Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving up coffee for March, who's with me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coffee is pretty nice now and again but i think people who love it so much in the morning are maybe slightly addicted to it? I phased it out and now drink white tea 3 times a day, full of antioxidants and actually tastes really nice, not bitter like green tea
    still i do enjoy a mocha from starbucks once in a while!
    If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

+1 for white tea. I keep a pitcher in the frig all the time. It's crazy expensive locally but I found it pretty cheap in bulk online.
      "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

I just bought 2+ Lbs of Kona, so not happening. I have done it in the past, for extended periods but find that it only really mattered if I cut out *all* sources of caffeine. Then after a few unpleasant days, I consistently felt about as energized as I did after my first cup on a relaxing morning. Since going primal, I have cut back considerably, from 4-6 cups with 2 packets of Splenda and milk, to 1-2 cups with 1 stevia and heavy cream. Maybe once I finish the Kona, I'll give it another go.
        “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ―Bruce Lee

2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
        2013: 1/27 190~20%

Comment

I like my coffee in the morning, I drink it for the taste as much as anything else. I don't usually eat breakfast and I can't drink tea on an empty stomach, it makes me nauseous. Coffee does not have that effect on me.

Comment

I drink coffee maybe once a week, and I drink tea Mon-Fri (I keep my loose leaf teas stashed at work) but I don't do it for the caffeine (only have one yerba mate which is caffeinated, the rest are not) but just because I like it.

Giving up a daily coffee habit is a good thing, but I won't ever just NOT drink coffee, it can be very tasty when prepared right... it does wire me up something awful though, so I can never have more than half a cup. Throw some cream on and that shit is tasty.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
              coffee is pretty nice now and again but i think people who love it so much in the morning are maybe slightly addicted to it? I phased it out and now drink white tea 3 times a day, full of antioxidants and actually tastes really nice, not bitter like green tea
              still i do enjoy a mocha from starbucks once in a while!
              I love white tea too, Chinese silver needle is great. There are a few varieties of green tea that are bitter, but most of them should not be. If you're finding green tea bitter you might be brewing it for too long or at too high a temperature. Get some Chinese Sencha green tea and brew at 80C for 3 minutes - not a hint of bitterness.
              My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

I'll be giving up coffee this month as well, finished off my last bit today...what perfect timing! I'll be caffeine-free though, no green/black/or white tea for me. OP I'm interested in why you've decided to keep other caffeine sources? Sorry if you've already answered that, I only skimmed the whole thread.

Comment

Originally posted by al09 View Post
                  I'll be giving up coffee this month as well, finished off my last bit today...what perfect timing! I'll be caffeine-free though, no green/black/or white tea for me. OP I'm interested in why you've decided to keep other caffeine sources? Sorry if you've already answered that, I only skimmed the whole thread.
                  No worries. I'm keeping green tea in the mix primarily because it's my favourite drink and it's really beneficial in terms of antioxidants. I believe there's less than half the amount of caffeine in a cup of green tea than in the massive mugs of coffee I buy from the coffee shops. If you consider that I drink twice as much coffee as I do green tea, then I'm drastically reducing my caffeine intake. I don't consume any other sources of caffeine that I'm aware of.

Also I don't get the same must-have cravings with green tea - I don't feel there's a psychological or physical addiction that there is with coffee, for me at least. In my OP I recalled the first time I went fully Primal and felt fantastic (still with the green tea, but no coffee), compared with this time around where I kept the coffee and noticed less benefit. I'm trying to see if I can recreate the same level of vitality I had back then.

Comment

The less coffee I drink the better I feel. Even decaf. I drink 1-2 small cups of decaf per week. I'm working on getting rid of it completely and sometimes I do, but it is a major comfort go-to when I have an annoying task at work. Hard to let go of it as a reward/crutch.
                    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

I hear you Jammies, precisely the reason I'm doing this.

Comment

Nope. I tend to feel good when I wake up and even better after making and enjoying a french press espresso roast with heavy cream. If there comes a day when it makes me feel crappy I'll...figure something out.

Comment

This thread came just in time -- this past Saturday, I decided that I'll be going a month without coffee. It hasn't even been a week and I feel way better. More stable energy, better skin, better sleep, etc. I love the taste and effects of coffee, but I'm not a fan of being caffeine tolerant, and the "coffee hangovers" suck. I only drank it three times a week, but even then, it was getting to the point where I would need 24 ounces to get an effect. Not a fan of drinking that much coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post

Giving up a daily coffee habit is a good thing, but I won't ever just NOT drink coffee, it can be very tasty when prepared right... it does wire me up something awful though, so I can never have more than half a cup. Throw some cream on and that shit is tasty.
                            +1
                            No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
                            -Buddha

Comment

Well I have decided to join. I went to half calf not long ago and then to decaf a few days ago but woke this morning and decided to just go cold turkey from today. I am totally giving up caffeine due to having tight muscles in my neck and shoulders that have been bothering me. I already notice a difference going decaf so can't wait to see it totally go away. I was off caffeine totally for many years and slowly started drinking more coffee when I gave up soda 2 years ago and i think it has been bad for me.

Comment

That's great Tarek & Trob, hope it goes well for ya.

So day one over with...
                                Felt a bit tired and was yearning for a coffee mid-morning, but held out. Felt really sleepy in the afternoon, had to go for a nap between 3-5pm. Unusual. But I hadn't slept much the night before so that might have affected me.

This morning I REALLY wanted a coffee, but just went for the green tea. About to go for my first workout without the caffeine boost, should be interesting...

Comment

Working...
                                X