Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Dressing.

Good morning,
    I am loooking into starting Primal Diet. My question is, what off-the-shelf salad dressings can I eat? I know it's better to prepare my own, but is one I can buy acceptable?

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately, they're all terrible. The ones that aren't mostly soybean oil are loaded with corn syrup. I've looked - because I would love the convenience. But there are some that are pretty easy to make.

Blue cheese crumbles + greek yogurt + water or milk - season to taste

Olive oil + balsamic vinegar (my favorite), lemon juice, or red wine vinegar

Sour cream + salsa (I love this!)

Comment

I like the Bragg dressings made from olive oil and aminos, but the aminos are soy aminos so there is that.

If you read all the labels on every bottle you might get lucky and find one that is strictly Primal but this is doubtful. Olive oil and vinegar are great just right off the shelf.

Comment

i don't actually know off the top of my head, but you have to check ingredients - in everything! not just salad dressing.

like danielle5690, i throw together my own dressing, which is quite easy to do. you get good at it quickly!

Comment

Or.... How about let's expand this to get some simple salad dressing recipes, maybe? My ex used to make them all the time, but all I remember is evoo, balsmaic vinegar, and herbs/spices.

Any idea on what herbs/spices?

Thanks!

(I too would be interested in quality over the counter salad dressings, too, as I may be too lazy to make my own...)
          Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Comment

Olive oil + lemon juice, s&p. Done!
            A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Thank you very much. Got some good ideas to make my own . I think it is a good commitment to this lifestyle change to prepare some of my food.

Comment

I make my own, but these have mostly appropriate ingredients if you insist on paying an arm and a leg for dressing:
                Dr. Fuhrman's Salad Dressings

I like to look at these for ideas when I go to make a batch of dressing. I try to eat 2+ cups of mixed greens a day, so buying prefab dressing is out of my league.

Comment

When you do start making your own, pre-made salad dressing will taste like CRAP!
                  A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Here is what I keep in my desk...I make my dressing at my desk, so I have to keep it simple.

EVOO
                    Balsamic Vinegar
                    Pepper Grinder
                    Salt
                    Italian Seasonings Grinder
                    Splenda

The grinders are those cheap pre-packaged kind...I don't have time to fool with a lot.

I get a disposable cup, pour in some olive oil, balsamic, grind in pepper (I like a lot), the Italian Seasonings, add a couple pinches of salt and a pinch or two of Splenda...and there you go. The Splenda makes it less than perfect, but I use a very small amount and the result is radically healthier than anything pre-packaged, and frankly, better than most of what you can buy as well. So, if you can spare 60 seconds, it is easy to do...

...though obviously not what you wanted to hear. And the worst ramification of this is for salads at restaurants: often among the worst health choice on the menu unless maybe you are at McDonalds.

Comment

There used to be one dressing at Whole Foods that was primal. One. Virginia's Real Caesar. Then they reformulated it and put canola oil in it. Now I just make my own. It's actually pretty easy once you get used to it. And if I don't feel like making anything fancy, I just drizzle some olive oil and vinegar on my greens and season with salt and pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                        There used to be one dressing at Whole Foods that was primal. One. Virginia's Real Caesar. Then they reformulated it and put canola oil in it. Now I just make my own. It's actually pretty easy once you get used to it. And if I don't feel like making anything fancy, I just drizzle some olive oil and vinegar on my greens and season with salt and pepper.
                        Yeah, I've become adapted to olive oil and vinegar on my salads. I think the key is more oil than vinegar; otherwise, it's just too sharp. After years of eating low-fat diets, that took some adapting to.

Unless you really, really like vinegar. In which case, have at it.
                        Steph
                        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I like to mix apple cider vinegar with EVOO 50/50 with this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Here is one you can buy.... but it has a little sugar, at least no bad oils nor any corn syrup.
                          Chef Tim Foods
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Here is a basic recipe
                            2 Tablespoons oil - your choice - I use EVOO
                            1 Tablespoon vinegar - your choice - balsamic, wine, apple cider
                            1 teaspoon mustard - your choice - this acts as a binder to holdthe oil/vinegar together
                            1 teaspoon or less sweetener (maple syrup/honey) - I usually skip this
                            spices - your choice - tumeric, italian spices - flaked seaweed also works - or just skip

This covers a pretty big salad but it gives you the rough proportions to use. Lots of times I just pour some olive oil over the saland witha sprinkle of balsamic. I make the mix if I am making it for the family but I just eyeball the proportions as I have made it so often.. Experiment with different proportions and different oils/ vinegars/mustards/spices.

Cheers

Comment

I just drop a big gob of homemade mayonnaise onto my salad. Remember that good quality homemade mayo can serve as a base for other dressings, like honey mustard! If I want honey mustard dressing like restaurant-style, I mix it with yellow mustard and some stevia and a pinch of paprika and a pinch of mace. Works great as a dippin' sauce too.

With that said, does anybody know what things I could mix into my mayonnaise to turn it into creamy Italian dressing? I've a hankerin'! When I look at salad dressing bottles I see red specks, green specks, white specks... but I don't know what all of them are.

Comment

Working...
                              X