Did you know that the chocolate product that you are consuming contains a toxic substance called Ethanol? ("Theobromine"/ "Methylated Xanthine" - is a mild stimulant, similar to caffeine, but is NOT caffeine))
If you've followed the research on why sugar and alcohol (and other 'Ethanol' containing products) are dangerous to your body, it is because of the toxic substance of Ethanol being introduced to your liver ("Sugar: The Bitter Truth" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM ).
The fermentation process of such products as soy, alcohol & chocolate (raw cacao beans), kills the embryo for the 'sprouting' process to occur in the cacao beans. This fermentation process involves glycolysis, which produces Ethanol and Lactate (lactic acid) from the resulting Pyruvate. ( http://www.springerlink.com/content/f080j630t1357431/ )
Ethanol containing products: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOCNgiX7Zy4 (Glycolysis)
I heard this and like many of you, (undoubtedly), I wanted to plug my ears and sing "la, la, la, la.... I can't HEAR YOU!!!!"), but I want to bring up what my research has led me to.
All-in all, what I found is this: The darker the chocolate, the higher the concentration of Ethanol (and fructose).
From what I've read, the whole bean, prior to processing, would be 'Primal', however, the extraction of the cocao butter from the bean is only possible through this fermentation process, leaving only the 'cocao liquor' for making chocolate. This Cocao Liquor is the by-product of the fermentation of the bean and extraction of the cocao butter.
In short, the cocao nib contains all of the whole nutrients, including the cocao butter, which may be healthy for your body to consume (pre-fermentation process), however, what you are consuming in that 100% Dark Chocolate bar is a processed alkaloid (via the Xanthine, "Theobromine"), which can be good for the blood in small concentrations, but can be deadly to an already toxic liver as well as to a healthy liver, when introduced in high concentrations.
You may choose to ignore this, as many of us feel a 'euphoric' connection with this delicious 'food', however, I think proper education may be necessary for those who have existing liver issues, (including current and/ or past alcoholism), as this particular processed substance called 'chocolate' is more damaging to our liver than we thought.