Explain why primal is better than eating all vegetables for weightloss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain why primal is better than eating all vegetables for weightloss

I am still trying to get a grasp on all of this as I have made the transition from eating all vegetables, only a small serving of grain and a higher fat (all healthy oils) diet, to a paleo diet. Why is it that my weight plateaued and I ended up gaining weight when I ate a very clean diet. I know there are many followers here coming from the SAD and have seen such quick results, but I want to know if I will experience drastic results as well. Each time I attempt to make the full on transition to paleo, I get constipated and feel that I gain weight at first. I can't decide which is best for me or what will produce the best results! Does it have to do with the body working harder to break down proteins and fats that helps with weight loss? I was eating mostly cooked vegetables all day long with maybe 1/4 cup of quinoa in the morning, I would say I was not eating a ton of calories yet i saw the scale go up not down.

Were you eating a lot of wholegrains before?

I put on a lot of weight after I gave up gluten grains. I suspect I was undiagnosed celiac. I wasn't coming from a SAD when I went primal - I just gave up whole corn and legumes essentially. It led to weight loss because I had given up gluten grains a few years previously.

I love veggies too - currently eating around 8 portions a day. I get constipated when I don't eat enough.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Eating mostly veggies with some grains doesn't provide enough protein to support muscle. Protein ups the metabolic rate and insulin spikes from grains tends to cause fat storage. A grain+ veggie diet also does nothing to support the thyroid, which is a huge driver of our metabolic rate. We need protein for our thyroid to function.
      Also, if you're not eating enough calories (which is sounds like you probably weren't), it will slow down your metabolism. What kind of oils were you eating (this could be another factor)?

Have you read The Primal Blueprint or The Paleo Solution? It's important to understand the philosophy behind the diet.
      http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Complete proteins and B Vitamins.
        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

You'd lose more mass eating just veggies and grains,but that isn't a good thing.People seem to either not realize or ignore the fact that weight loss or gain isn't pure fat but comprised of fat,water and glycogen,lean mass from muscles,and even mass from bones.Not getting the proper amount of protein leads to an increase in the amount of lean mass lost,and veggies and grains are a fairly poor source of protein unless balanced and watched like a hawk.Primal on the other hand isn't a weight loss diet,it's designed to get you healthy in an overall sense,but it just so happens that efficient fat loss is part of this.
          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
          CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

When you transition from a low protein veg diet to a higher protein diet that includes animal foods, you will most likely gain some weight (considering you aren't obese). Now that your body has the protein, fat, and minerals it needs to repair itself, it will. Your body is building muscle, bone, cartilage etc that is lost form moderate-long term vegetarian diets. I gained about 8 pounds over the course of 3 months when I first went primal (coming from a vegan diet) but didn't notice any actual fat gain. How much above target weight are you? Also, with an increase in calories, expect to gain. Once your hormones regulate and you are adjusted to the primal diet (can take several months for some people), you may find it easier to lose weight.

Comment

I lost a lot of weight once on an all vegetable diet. I also almost threw a hair drier into my bathtub because of it.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Sorry, I missed the point that the OP isn't getting enough protein.

All vegetables for weightloss = muscle loss, for sure.
                F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Are you eating meat at all?

Comment

What is your diet now? Can we have a meal plan or two?
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

My vegan diet used to be the following:
                      1/4 cup of quinoa flakes cooked with steamed greens/broccoli and some olive oil and sea salt in the morning
                      Lunch - usually a huge bowl of sauteed vegetables with olive oil and salt
                      Snakc- handful of nuts or piece of dark chocolate
                      dinner- roasted vegetables and a salad
                      after dinner- usually when I started to crave fatty foods- I would usually eat trail mix (cashews pistachios goji berries mulberries cacao nibs) or some raw cereal with rice milk/coconut milk.
                      I think the problem was the dried fruit and my intense need to have something more filling after dinner. Thats why I am switching, because even though I probably was not getting an intense amount of calories, I know that the sugar in that dried fruit was probably a culprit. I also just seem to be very bloated but I truly never eat grains other than in the morning.

Now I am switching over to chicken sausage in the morning with steamed spinach, salsa, some olive oil drizzled. Lunch has been a big salad with chicken or turkey, chopped veggies and oliveoil/balsamic.

