Raw Liver Smoothies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Liver Smoothies

I am a firm believer in the requirement of regular offal in the the diet for health and energy. I eat bone marrow and bone stocks regularly with no problem.

I have tried every liver recipe in the book and hate them all. I had been cutting up frozen liver and washing them down like pills. I don't like that strategy.

Tonight I made a frozen raw liver smoothie:

3 strawberries
    honey
    small piece of ginger
    a splash of cider vinegar, a little water
    a pinch of salt
    and a couple chunks of raw, frozen sheep liver.

It was the least offensive of the liver methods I have tried.

Any thoughts on doing this weekly? What are the odds of getting a parasite from raw liver? My immune system is very suppressed from arthritis drugs and I am sure my doctor would loose his shit if he knew I was eating this , but I am desperate for better energy and liver is one thing that helps.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Upon doing a little reading last night - I'm thinking this is not such a great idea. Maybe I'll try to put cooked liver in the smoothie - although that seems like the texture would be nasty.

Maybe I should try getting hypnotized into liking liver
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Comment

Ya know, lightly cooking liver in bacon fat with onions is pretty good or have you tried that already. Anyway liver smoothie = yuck, JMHO anywho....

Comment

i tried fried liver and the smell and taste was just awful, it makes me sick thinking about it now
        i read somewhere that freezing liver for 2 weeks kills any parasites
        If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

watching this thread b/c i too really hate liver. I eat liver pills every day to make up for it.

Comment

Have you thought about dessicated liver powder? There are several on the market~

Comment

Dude, that is WAY too paleo for me. However, I'm a big believer in COOKED organs and struggle to get them into my diet. In fact, as I write this I'm attempting for the first time to make a broth out of grass fed beef heart (wish me luck).

I loathe the taste of liver. I recently cooked some chicken livers using this recipe from Mark Sisson's Primal Cookbook pg.52. I cooked them with onions and ate them with baked potatoes.

I tell you something. This was the best liver eating experience ever. It was almost completely pleasant. I froze it up and plan to eat a little snack of it every day, or every other day.

Comment

Dude, that is WAY too paleo for me. However, I'm a big believer in COOKED organs and struggle to get them into my diet. In fact, as I write this I'm attempting for the first time to make a broth out of grass fed beef heart (wish me luck).

I loathe the taste of liver. I recently cooked some chicken livers using this recipe from Mark Sisson's Primal Cookbook pg.52. I cooked them with onions and ate them with baked potatoes.

I tell you something. This was the best liver eating experience ever. It was almost completely pleasant. I froze it up and plan to eat a little snack of it every day, or every other day.

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
                  I've heard this too. I also make raw liver smoothies.... just gotta plug your nose and gulp 'em down as fast as possible. And keep it plugged for a while after too while the taste is still in your mouth.

Comment

Raw cow liver tastes like milk to me. But chicken liver has almost no flavor once cooked. A little butter and herbs and you'll probably love it.
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post

Good luck on the heart broth, but I think broth made with bones would be more nutritious. Last week I made a delicious soup with broth made from pig feet and pork neck bones and some leftover dripping from a pork roast, it was so good. This weekend I made a chicken feet broth. It's not a rich as the pork was, but still good. It kind of reminds me of the wonton soup broth you get in Chinese restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        Raw cow liver tastes like milk to me. But chicken liver has almost no flavor once cooked. A little butter and herbs and you'll probably love it.
                        I have tried so many ways to prepare it. But I really do hate the stuff. I like pate - but only the stuff with lots of cream and eggs (off limits for me) and preferable on french bread

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                          Have you thought about dessicated liver powder? There are several on the market~
                          I do have dessicated liver pills. I don't mind it, but to be honest I don't feel the same energy boost. I wonder if I could just up the dose?

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
                            i tried fried liver and the smell and taste was just awful, it makes me sick thinking about it now
                            I've read that too. I have had this frozen for a couple weeks, so I'm hoping I didn't give myself of nasty parasite. But I have also read that even after two months to occasional worm egg can sneak through 0_0!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post

LOL - believe me, if I could find a way around it I would NEVER do this! I am really desperate for a health improvement so I'll try anything.

Thanks for the recipe. Maybe when I get brave again I'll give it a try

Comment

Working...
                              X