Pemmican question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pemmican question

I wanted to try my hand at making some pemmican in the near future. If anyone has made it before I have a question: will lard or maybe even bacon fat work for this? Most of the recipes I have found recommend beef tallow, which I can get, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason for this or if bacon drippings would be stable enough to make the pemmican with.

I think the original point of pemmican was that it's designed to be a complete food.

Pemmican can sustain a human being indefinitely, without supplementation, if it's made right. The reason beef tallow is called for, is because it contains all the nutrients you need to survive - IF it is proper free range grassfed beef tallow, which has a different (and better) nutritional profile than feedlot tallow. So you'd want to get your hands on the grassfed goodies if you truly wanted to craft your own survival rations for a wilderness adventure or just preparing for a disaster here at home.

I ran across a really good PDF on pemmican (with recipes!) from this board a while back and read it, and I think I may have it saved to my hard drive somewhere also; it was SUPER interesting and maybe someone here will re-post the link to it.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't "practice" with on-hand ingredients, like cheaper cuts of beef and bacon drippings or even coconut oil, before going full-bore with the more expensive grassfed stuff, once you get the process down.

Comment

Bacon fat and lard are more unsaturated than beef tallow which makes them softer at room temp.

Your pemmican will need to be kept in the fridge/freezer to stay solid with those fats. I use bison/lamb/beef tallow and coconut oil if I run out. I still store my pemmican in the freezer b/c I like it better than way.

Comment

I hadn't thought about the consistency at room temp. I was more worried about spoilage. I think I might try it both ways, i think making it with the bacon fat would make it darn tasty. I have easy access to good quality tallow and wild game meat (I am in eastern Montana). I did find the recipe on the Daily Apple site, so that is my jumping off point. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Beef, deer or bison fat will be more solid at room temp and more resistant to oxidation (going rancid) and spoilage. It's just a better choice overall than lard (bacon fat is lard btw).
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

thanks. i have decide to try it this weekend with tallow. Also, i know bacon fat is lard, i was attempting to distinguish between my own bacon drippings and lard from the store.

thanks to all that replied.

Comment

Let us know how it comes out. I have not been willing to make it myself. Too much work for the drying and pulverizing of the meat. I think a lot of people want to try bacon fat because they are afraid the tallow won't taste good but I think it tastes like meat butter.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
              X