Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to eat enough calories

Hi,

I have been doing the PB routine for about 7 weeks now, with some success in losing weight and bodyfat. My problem is though, I struggle to consume the calories that I am reading that I should.

My BMR is around 2600, and to lose the bodyfat I have been trying to eat about 2000 calories per day as follows.

140g protein
    120g fat
    50g carbs on rest days
    100g carbs on workout days

Problem is, I constantly feel full after eating just a small feed of high fat food. Is it going to be counter productive if I only consume say 1600 - 1800 calories per day?

Advice / feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers

Neil
    Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
    86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
    Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
    Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
    Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

I say listen to your body, don't sweat a few hundred calories. If your body truly needs it, it will signal you to eat more. Sounds like it's happily burning through fat stores right now.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazy1966 View Post
      Problem is, I constantly feel full after eating just a small feed of high fat food.
      What I would GIVE to have THIS problem.

I say listen to your body. If you feel good and not warn down and not hungry then I'd say you are doing fine. With one exception.. I would eat more on workout days if you hope to gain mass, even if you aren't hungry.
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

+1

Go with your body needs. You are reacting to the switch in macro-nutrient ratios, and eventually you will catch up to the real body requirements. Just give it time to balance, and you don't even need to count calories to be honest if you are not experiencing hunger problems and no problems with the fat loss & energy levels.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leida View Post
          +1
          Kinda reminds me of... my wallet is too small for my cash problem
          Primal since March 2011

Comment

Listen to your body.

Remember 50g of carb is for weight loss up to 150g of carb for effortless maintenance (give or take). If you feel you are loosing too fast and not gaining muscle there is nothing wrong with adding some sweet potato or other good sources of carbs to up your carb intake.

I believe some people here go even higher on workout days so eat and be merry.
            Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
            PS
            Don't forget to play!

Comment

I Train heavy at the gym 2 times a week, Sunday and Wednesday, so What Ive been doing is, eating more fat callories on workout day and the day after workout day, and after that I eat normal, or however much my body asks for (Usually much less than what I do on workout days).

The Way I do it is with Double Cream or heavey cream in the US I think.

100ml Double cream = 500cals

I mix this with 100ml, water and 20g protein shake. 3 times On workout days, and 2 times on day after wotrkout day.

So thats about 1500 to 1000 increase in Cals on those two days.

I did gain a bit of weight from this and it palteoud at the start but its been about a month and the weight is slowly shedding (I guess the body had to adjust to the extra cals), but I did notice it has fueled my muscle building, Im guessing the extra energy is being used to help muscles heal.
              Ecommerce and Webdesign Agency
              www.nowaydesign.com

Email "Primal" to tin@nowaydesign.com and get a Discount.

Comment

Thanks for the replies,

My body has responded incredibly to the PB system so far. From the period 2nd Jan to 7th Feb I lost 7.1kg of fat and gained 2.6kg of lean weight so I guess I am doing something right. I just wasn't sure I was doing something a bit inefficient by such calorie restrictions. I've been doing the 16/8 IF thing, and find it hard to eat 2000 calories in the 8 hour window.

When (if) I get to 12% bodyfat I plan to start the eating schedule described in leangains.com

Thanks again for responding, I feel better now.

Neil
                Commenced PB Jan 2nd 2012.
                86.1kg, 23% bodyfat
                Last assessment January 26, 2014 - 79.4kgs & 14.6% bodyfat

My goal is to:
                Maintain PB lifestyle of diet and exercise.
                Maintain weight of around 80kgs and 15% bodyfat.

Comment

I've been doing the 16/8 IF thing, and find it hard to eat 2000 calories in the 8 hour window.
                  Neil
                  Another problem I dont have. I can go to outback and eat easily 2500 calories and I'm a female 5'1" 130lbs. I do find if I eat starchy food I can't do this.. like when I have to eat all that rice Post Workout... I can't get that many calories in, my stomach just fills up.. but if I eat just fat protein and fiburous veggies, I can eat a LOT.
                  Primal since March 2011

Comment

Im also finding the same issue with getting enough calories. I simply arent hungry.

However, a recent Body Comp test has told me my active tissue mass (muscle) is too low, and my fat mass still too high (Ive lost about 11kg in 11 weeks).

Im only getting 1000 calories a day if that, when my BMR is 1990.
                    I'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                      Kinda reminds me of... my wallet is too small for my cash problem
                      This literally made me laugh out loud...
                      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

My BMR is around 2600, and to lose the bodyfat I have been trying to eat about 2000 calories per day as follows.
                        I find it highly likely that your BMR is not 2600kCals/day.

Let's say it were (again, it's not), you should never purposely eat under your BMR regularly.
                        http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

Originally posted by StackingPlates View Post
                          I find it highly likely that your BMR is not 2600kCals/day.

Let's say it were (again, it's not), you should never purposely eat under your BMR regularly.
                          Yup, I think there is a misconception that abounds on this: your BMR is basically you in a coma, and this still varies person to person. Your caloric needs are going to be about 1.3 to 1.7 times your BMR.

Example: I'm 6'2" 80kg, my BMR is about 2000kcal, x 1.6 (quite active) I need about 3200kcal to maintain. I actually eat about 3300-3500/day.
                          "Go For Broke"
                          Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                          Small Kine-168/9%
                          Now- 200/8%
                          Goal- 210/6%

Comment

So if I aim for 1.3 to 1.6 times BMR (depending on activity), but keep carbs between say 25-100gms per day, weight loss is still achievable? Is this the "calorie is not a calorie" argument?
                            I'll be back

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post

I say listen to your body. If you feel good and not warn down and not hungry then I'd say you are doing fine. With one exception.. I would eat more on workout days if you hope to gain mass, even if you aren't hungry.
                              Ummmmm....I would be careful what I wish for! lol I use to think I wanted this problem as well. NOW I HAVE IT AND I HATE IT. I AM NEVER HUNGRY. For the past week I have to FORCE myself to even eat above 1200 calories (I am barely five feet tall). I am not as regular as I use to be and I feel constipated . Also, I still cannot shake the mindset that it is time for me to eat during meal times. I already skip breakfast and I am fine, but lunch and dinner I cannot bring myself to not eat either one of those. I know my body is revolting against this food it does NOT need because I am feeling bloated and constipated for trying to meet my calorie requirement. It is a very very wierd paradigm. I was going to open a new post but glad I saw this one.

Should I ONLY eat WHEN my body sends me signals??? I am afraid I will barely make 900 calories on days I listen to my body. I KNOW i am short but I want to at least reach 1200 calories for muscle mass gain purposes. I also kind of miss not feeling hungry...is this wierd? I kind look forward to my body telling me I am hungry so I can eat some yummy food, I am THAT addicted to food...(sad, I know)
                              Last edited by Lawyerchick12; 06-13-2012, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X