Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bulletproof Coffee and Lady Problems (possibly TMI for the gents)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulletproof Coffee and Lady Problems (possibly TMI for the gents)

I started the Bulletproof thing about 2 months ago (starting at a healthy weight and bf%, looking to get leaner, yet it has not proven to be a magic bullet. Not that I am surprised. Feel good though, so not complaining). ANYWAY. Apparently a higher fat and protein diet increases hormones, which increases pre-menstrual and menstrual pain:

Primal Wisdom: Diet and Female Hormone Balance

Since starting Bulletproof, my fat intake has increased slightly from my usual PB levels (though I don't track so I can't give specific figures). What has also happened is that last month I had what I can only presume were labour-strength menstrual cramps. I have no kiddoes yet so I don't know what labour actually feels like but this was BAD. They were by far the absolute worst cramps I have ever had in my entire life. There was a 30-minute period on Day 1 during which you could have sawed my leg off and I probably would not have noticed. Or cared. Thank goodness I was at home when it struck, and there was no repeat of it on Day 2. Now I am supposed to get my period again in two days, but I have been having mild cramps since Monday. Has anybody else experienced something similar? This is so not cool, and if it keeps up I am not sure if I will keep up with Bulletproof.

(And no, I am not pregnant. And I did have ovarian cysts in the past but they've been MIA for almost 2 years now thanks to Primal.)
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 02-17-2012, 10:11 AM.

Eating high fat should be balancing your hormones! This is strange.

How's your omega-3 intake?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
      How's your omega-3 intake?
      Probably not at levels to brag about. I avoid processed junk (obviously) but I am allergic to fish and can't take fish oil (I tried taking it for a while two years ago and gained 12 lbs of bloat). I take flax seed oil on and off.

Comment

Balancing your hormones is key. Make sure you get tons of vitamin A and D and DHA/EPA. Severely limit omega 6.

Quick fix that worked for me GLA - get two little bottles of Evening Primrose oil. Down 1/2 to 1 bottle immediately depending on size of bottle and how much you can stomach. Then take a high daily dose of the other bottle until menses is over. Works for me.

Don't get borage oil, it doesn't do the same thing for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by souldanzer View Post
          Balancing your hormones is key. Make sure you get tons of vitamin A and D and DHA/EPA. Severely limit omega 6.

Quick fix that worked for me GLA - get two little bottles of Evening Primrose oil. Down 1/2 to 1 bottle immediately depending on size of bottle and how much you can stomach. Then take a high daily dose of the other bottle until menses is over. Works for me.

Don't get borage oil, it doesn't do the same thing for some reason.
          Thanks! I will try the Evening Primrose oil. Any suggestions of non-fish sources for DHA/EPA? I do eat a lot of eggs and I've been on and off on the flax oil because I keep hearing mixed opinions on it.

Comment

All I know, is that when I'm doing higher fat and higher protein, low carb - my periods
            are every twenty four days (january I got it TWICE) and they suck ASS.

Now that I've lowered the fat, upped my carbs, kept protein the same, my period was
            actually, omg, for once in, say, 5 years - TWENTY EIGHT DAYS and it was a freaking breeze.

4 days, nothing to write home about, and, with much benefit to my husband, no bitchy ass PMS
            either.

Wha?

I do about 1600 cals a day, 150g carbs, maybe 50/60g of fat and the rest
            protein.

I'm 5'3 and about 120lbs if that matters.

Julie

Comment

That confirms my experience! I usually get mild to moderate cramps but I find my periods most tolerable when I'm in the 100-150g of carbs a day range (which was most of last year). Since I'm not leaning out one way or the other, I may well go back to this.

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Or at least just give it a go for a month and see how LadyTime measures up this next time
                around.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have fibroids?
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

On the omega-3's, to be honest, I can't think of any other source except really fatty cuts of grass-fed beef. Are you also allergic to shellfish? Shrimp & mollusks have a decent amount as well.
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Never had them before. My period went from fine to "kill me now" only last month, so I'm not sure if that is the culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        On the omega-3's, to be honest, I can't think of any other source except really fatty cuts of grass-fed beef. Are you also allergic to shellfish? Shrimp & mollusks have a decent amount as well.
                        Yep, allergic to all sea creatures and can't source and afford grass-fed anything at the moment.

Comment

I started BP coffee a few weeks ago. My TOTM was last week, and it was the first time in a while that I had to actually use some "protection" for more than one day (and very minor cramps were back for the first day).

I've been getting a bit nervous of the no-show for a while. I'm on the pill but have been on it for about 3 years and it was only a recent change sometime last year. So, I'm glad things seem to be rebalancing!

Comment

When I was vegan, my time of the month was bearable. I didn't have massive cramps like I do when I eat badly. I don't think carbs have anything to do with it. I was eating a LOT of vegetables. I think the nutrients from all the veggies helped. I believe that veggies and fruits are the key to good health. We need to eat pastured meats and fats as well, but I find--at least for me--veggies hold the answer. I was vegan, so I wasn't eating fish or taking fish oil. I'm primal now, but still eating veggies and feeling good!
                            **Food and Meows**

Comment

While eating Primally got rid of my polycystic ovarian syndrome, and gave me regular periods for the first time in over two years, I also started getting miserable PMS and awful cramping. I noticed that when I upped my carb content (or rather, when I stopped being vigilantly low carb and just ate more veggies and a little bit of fruit) that my periods were/are much easier with MUCH less PMS. I can't speak for 03:06 ratios as I don't track them, but I almost never eat nuts and have plenty of eggs and a moderate amount of oily fish.

On a side note, I had a huge binge around Christmas and ate it alllll for about a week and a half. It was the first time I'd been off-diet for an extended period in about two years. My next period had me on the floor, writhing in pain and crying, and my husband wanted to take me to the emergency room. It also threw my cycle off by a week. So perhaps finding a middle road with plenty of veggies and adequate protein and fat may be the best route for some of us I know from now on if I feel the need to really cheat (once or twice a year) I'll be sticking to one meal, and then right back on track!

Comment

Working...
                              X