Type of protein powder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of protein powder?

For all of my fellow primal types who like to look a bit more visibly muscular with their shirt on and not just amazing sans the clothing: What specimen of protein powder (specifically whey, as the title suggests) do you use?

I personally use Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey protein, I would like to use their egg protein but it has sucralose.

I stick to the cheap GNC 100% Whey Protein. I know it isn't perfect but I use it so rarely, I would much rather have some eggs (and usually do), when I have serious dessert cravings.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

I like the reflex microwhey as it is much more purified and I don't get the side effects I got on standard whey (bloated etc). 98% free of lactose It's fast digesting so if you want it to digest slower mix it with something when you eat it. It also mixes with water which can be very convenient for people who need a quick shake or who don't drink milk.

Total Calories: 108

Protein: 26g

Total Carbohydrates: 0.2g

Fat: 0.3g

Sodium: 55mg

Potassium: 293mg

Digezyme: 50mg

Comment

I'm using a whey isolate powder in chocolate nut flavour from myprotien.co.uk. Its beautiful, and mixes very nicely with water.

How many do you take a day?

A friend has told me to take 3 servings of 25g a day. Sound about right?

Comment

Don't use much protein anymore. If im in a rush I'll use raw eggs (only if they're top notch organic) and if I don't have the best of eggs, I'll go with Jay Robb's egg white protein.

And Kane what do you means 3x25 a day? Kind of a general statement that doesn't make much sense in my eyes. Especially if your not doing some type of liquid diet, or multiple workout a day program, I don't see why you would need 75g supplemental protein a day.

sigpic
          In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

Six, not sure if you would go for it because it is expensive, and Mark just posted his opinion on these types of protein powders... but Grass-fed whey is amazing. Very expensive though. Might as well just buy some grass-fed meats and eat those.

sigpic
            In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. I haven't had to re-stock since going paleo. The ingredients do list a few unpronounceable words, but I don't feel any negative effects from it. However, unprocessed is unprocessed, so when I have to re-stock next, I'll probably look for a more Paleo-compliant powder (key word: more).

Comment

I like Super advanced whey protein made by Body Fortress. The last ingredient is sucralose. It does have 3g sugar and 5g carbs, but it makes up for it with a wopping 52g of protein. It is not a meal relpacer it is more for bulking up or recovery after training.

Another thought I have is bee pollen. If you don't have allergies it could be a good option. Not only is Bee pollen is rich in protein and B12 it contains nearly all nutrients required by humans. The cool part about it is half of the protein is in the form of free amino acids that are ready to be used directly by the body.

~Blog~

Comment

I will definitely look into the grass fed protein A.S. but I disagree that 3X25 doesn't make much sense... I drink 2-3 scoops of 25g protein powder 6 times a week; that being said I also train hard 6 times a week and I am some what of a hard gainer. I choose whey do to its fast digestion over whole foods sources and no side effects (such as bloating like andalus experiences) and have been able to gain muscle mass while staying ~7% BF, but still like to see alternatives since whey protein powder is my least primal source of nutrients.

And bee pollen? That sounds very interesting I am surprised I have never once heard about it before.

Comment

Oh Im not saying it's not appropriate under certain circumstances. What I was saying was critiquing his friend who gave the advice you should drink whey 3 times a day. Thats one of those cookie cutter like statements I tend to gravitate away from.

sigpic

Comment

I can appreciate your thoughts in that sense, most people do what body building magazines tell you to do regardless of understanding their own body and specific goals.

Comment

Exactly. The most important thing people can do with their diets, exercise, and lifestyle is learn to fine tune it to themselves.

Once you understand and can interpret your bodies needs and signals, the chance of "falling off the wagon" is very low.

As with any advice, take it, make sense of it, and fine-tune it to yourself.

sigpic

Comment

Well I'm on strong lifts 5x5, so I am lifting heavy 3x a week. What I meant was, If thats 75g supplimental protein a day, as well another 75g from my "real diet" am I consuming too much protien? I'm 135, 8.5% BF

Comment

Kane that would kind of depend on what the rest of your diet looks like. Depending on how many carbs your getting, ect...

But 150 grams is fine, and especially since you are trying to gain weight there's no reason not to up the protein. I would say that getting 75 grams from supplemental whey over food, especially when trying to gain, might not be the best idea.

But if you're in a rush and doing it because of that then that's different.

sigpic

Comment

I use EAS 100% Whey. Used to use the ON, but the EAS seems to mix better, and it is cheaper. I drink 3-5 shakes a week, at aboout 45 g of protein per serving.

Comment

Working...
                              X