Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to lose inches from hips & thighs

Hi

I've been primal on and off for years and feel best on a low carb version.

I started seriously after christmas due to family spa day in march. I've lost 13lbs in 7 weeks and 5 inches off my waist, but I've only lost 1 3/4 inch off my hips and one inch off my thighs.

A typical day is

eggs and bacon or omlette.

primal chilli or chop with onions and courgettes

homemade chicken curry or meat and veg for evening meal

I do fry a lot of my vegatable in butter, lard or dripping and I do have a lowcarb hot chocolate for supper sometimes with low carb crackers and cheese.

I try and walk 30mins + 5 days a week and do one set of bodyweight exercises with some fast skipping a week, any more and at the moment I get too stiff!

I am losing the weight but would really like to lose more from my hips and thighs, any suggestions?

I have 5 weeks including this one till my spa day and want to look as good as I can next to my stick thin sister!

C

You can't really spot loose. Your body shape will change so you need to learn to be happy with self. As has been discussed here many times stick thin is not always the idea, rather a fit and strong look...so keep moving.

Not sure what is in low carb crackers but if they are wheat or grain based I would ditch them and the cheese to maximize your weight loss.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I am now quite thin on top, but have been left with little weight loss below the waist, so I look as if I shouldn't lose any more above the waist.

The crackers are rice, and it is only very occasionally so will cut them out.

Thanks

Comment

Consistence is the first thing to strive for. Off and on is not going to cut it.

Remember that our bodies want to be a certain way. Fighting that is going to require enormous effort. Is it worth it? That's up to you.

Primal get you to homeostasis. If you want to go beyond that, the effort increases exponentially.
        Lifting Journal

Comment

Sounds like you're doing great!

The thing that has help my thighs immensely has been to add some Barre style workout to my routine. I don't replace LHT with it but as a supplemental workout for a specific result, they will slim and tighten you up like no other.

My favorites are from the Bar Method or Core Fusion.

Amazon.com: The Bar Method Dancer's Body Advanced Workout: Burr Leonard: Movies & TV

Amazon.com: Exhale: Core Fusion - Body Sculpt: Fred DeVito, Elisabeth Halfpapp, James Wvinner: Movies & TV

Or, you could try these clips from Youtube, adjusted to your fitness level. They look deceptively simple but are a seriously intense way to work your thighs and glutes.

The Ballet Physique - YouTube
          The Ballet Physique: Awesome Thighs - YouTube
          Exhale Spa's Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes DVD: 10-MINUTE WORKOUT - YouTube
          Exhale Core Fusion Thighs & Glutes - YouTube

To reiterate- I wouldn't replace heavy weights or body weight exercise with barre but I doubled my visible results very quickly doing these types of exercises. I also increased my flexibility and added strength and control to my heavier lifts and bonus - knees stopped creaking. Also, went down a pants size in three weeks with no scale change. Weight training builds the muscle and barre training pulls everything up to where you want it to be, if that makes sense.

Good luck!

Comment

Also, storing some fat on the hips/thighs is normal for a healthy woman since those fat stores are important to fertility. The body doesn't want to let go of that fat just because you'd like to be as stick-thin as your sister.

I'm one of those women with solid thighs even at my slimmest, and I've just come to accept that they're part of how my body is built. My mother's family are all tiny women, short and very slim and delicate--I'll never look like that as a taller woman with a more strong build, no matter how much I diet or work out. Sometimes it's helpful to stop trying to compare yourself to your relatives and take a look at what's beautiful about the body you have. A bit of curve isn't a bad thing.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
              Also, storing some fat on the hips/thighs is normal for a healthy woman since those fat stores are important to fertility. The body doesn't want to let go of that fat just because you'd like to be as stick-thin as your sister.

A bit of curve isn't a bad thing.
              I wish a women would make a sticky to this effect. I would, but I'd just get the usual butt-hurt about a man daring to give an opinion about women's bodies.
              Lifting Journal

Comment

Thanks I will try these, it sound like what I'm looking for.

C

Comment

it will take time .. the tougher areas are that way for a reason, the body wants to hold weight there as others have said ..

however, continue to drop weight and that too will drop ... or change up some excercises to tone some (i realize fat cant be turned to muscle)
                  started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                    I understand what you are saying here, but I am fat on my hips and thighs and feel much healthier when I am slimmer.

Thanks anyway
                    C

Comment

Intermittent Fasting
                      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Swim. In 6 months I have lost 27cms (10.8") off my hips an 6.5cms (2.6") off my thighs. I only measure monthly, next is 01 March
                        Odille
                        F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                        following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

I'll reiterate Dirlot's point that you can't spot reduce. In order to have smaller hips and thighs, you need to be smaller overall. Unfortunately for most women, the hips and thighs are the last bits where the fat will start to melt because that's where the body wants to store the fat the most to protect the reproductive organs. Also unfortunate for women, but those are the spots where fat will be deposited first when we gain weight. You will lose weight first in the upper body before your body will target the fat in those areas. However, if you lose a significant amount of body fat, you will be smaller overall. If you are pear-shaped, you are pear-shaped and there's no particular exercise or diet that will change that. You can, however, be a smaller and more fit pear-shape with enough work and patience.

Also, trying to lose weight too quickly is not healthy for you and you'll just add the weight back plus more. You have to be patient and, like Apex Predator said, you have to be consistent. Also agree that if you want to lose an extraordinary amount of weight that is beyond your body's natural set point, you have to put in an extraordinary amount of effort. That's just the way it goes.
                          Last edited by Fiji; 02-20-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolineC View Post
                            I understand what you are saying here, but I am fat on my hips and thighs and feel much healthier when I am slimmer.

Thanks anyway
                            C
                            Well, if you are at a healthy weight and want to push it further, you can do it, but you'll have to use some tricks like IF and tweaking your diet. You may also want to re-examine low carbing. A lot of folks around here have found that VLC works well to get down to a healthy weight, but to drop further, they've had to play with carb re-feeds or adjusting the carb/fat ratio as well as adding in some fasting.

If how you're eating now is continuing to have results in fat loss, great. But you may find your hips and thighs are the last bit to get really slim. It sucks, but that's how it goes for a lot of women. And you still may never have hips as small as your sister's if her pattern of fat storage, bone structure, and muscle mass is different from yours. I'd worry less about competing with your sibling and more about looking good for yourself.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I've lost the same amount - 13lbs - but over a much longer time period. I've managed to lose 5cm from the top of my thighs and 4cm from my hips. I do tend to store fat more on my stomach than my thighs which might be part of the reason why I've lost relatively easily from there. But I also walk 6 miles twice a week and also go out for hour twice a week and do sprint sessions during that hour. I do this first thing in the morning, fasted and I think that combination - the slow moving plus the HIIT and both in a fasted state - has really helped me to lose fat from my legs.

Comment

Working...
                              X