Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not able to eat enough... I'm really confused!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to eat enough... I'm really confused!

Warning: This could be a little tmi.

I recently realized that I was eating too much bulk and too little fat, so I switched to eating higher fat foods. But I still can't eat enough! I'm hungry, but at the same time, I'm so full I feel sick. It's seriously scary, I eat two brussels sprouts and half a handful of macadamia nuts and I'm full for about two hours, until I get hungry and I have to eat ANOTHER small, high-fat meal or I get hypoglycemic.

It's been pretty recent since I switched to a higher fat, lower-bulk diet, and it doesn't feel like all that excess bulk I ate has... Well, passed yet. Is there anything I can do to hurry it along? I'm miserable and scared.

I will let a more experienced board member handle this one but I did notice my hunger decrease considerably since dropping grains and lowering carbs in general. Maybe your body needs time to adjust.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm on day 6, and just starting to feel "full" when i should; it takes some time for your body to get used less dense stuff instead of more fluffy stuff.

Comment

I have a much-increased appetite on primal (4 months now). I am very sensitive to blood sugar fluctuations/insulin (excess carbs caused my life-long migraines and affect my energy and sleep patterns) and have always been underweight. I'm happy to have the inclination to eat more. It was hard to manage when I first started.

I find that I have to have a balance of macronutrients to regulate my appetite. I really try to load up on fats above all. If I have a feeling of hunger despite food in my stomach, I know I need more carbs or protein, and once I have a little of whatever I'm craving (sticking to primal foods of course) I'll feel satisfied for a good long time.

I wouldn't call cruciferous veg and nuts a 'high-fat' meal. My usual morning food is a pint of heavy cream and 3 eggs with 3 tbsp butter. Are you getting enough animal fat and protein?

Comment

You drink a pint of heavy cream?

Comment

lol that's a lot of damn cream for one sitting.

Comment

Holy hell thats a lot of heavy cream. My intolerance to dairy is both jealous and mortified.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
              Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
              I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

No, and I know I'm not, but I simply cannot force myself to eat more without feeling devastatingly ill. I'm not sick, I simply have a stomach that won't empty.

I was planning to eat more than brussels sprouts and nuts for breakfast, but I just couldn't choke them down. And an even worse problem: I'm dehydrated now, and I think it has something to do with it, but drinking gives me the same response as food!

Help?

Comment

You could cook everything in butter/EVOO/coconut oil. Thats what i try to do to get enough fats. I'll re-heat leftover meat with butter/EVOO/coconut oil poured on top.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986

Comment

Also, have you tried fasting? That really helped me with my hunger issues.

Comment

why are you starting with nuts and brussels sprouts if you know you need more protein/fat and you get full quickly?

try something like a piece of sausage or bacon or an egg fried in butter or something... even if you can only eat a small amount before getting full, at least you'll be getting in more protein/fat.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm fasting until dinner tonight, in hopes that will empty my gut a little (and I plan to have a LATE dinner...), and then perhaps I'll have some of that salami...

Comment

Tritter -

When you say you were eating too little fat, how much were you eating previously?

Our bodies adjust to whatever we're eating. If you were going extremely low fat, your body could have stopped producing enough bile acids to properly digest larger amounts of fat. A sudden influx in dietary fat can then cause havoc on your digestive system because when the fats aren't digested in your stomach, the bacteria in your intestines will consume them, producing gas. Are you extremely bloated/gassy?

If this is the case, take it easy and slowly reintroduce more fats into your diet.

Comment

Yes, I am bloated and gassy. I was what I thought 'primal' just a few days ago, but it turns out, I was still getting more carbs than fat.

That explains everything. Oh, thank you so much, hoff! Now I know I'm not dying!

Comment

you drinking enough water too? also try going for a stroll after a meal.

Comment

Working...
                              X