Usually am not a snack eater honestly, so I hold off until dinner for sauteed veggies or roasted veggies with chicken breast or fish/ whatever protein I can find.

I do feel more energized on this diet in the morning, but its the afternoons when it starts to get me. I heard once it had to do with your liver if you can't digest those foods- who knows though, everyone has a different theory.

I am at a healthy weight 110 5'6-this is my natural weight growing up. I feel though I look puffy around my stomach from this vegan diet, and am scared about this transition to paleo. I dont want to gain anymore weight around my midsection. I used to do cardio 5-6 times a week for 30 minutes by the way, but this week I am cutting it all out just to see what happens. I lost 8 pounds once when I did not even move (probably muscle loss) but I was also doing a little yoga here and there at the time so I did get some muscle.

I would love some more personal experiences and advice here. I really want to do this right and to understand this completely. I have read these books but its not clicking yet for me

Comment

For me, weightloss means consuming fewer calories. I eat around 1400 a day to lose weight.

I was a vegetarian, very low fat, and restricting to 1400 calories day while eating low fat, made me hungry all the time. I could stick to it for a week or two. Then.... I just had to eat and would binge on whatever.

With primal, eating the veggies, some fruits, no nuts (hate 'em), no grains, very little sugar (a bit in my coffee), fats and meats, my same 1400 calories a day keeps me filled up, fueled and not dreaming of more food. I just feel nourished and satisified. Been really adhering to Primal for 2 months, but started back at the end of October and have yet to have a "fall of the wagon binge of epic proportions". To be sure, I've had a cupcake here, too much wine there...

I lose maybe a pound a week- when eating the veggies and low fat, a pound a week was not good because it always felt unsustainable. "I can't keep this up". When I would binge, I didn't want to go back to eating "healthy" because I was so deprived. Now, eating primal.... I don't feel deprived, and its genuine not feeling deprived (not that fake "I got willpower"). I enjoy every meal I eat. So I eat the same number of calories, feel more nourished and don't feel deprived.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by VeggieLover View Post
                          I am at a healthy weight 110 5'6-this is my natural weight growing up. I feel though I look puffy around my stomach from this vegan diet, and am scared about this transition to paleo. I dont want to gain anymore weight around my midsection. I used to do cardio 5-6 times a week for 30 minutes by the way, but this week I am cutting it all out just to see what happens. I lost 8 pounds once when I did not even move (probably muscle loss) but I was also doing a little yoga here and there at the time so I did get some muscle.
                          I am ~116 at 5'4" and I am considered somewhat underweight. Please tell me there is a typo there somewhere That's not a healthy weight, and you should be aiming to put weight on, urgently. When you say growing up, how old are you? Beanpole is fine for a teenager, but the idea is to fill out at some point, ideally with a good mix of muscle and fat.
                          You need to do some strength training, and unless you are seriously weak 'a little yoga' won't do that. A tummy without muscles will look flabby, no matter what. Lame comparison: you cannot make animal shapes out of empty balloons.
                          Here's a good fat vs strength picture.

Full fat diary is usually recommended for fattening up, but having been vegan you might not want to dive head first into that. Coconut milk is a decent replacement, and in your case I'd say try and cram in some snacks whenever you can.

Gaining weight is hard work, but it sounds like you need it.

Comment

i think your food choice is fine, you might just want to throw some butter or coconut oil to your cooking both to your meats and veggies, add a little flavor while increasing your fat to keep you full longer.

i counted calories a long time ago, and i had moderate success due to i was running and lifting weights, but i will tell you this, eating primal, i've lost more fat, gained more muscle and haven't ever counted calories again. i eat until i'm satiated, and then i really don't eat until i'm hungry again, now somedays i do fast...and somedays i do eat like a horse...but it seems to even itself out when i listen to my body

best of luck to you and here is some veggie pron for you

IMG_20120221_182152.jpg
                            http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48307.html (journal)

Comment

@veggielover
                              Have you read the blueprint or the primer?
                              I am assuming you are eating chicken sausage because it is lower fat. Why not an egg instead?
                              There seems to be very little fat in your diet if you are flagging over lunch I think your might be eating less fat that you need.
                              Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                              PS
                              Don't forget to play!

Comment

Working...
                              X