Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who does Fast-5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Well, I gained 4 lbs last week, while fasting, but I don't think it is fasting related.

    Anyway, I fasted till noon-1 pm on Friday and Saturday, & skipped a day on Sunday (pre-workout and post-workout meals). I will be aiming for after 12:30 today, to hold a 15-16 hrs fast. My week's goal to bring it to 1 pm.

    I started a visualization technique, to imagine I eat breakfast while cooking my husband breakfast. Every time I think about food after that, I keep telling myself: but you ate already and recall his meal's smell and feel. This technique helped me to stop craving bread and pastry in the past. The smells of baking from the coffee shops in the morning are much better than the product itself if you try it (I have experienced that disappointment in the past enough times), so I enjoy that, and not the calories/carbs/crap that comes with eating it.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Leida View Post
      Well, I gained 4 lbs last week, while fasting, but I don't think it is fasting related.

      Anyway, I fasted till noon-1 pm on Friday and Saturday, & skipped a day on Sunday (pre-workout and post-workout meals). I will be aiming for after 12:30 today, to hold a 15-16 hrs fast. My week's goal to bring it to 1 pm.

      I started a visualization technique, to imagine I eat breakfast while cooking my husband breakfast. Every time I think about food after that, I keep telling myself: but you ate already and recall his meal's smell and feel. This technique helped me to stop craving bread and pastry in the past. The smells of baking from the coffee shops in the morning are much better than the product itself if you try it (I have experienced that disappointment in the past enough times), so I enjoy that, and not the calories/carbs/crap that comes with eating it.
      I am sure the coffe shop pastries actually taste better in your visualization than in reality too They always look and smell so much better than they actually taste.

      Comment


      • Yep, the aroma is the best thing about baked goods, so you get the best part for free and with no damage to your health. The deal of the lifetime, for sure.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

        Comment


        • Hi All,
          Shameless thread bump.
          I just got started trying this fast 5 thing out recently as it came up in conversation with Nady on the fasting thread. I came out of that 72 hour fast and have been fast 5ing since then, four days so far. I am curious to (hopefully) hear back from some of the people who having been doing this a while. Have you stuck with it and had awesome results? Did you decide it was just another fad and dump it? Something in between?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
            Hi All,
            Shameless thread bump.
            I just got started trying this fast 5 thing out recently as it came up in conversation with Nady on the fasting thread. I came out of that 72 hour fast and have been fast 5ing since then, four days so far. I am curious to (hopefully) hear back from some of the people who having been doing this a while. Have you stuck with it and had awesome results? Did you decide it was just another fad and dump it? Something in between?
            I have fast 5 most daily for quite awhile now, with the exception of last week. Last week, well it was just all whacked up but I have been back on the Fast 5 Track since Saturday. It is pretty natural and I was pretty much already there when I learned someone had a name for it.

            Yesterday was interesting though. I normally BP coffee. (BP dude suggests it's okay for a fast and other sites suggest other foods for a fast so I guess it just depends on your goals & who you talk to) but here is the interesting part. When I have the bp coffee, it is 221 calories and then a 300 - 500 calorie lunch, and end around 1000 - 1300 most days (a few 14-16 thrown in there) But yesterday, I was happy that I didnt need any coffee at all, and at lunch time I scarfed down 1100 in one meal. I ended the day with 1599 though. What racked up the calories at lunch time, I tried almond butter for the first time - oh man was it yummy. About 500 calories worth of yummy when combined with my apple!! All in all, it was a pretty close to perfect day for macros though. 74 net carbs, 98 fat, 92 protein.

            Some days I do have to open my window early but I am still around 17 - 18 hours by then. I think I do better if I can eat supper around 6 - 7. When I eat 5 or earlier, I "think" I get a little hungry before bed at 9. But when I eat at 6 or 7, sometimes I can't make it until 1 or 2 for lunch.

            I cant say I have had awesome results. I am pretty much stuck with 5 pounds weight loss a month. But it is going down. Body composition is changing. And it is pretty painless & effortless. I was just re-reading their summary page, to refresh in my mind why I do it, and I see they say expect 4 pounds a month, so I guess maybe I am awesome When I was eating breakfast after going primal, I was 5 pounds also though.
            65lbs gone and counting!!

            Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

            Comment


            • Originally posted by gopintos View Post
              I cant say I have had awesome results. I am pretty much stuck with 5 pounds weight loss a month. But it is going down. Body composition is changing. And it is pretty painless & effortless. I was just re-reading their summary page, to refresh in my mind why I do it, and I see they say expect 4 pounds a month, so I guess maybe I am awesome When I was eating breakfast after going primal, I was 5 pounds also though.
              Ack. You *are* awesome. I would kill for a steady 5 lb per month!
              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

              Oscar Wilde

              Comment


              • At this point I've stopped Fast 5. Initially it seemed to really help my blood sugars but after 6 weeks or so of it my glucose started to get wonky. I might try it again in the future.

                Comment


                • I used to but am a lot hungrier than I was when my metabolism was slower. So, no more long fasts.

                  Comment


                  • I basically do this daily. So I guess you could say that it's more akin to the "Warrior Diet" although I do not eat the little snacks the Warrior Diet advocates. I go all day fasting and then eat a meal at the end of the day totaling somewhere between 1,600 and 2,200 calories I'd guess.

                    I've been having great results with my fat burning and leaning out nicely.
                    "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

                    Comment


                    • I've been 5'ing for 6-8 weeks now (can't remember exactly how long) and I have not seen any fat loss or weight loss. I've gained 1-2 lbs. actually. I've been bingeing during my 5 hr. window, it reminds me of when I gave up smoking 20 years ago, I'd smoke 5-6 cigarettes in a row, not because they felt good, but because I could feel my window closing and I'd smoke too much in a panicky anticipation that I couldn't have any more. The fasting has been easy, sometimes I am really hungry but that's only about 2 hrs. or so before I break the fast, so that is easy for me to manage. And finally, this week, I've been able to sit down and have reasonable meals, and eat until I'm comfortable instead of stuffed at the end of the 5 hr. window. I just think it's taken my body and mind this long to adjust, and to realize that I will not starve overnight and in the next morning before I can eat again. So I'm sticking to this to see if I can lose fat now that I'm eating more reasonably, I really like taking such a long break from eating, and I like being able to eat until I feel full again, instead of eating throughout the day, but feeling hungry to lose weight.

                      Comment


                      • It works well for me, and here's how:

                        I only do this 8 out of every 14 days, AKA my work week.

                        I stay high-protein, high-fat, and a little green veggies on the side for the beginning of the week, and add sweet potatoes toward the end of the week - staying high-fat and high-protein, just additional carbs from the tater.

                        Workouts? Anytime, anywhere. Fasting, pre-meal or post-meal, it all evens out.

                        Most of my 2500 calories are in 1 meal, with a light bite at the end of the 5-hour window, usually some canned seafood or an avocado or two.

                        Black coffee, and lots of it, definitely keeps the hunger away. Sometimes I put coconut milk in it (turns it into a fat-fast at that point, I suppose!) but often just black.

                        I eat upon waking, but it's in the PM because I work night shift. So I get to sleep through the hungriest part of the day.
                        Crohn's, doing SCD

                        Comment


                        • Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences.
                          So far this has been working pretty well for me. (This is day 5.) The hunger is not a problem. The only two days I have felt low energy also had other explanations, too little sleep on one day and a party the night before with too much wine on the other.

                          Pros to Fast 5 for me:
                          1)Fits in with my life/schedule well. I don't have an office or lunching with clients kind of pressures to eat during the day. But I do cook for my Dad in the evening and eat with him.
                          2)Evening is when I have the time to eat and digest well. I'm not eating and then dashing off somewhere. I think this is healthy.
                          3)A five hour window takes the pressure off stuffing it all in in one meal that I found to be a drawback to the warrior diet.
                          4)Feeling truly satisfied on food feels good.

                          Cons to Fast 5 for me:
                          1) Anticipatory eating that I don't need, particularly after dinner. As in eat it now even if you're not hungry because it's going to be a loooong time 'til tomorrow evening. Does this just go away by itself or do you have to consciously control it?

                          Comment


                          • It goes away, especially if you are busy.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              It goes away, especially if you are busy.
                              We'll see. Maybe when the novelty wears off, the need to pre-eat will die down.

                              Knifegill, Since we both share an interest in ketosis, I'll ask you. Do you think 19 hours/day is enough to induce a more or less permanent state of ketosis if this eating plan is followed continuously?

                              Comment


                              • I think it depends on what you eat in your eating window. But I failed in my ketosis effort, so I apparently do not understand it as well as I thought I did. Four days of eating almost zero carb did not put me into ketosis. I'm baffled, and lack the science to explain it. I should have been well into production of ketone bodies by then based on my meager understandings! I'm going to try it again in a month or so, and I'll use a narrow eating window as well as reducing protein and going without caffeine.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X