Comment

It's an old book (1996) with a bit of a dramatic title, but the guy is all science:

Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills by Russell L. Blaylock

The section on the aspartame trials is very educational.

It bypasses the blood brain barrier (not something I'm a fan of) and breaks down chemically with heat. Very unstable. Toss in the more recent studies that have shown artificial sweeteners tend to make you crave sugars even more, and I don't get the point of using it. I prefer to use the real stuff and train my taste buds so they don't need nearly as much.
                Durp.

Comment

From what I've read, obese people and all children should probably not use aspartame. Relatively healthy people can probably consume it without too many negative reactions.
                  "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                    From what I've read, obese people and all children should probably not use aspartame. Relatively healthy people can probably consume it without too many negative reactions.
                    Add to that list anybody with a neurological disorder such as Rita's migraines, Cori's brain swelling, or my epilepsy.

So then we get down to the "heathy people can tolerate it" issue, which, IMO, means that they are just asymptomatic as of yet. If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.

There was a time that I was young and healthy and swilling down diet sodas. Then I got epilepsy. Did the sodas cause it? We will never know that but I sure don't think they helped any.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                      If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.
                      Sounds like wheat.
                      Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                      5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                      Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                      TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                      bloodorchid is always right

Comment

And this recent study from the European Food Safety Authority

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/consult...all/130108.pdf

I don't think that we should be digesting this stuff, but although no-one likes the idea, it 'might' be safer than fructose.

I don't touch sugar or aspartame, but if anyone wants to analyse the study and present an opinion on it's validity, go right ahead.

If we want science to support our claims that paleo/primal eating is the best way to eat, then I guess we have to have open minds to the fact that something that has been vilified, could be safe.........um, er, a bit like saturated fat :-0

Comment

I have either some fruits or a bit of added xylitol (derived from birch) in my rather rare sweetened treats for its benign properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                            Add to that list anybody with a neurological disorder such as Rita's migraines, Cori's brain swelling, or my epilepsy.

So then we get down to the "heathy people can tolerate it" issue, which, IMO, means that they are just asymptomatic as of yet. If it is bad for people with "special snowflake" status as Cori puts it, it is not *good* for anyone. Tolerable=/=good.
                            I agree with that 100%. I'm doing an experiment to see if I notice any differences in my overall health ditching Equal. I might not since I only use a half packet in one or two cups of coffee a day, and occasionally if I make a curry, I put a packet in what would be two servings. Still, because of the coffee, it was daily consumption, so I want to see if I notice its absence.

As a note, I am a special snowflake, but not in reference to my health. More in reference to flake.
                            "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Aspartame makes me urinate disproportionally high amounts. The taste is ok, I guess. I've long since given it up, though, so I barely remember and might not like it now.

M.

Comment

For a lot of folks eliminating aspartame fits the spirit of n=1. We have enough grief trying to make sense of steak and potato data, additives are just an unwelcome variable.

But I agree that--considering the consumption rate--I would expect the evidence of harm to be more clear-cut.
                                37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Working...
                                X