Who will feed chickens the red pill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will feed chickens the red pill?

Food Project Proposes Matrix-Style Vertical Chicken Farms | Underwire | Wired.com

Better or worse than current factory farming? I'm not sure, but I do like cheap chicken.

Originally posted by Croak View Post
    Food Project Proposes Matrix-Style Vertical Chicken Farms | Underwire | Wired.com

Better or worse than current factory farming? I'm not sure, but I do like cheap chicken.
    Oh My that is enough to make me want to puke! Are you even seriously considering this? This is an abonomation!

NO NO NO NO NO

This is certainly not better then current factory farming. Who knows it could even be WORSE!

Uh .,... sorry dude I'm NOT on board and never will be. We need to get back to nature to get optimal nutrition and sustainable farming. This is neither.... Chickens produce the best quality eggs/meat when they roam free eating BUGS/GRUBS... and natural vegetation. This kind of farming would produce nothing of the sort. NOt to mention the continue degregation of the environment from the pollution this would cause. You turn useful manure into pollution...wonderful solution all this factory farming bs.

Cheaper != better, and its not even cheaper in the long run when you take into consideration all the health problems caused with pumping them full of antibiotics, and the quality of eggs/meat you get out of it that is making us SICKER. Not to mention the cleanup of the pollution that this causes...

and last but not least... its certainly far from ethical!

Why not just take a pill instead of eat then??

Seriously..
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

OMG~ that picture made me cry how horrible

Comment

So they outlaw the use of human fetuses in food production and then try to create an army of brainless chickens? This is abuse of a species! Birds were designed to live free, breed, and occasionally be eaten. The kind of evils happening now and proposed here will only translate to sicker and sicker people. Great for shortening the lifespans of our species and for human population control, but bad if you love people or animals. Those birds would be force fed antibiotics and corn, soy and other toxic foods. Then you'd buy this chicken in a freezer bag marked "natural chicken" and eat it, taking in all that inflammatory garbage. And dying at 50 of easily preventable chronic ailments. Poultry isn't even good to eat on a regular basis anyway! Too much omega 6.
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

In regards to animal cruelty, it's very simple.

Free range > Brainless > Cramped and miserable in dirty unethical cages

Just skip the middle rung, and keep chickens where they are meant to be kept, in a natural environment.
          There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

i read this earlier, scary stuff!
            also, if they ever manage to engineer meat in a lab as they are attempting you couldn't pay me to eat it!
            If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
              i read this earlier, scary stuff!
              also, if they ever manage to engineer meat in a lab as they are attempting you couldn't pay me to eat it!
              They are already engineering boneless synthetic 'fish meat' somewhere. (South America, I think) Can't find the article, but, unlike the theoretical brainless chicken scenario, this one's already happening.
              There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Comment

hmmmm talk about going the WRONG direction
                Primal since March 2011

Comment

Wow that's a pretty horrific thought experiment with a couple of rubber chicken models for context. Keeping an open mind though - it's presented as an alternative to factory farms, which last I checked, are not going away anytime soon.
                  BTW, truly free range chickens can not really be produced in large quantities - they require too much pasture. Melissa McEwan had a nice piece on it a while back. If all we had were truly free roaming birds, chicken would be an occasional treat at best.
                  If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

ewww... gross! all we need to go with them would be equally brainless consumers... oh... wait...

Comment

OMG.

I don't know whether to throw up, or cry. Or both.

This is horrible
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                        Wow that's a pretty horrific thought experiment with a couple of rubber chicken models for context. Keeping an open mind though - it's presented as an alternative to factory farms, which last I checked, are not going away anytime soon.
                        BTW, truly free range chickens can not really be produced in large quantities - they require too much pasture. Melissa McEwan had a nice piece on it a while back. If all we had were truly free roaming birds, chicken would be an occasional treat at best.
                        Even if everyone with an acre more of land raised 6+ chickens? There is a LOT of open land.. I'm sure there is a way if we get more creative with land use. If we use the same piece of land for growing food/raising chickens/ and pasture raising cows in a rotational pattern... If we started putting more vegetable gardens on rough tops and in every yard.. There is a lot of space that is being utilized for crap right now. If we changed our priorities... I truley believe its possible. What if we turned every grocery store into a giant green house where you picked your veggies fresh everyday??? Others could be turned into pasture with lots of chickens where you go and pick your eggs everyday...
                        Last edited by activia; 02-16-2012, 04:13 PM.
                        Primal since March 2011

Comment

I'd rather munch on my own forearm than one of these "chickens". Just say no, kids.
                          My Journal: Englishman In Oz, Skinny to Muscle in a Primal Way

Comment

Then there is the idea of companion plants, why not companion animals? Why seperate them? Why not have them free roaming together, chickens cows... This is just SCRATCHING the surface off the top of my head... we need to use our innovation by looking at reproducing natural environments and utilizing land to its maximum potential.... We need to integrate our plants and animals to work together to create these environments...let the animals nutrionalize the soil, then we plant...lots of rotations.. Stop building shopping centers.. or heck go up with them as that's not as harmful... we need to utilize all the renewable resources we have...

The problem is we are going the wrong direction as usual, we need to change the requirements of these solutions... use our minds in a way that can make positive changes to the environment as well as maximizing our land..instead of just maximizing profit in the SHORT term!!
                            Primal since March 2011

Comment

Now here is another idea I have..

What if we created an entire eco-system in doors? Why dont we look at creating artificial sunlight?? Then we could go vertically.. create a huge building with huge ceilings from top to bottom.. tall enough for decent size trees even. Lots of good grass and good bugs... reproduce the natural environment indoors.. then go up. Use solar panels to get the energy... heck if we lined AZ with solar panels we could probably power the entire globe... there is so much potential.

Yeah maybe with our current knowledge and technology its not viable. But instead of looking into how to raise chickens with no brains... why don't we use our innovation the right way?
                              Primal since March 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X