Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing too much weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Losing too much weight

    Hi Everyone.......Hoping I am putting this in the right category.

    I've never really had a big weight problem but was chunking up a little bit so I tried Atkins about 10 years ago and I loved it. I really haven't strayed too much from the plan in these last 10 yrs. I always eat healthy anyway but for a while there I was adding in whole wheat pasta and brown rice thinking it was healthy too. I wasn't losing any weight and in fact started gaining a little and attributed it to having "healthy carbs" at every meal and middle age. Then I discovered eating Primal and this website- love both by the way. I enjoy eating this way and I don't miss the pasta/rice/bread at all. I have lost a lot a weight in the last 3 months and feel better overall. I've gone from a size 8 to a 2/4. I love that but I'm afraid to keep losing, my ribs are showing lol. I'm only 5'2'' and now at 119 lbs or so. I eat 2 eggs every morning, a protein and veggies for lunch and same with dinner with some fruit/nuts sprinkled in. My portions are small but I get full so fast and stay full for so long, I'm not sure I could eat more if I tried. So my question is how do I keep from losing anymore and avoid gaining at the same time. Never thought I would have this problem
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

  • #2
    Hey-yo another STL folk here!! Glad to have you on board.

    If you're worried about becoming too small, try adding a strength/lifting regiment. That will put some healthy muscle back on you around those ribs (and arms and legs etc.) I do the "Five Essential Primal Movements" as outlined in the free eBook available on this site called Primal Blueprint Fitness. I try to do that every 3-4 days or so.

    That's all I got. From a diet standpoint, I'd say you're pretty much dialed in. Don't change anything if what you're doing is working. Just keep enjoying good Primal food and follow you're body's signals as far as how much to eat.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 02-23-2012, 11:34 AM. Reason: typos
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

    Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

    Comment


    • #3
      What's your secret? I wish I could say the same! I'm stuck in a plateau .

      Comment


      • #4
        Not sure exactly, I really think some people are more carb sensitive than others and that's me. When I first started Atkins, the induction period is very little carbs and I dropped weight rapidly because of it. When I add any in, it seems to make me gain weight quicker than the average person. I would also be careful of hidden sabatoges such as eating out and hidden sugars in things like ketchup, salad dressings and even vitamins. I'm not sure but it seems like my metabolism has changed to a point where it has taught itself to eat more from a fuel standpoint than a "I'm going to eat that because it looks good" standpoint. I really only eat something when my body tells me it needs food. Not sure if that's good or bad but that's what it is. I can't convince people that cravings do go away and it's not from a mind over matter thing but from a real change within your body.

        Well good luck to you and I hope you find what's plateauing you.

        Comment


        • #5
          I second the "build muscle" notion! Weight training is essential to optimal health and fitness.

          Comment


          • #6
            5'2" at 119 sound pretty healthy. I ditto the others - start building some muscle. Do you do any sports or exercise regimen? After I started a sport a while back, my body composition changed, and even my pencil-neck got bigger.
            Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree, this is something I have definitely been lacking. I'm 46 and I think I need it from a getting old perspective too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Assuming you have an average-size frame, 119 is an excellent weight for 5'2". That said... you could look at your calorie intake. It's possible you're eating slightly below maintenance because the Primal foods make you feel fuller. And I would also echo the recommendation to do some (more) strength training, which will not only help you build lean mass but be very good for your bone density as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Haha! Getting old eh? I'm 46 and there aren't many anywhere close to my age that can keep up with me. But yes weight training is number one. It strengthens and builds muscle and your bones. It is the absolute best preventive measure one can take regarding osteoporosis. It helps improve metabolism and greatly reduces the risk of diabetes as well as many other diseases and conditions. You are young and can make great progress with a good resistance training. The key is to learn how to train properly and then to train hard! I see way too many people in the gym just swinging super light weights around thinking they are working out. I saw a guy today doing machine shoulder presses. The handles were moving up and down at a ridiculously fast speed. I looked further and he was lifting like 3 plates. This continued for multiple sets of multiple exercises. This guy had absolutely no muscle to speak of and it wasn't because of genetics. He had the type of build that is pretty decent for building muscle mass. He simply had no intensity. So what I'm saying is not only do it, but do it right! The results are worth the effort.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by STLGIRL View Post
                    I'm not sure but it seems like my metabolism has changed to a point where it has taught itself to eat more from a fuel standpoint than a "I'm going to eat that because it looks good" standpoint. I really only eat something when my body tells me it needs food. Not sure if that's good or bad but that's what it is. I can't convince people that cravings do go away and it's not from a mind over matter thing but from a real change within your body.
                    That might be the most important things there is to the Primal approach! At least from a dietary perspective. Totally put my vote in the "GOOD!!" ledger.
                    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

                    Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by STLGIRL View Post
                      Not sure exactly, I really think some people are more carb sensitive than others and that's me. When I first started Atkins, the induction period is very little carbs and I dropped weight rapidly because of it. When I add any in, it seems to make me gain weight quicker than the average person. I would also be careful of hidden sabatoges such as eating out and hidden sugars in things like ketchup, salad dressings and even vitamins. I'm not sure but it seems like my metabolism has changed to a point where it has taught itself to eat more from a fuel standpoint than a "I'm going to eat that because it looks good" standpoint. I really only eat something when my body tells me it needs food. Not sure if that's good or bad but that's what it is. I can't convince people that cravings do go away and it's not from a mind over matter thing but from a real change within your body.

                      Well good luck to you and I hope you find what's plateauing you.
                      You're doing it right.
                      ad astra per aspera

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've been wondering this as well. I went on the primal diet for health reasons. I've been eating gluten free my whole life, but I just dramatically cut back on sugar. In the 4 weeks since I did that I lost 4.5 lbs. I was at the higher end of my weight range to start with so it's fine, but I don't really want to lose more than another 4-6 lbs. I'm currently 138 lbs (I've been weight training since I was 16 so I have a lot of muscle my percent body fat is 18%) at 5 6'. I'd be okay with dropping 6 lbs to get down to 15% but I don't want to go under that. I'm hoping my weight loss will stall around there. Otherwise I'll probably see if eating more starchy carbs (potatoes, sweet potatoes, maybe some rice) and see if that helps.

                        One thing that Gary Taubs talked allot about was the fact that people have very different levels of insulin sensitivity so where I can lose weight while still eating some starchy veggies others won't. I'm assuming that I can just figure out what level of starchy carbs I need to eat in order to maintain my weight.

                        Good luck with this. Let me know if you figure out any tricks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          silverfox,

                          Spot on with your analysis. Everyone's going to reach an equilibrium at different places.

                          Kurt Harris over at Archevore - Archevore Blog hit a point where he felt like he didn't weigh enough and slowly added in rice krispies. The result was that his weight crept back up. I read Archevore almost as much as I do MDA. He's not quite exactly the same as the Primal Blueprint, but there's a lot of common ground between the two sites. Besides, a fresh take is always nice. The details of his playing around with rice krispies are in a two part article. Part 1 is here: Archevore - Archevore Blog - Thoughts on Ketosis -*I
                          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

                          Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
                          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            When I got down to my goal scale number I started adding in a little more fruit and starchy veggies. Now I'm just working on toning up what I've got. I wouldn't mind adding a few pounds of lean mass.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AnneArchy View Post
                              What's your secret? I wish I could say the same! I'm stuck in a plateau .
                              +1
                              and I think the secret is ....very low calorie intake here...I'm starving just looking at breakfast.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X