Can eating too much protein cause gout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David View Post
    Some people tell me that eating too much protein, such as meat, will cause gout. As far as I know, no one that I know that eats a Paleo diet has had trouble with gout. Has anyone had symptoms of gout when eating a lot of protein? I haven't.
    Gout is caused by uric acid which is produced primarily from fructose metabolism.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/05/gout/

Apparently, beer also raises uric acid as well.

Originally posted by VenDexter View Post
    I've suffered from both kidney stones and gout prior to becoming paleo/primal. I finally nailed mine down to excessive HFCS. Haven't had any problems with either since eliminating corn syrup and refined sugars.
    Really sweet fruits may also cause problems.
    Last edited by js290; 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
      Gout is caused by uric acid which is produced primarily from fructose metabolism.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube
      Gout: The Missing Chapter from Good Calories, Bad Calories

Apparently, beer also raises uric acid as well.

Really sweet fruits may also cause problems.
      I can't see any good argument to eat sweet fruits, seeing that fructose is obviously a toxin.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by codered5 View Post
        The human body has a PH balance, with homeostasis being slightly basic...Most of us, however, have an acidic diet. Alkaline (basic) foods that you put in your body include fruits and veggies. Foods that our bodies treat as acidic include animal proteins, dairy, grains, processed sugars, caffeine, etc. If your diet is acidic (which 98% of Americans are), your body tries to return to the Base-side homestasis by drawing the most readily available acid out of your body, which just happens to be calcium in your bones. If you are acidic enough that your kidneys won't handle the load well, the excess calcium that can't be excreted through the urine will linger in the kidneys and over time will form into a solid deposit, a la kidney stones. This bodily response to excess acid is also why Americans consume the most dairy but also have the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world.
        Thanks for the response. Very interesting. I'll be curious to see if avoiding grains and processed sugars will help me. I really never want stones again. Worse than labor pains.

For anyone else who gets these types of stones, I've had good results from drinking a 2-4 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (mixed w/water) to dissolve stones. My urologist was amazed. The taste...not so great...so I do the treatments only when I really need it. I have no idea if ACV is primal friendly or not (I'm still new to this journey,) but avoiding shock wave lithotripsy must be!
        Last edited by GrokDoll; 02-20-2012, 05:06 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by GrokDoll View Post
          For anyone else who gets these types of stones, I've had good results from drinking a 2-4 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (mixed w/water) to dissolve stones. My urologist was amazed. The taste...not so great...so I do the treatments only when I really need it. I have no idea if ACV is primal friendly or not (I'm still new to this journey,) but avoiding shock wave lithotripsy must be!
          Just curious - when do you do this? When the pain first appears? My bofriend isn't primal and he gets them all the time.
          Durp.

Comment

RitaRose: Sometimes I get twinges in my lower back/kidney region so that often signifies me to take the ACV. Also, I got a stone blasted on my right side and there were two smaller ones on the left that weren't blasted. I took the ACV twice a day for two weeks. When I went for follow up xrays, they were no longer there (astounding my urologist.)

Some people say it helps to do it when the get a stone attack (which I find hard to imagine because passing a stone is so intense, it makes me vomit.) Google apple cider vinegar and kidney stones...lots of great info. Good luck to your boyfriend!

Comment

Thanks, GrokDoll!

He has had probably a dozen of them over the years (with varying levels of pain from laying on the bathroom floor to "Huh - I just passed a stone") and just passed another one a few days ago. I'll have him try the ACV. I keep it on hand anyway (I used to get acid reflux before going primal), in the fridge since it makes the taste more manageable.
              Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                Thanks, GrokDoll!

He has had probably a dozen of them over the years (with varying levels of pain from laying on the bathroom floor to "Huh - I just passed a stone") and just passed another one a few days ago. I'll have him try the ACV. I keep it on hand anyway (I used to get acid reflux before going primal), in the fridge since it makes the taste more manageable.
                One more thing I forgot to mention...have him rinse his mouth with water afterward but tell him not to brush for 30 minutes. It's hard on the enamel of the teeth, which is why he should delay brushing. It's the other reason I'm so resistant to doing my ACV stone maintenance schedule. I'm going to take a shot of it today. So bad, yet so good!

Comment

GrokDoll, try drinking it through a straw and then rinse your mouth with water. When I did the Master Cleanse (which has lots of lemon juice) I did that because the lemon juice made my teeth sensitive. It works!

Comment

Working...
                  X