Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future of meat

What do you think about man made meat?

Meat demand is going to double in the next 40 years and right now we are using 70% of all our agricultural capacity to grow meat through livestock
    Meat grown in the laboratory could have several advantages, because its manufacture is controlled at each step. The tissue could be grown to produce high levels of healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids, or to have a particular texture
    £200,000 test-tube burger marks milestone in future meat-eating | Environment | The Guardian
    If man made it, don't eat it

The tissue could be grown to produce high levels of healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Comment

Soylent green is people!

Comment

o.
        m.
        g.

Seriously, are they *trying* to kill us?????

Comment

You know, I've wondered lately why society has an issue with nuclear energy (right or wrong-I don't know-which is a whole 'nother discussion) and thinks of fish with three heads and glowing people, but we (society) don't bat an eyelash when we hear about man-made foods, pesticides added to our foods, or creating "meat" in a lab. WTF?? Which is the more imminent threat to people on a large scale? Which is already having a negative affect on people and animals?
          I NEED Sunshine! And a beach would be nice too!
          Started Primal living February 14, 2011

Comment

Partially hydrogenating oils sounded like a heart healthy idea at one stage too.

Comment

I don't know about everyone else but I want my beef raised outside on natural pastures by caring farmers, not at some lab in a test tube by some scientist.

Comment

It's not appealing, but I can't blame science for thinking along these lines with world population growing and the world itself staying pretty much the same size. I don't know what the solution will be when billions more people want to get fed.
                Last edited by mike_h; 02-20-2012, 04:50 AM. Reason: fixed "can blame science" to "can't blame science"

Comment

It's freaky to think about, but if they can grow healthier cuts without side effects and all the health benefits, I'm down. It would help me eat a lot more meat without batting a moral eyelash. Doubtful that it will be up to my standards anytime soon if there's no or little demand for them.
                  | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

The price will have to come down. I've no intention of spending $200,000 on a burger. Not unless I can live in it.
                    My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

It is scary but I guess also it could be good news because it will be most likely be used to feed poorer countries and free up space for good quality farming for people who don't want it, but it's probably decades before anything like this is on the market

this is equally as scary, matrix style chicken farms:

Food Project Proposes Matrix-Style Vertical Chicken Farms | Underwire | Wired.com
                      If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

I just read about this on another site:

Scientist Cooks Up a Meatless Product for Meat Lovers | LiveScience

Comment

Real life sci-fi horror shit. I see zombies roaming the earth before too long. Soulless man made "lifeforms" sound scary to me. It might seem like a good and honorable attempt at feeding the world but I fear the possible repercussions of man playing God.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_h View Post
                            It's not appealing, but I can't blame science for thinking along these lines with world population growing and the world itself staying pretty much the same size. I don't know what the solution will be when billions more people want to get fed.
                            The only long-term solution is to stop increasing, and eventually decrease, the food supply. It sounds cruel but in reality it doesn't have to cause famine if it is done slowly. All animal populations including humans respond to an increased food supply with increased numbers and vice versa. Every time a new technology arises to feed the hungry mouths, we just create more.

Of course this has to be coupled with eliminating colonialism/imperialism and encouraging people to produce and consume their own food within their local food- and watersheds, instead of essentially forcing them to grow cash crops to sell on international commodities markets through distorted economic policies, etc. There are a lot of global forces contributing to overpopulation and famine, and taking away people's ability to supply their own needs by forcing them to participate in global "free trade" is a big one, IMO. Trade isn't free if participation is mandatory.
                            Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

I'm betting we could increase the meat supply enough to meet all demand in the US and then some by restoring the prairie and the buffalo and ceasing to grow corn, soy and wheat and other similar crops.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X