Can't get Keto-Adapted but in Ketosis over 1 month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get Keto-Adapted but in Ketosis over 1 month

According to Mark and other experts, once you become keto-adapted, your body will stop spilling ketones into your urine and instead utilize all the ketone bodies for energy.

I've been eating very close to zero carbs for over 5 weeks now. I've been in ketosis the entire time but I'm not becoming keto-adapted? During the past month my blood sugar has been in the range of 90-100 mg/dL throughout the day. Obviously my body is producing all this blood sugar through gluconeogenesis because there are virtually no carbohydrates in my diet. In addition, my body is spilling a ton of ketones in my urine instead of using the ketones for energy.

I suspect that my body is not become keto-adapted because my liver is producing too much glucose. As a result of the glucose being in the high-normal range, I'm maintaining the type of mitochondria that burn glucose and I'm not growing more mitochondria that burn ketones. As a result, I spilling all these valuable ketones into my urine instead of using them for energy.

I really want my body to utilize the ketones my body produces and cut back on the blood sugar produced by gluconeogenesis. Anyone have and ideas on how to fix this? I'm eating very strict paleo right now and getting enough exercise but not too much.

Chocotaco in 3...2...1.

Comment

Ketone bodies are produced as a byproduct of fatty acid metabolism.

Ron Rosedale's post for Jimmy Moore's blog about so-called 'safe starches'; | Facebook

Comment

All I know from Atkins~ the lower the carbs, the greater the keto spill~ start upping your carbs by 5 gr. every 3-4 days until you test pink on the ketostix~ FWIW~ even Dr. Atkins said not to stay at induction levels (under 10 carbs) for more than 2 weeks~

Comment

js290, I know ketones are produced as a byproduct of fat metabolism. My question is why isn't my body burning the ketones it produces for energy?

Nady, I don't want my body to reduce ketone production. I want my body to use all the ketones it produces.

Comment

Originally posted by ketone_bill View Post
            js290, I know ketones are produced as a byproduct of fat metabolism. My question is why isn't my body burning the ketones it produces for energy?
            How do you know it's not using them?

Comment

IMHO Chronic Low carb is as bad as Chronic high carb...
              Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                IMHO Chronic Low carb is as bad as Chronic high carb...
                There's no physiological basis for that statement...

Ramblings of a carnivore: Death by mediocrity

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
                  How do you know it's not using them?
                  Because I'm spilling them out in my urine. If my body was using all the ketones, I would not be spilling out ketones in my urine.

Here is further information on this topic:
                  Ask The Low-Carb Experts (Episode 5): ‘Ketosis: Devil Or Angel?’ | Mark Sisson « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Also, if you do a search on the internet, many sources say that a fully keto-adapted person will excrete vertually ketones in their urine.

Comment

Nady, I don't want my body to reduce ketone production. I want my body to use all the ketones it produces.
                    from Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ketone bodies are three water-soluble compounds that are produced as by-products when fatty acids are broken down for energy in the liver and kidney. Two of the three are used as a source of energy in the heart and brain while the third is a waste product excreted from the body.
                    . Ketostix just test the discarded fatty acids~ your body is burning the other two or there would be nothing showing on the stick~

ETA~ when they talk about using all the ketones, I don't think they're talking about a 0% carb diet~
                    Last edited by Nady; 02-16-2012, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                      from Ketone bodies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

. Ketostix just test the discarded fatty acids~ your body is burning the other two or there would be nothing showing on the stick~

ETA~ when they talk about using all the ketones, I don't think they're talking about a 0% carb diet~
                      I've read that keto-adapted people don't have anything showing on the stick even though they produce a lot of ketones.

I researched it a bit further and found this wikipedia article.
                      Acetoacetic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article says the following, "The popular dipstick used to detect ketone bodies in urine "Ketostix" by Bayer, only detects acetoacetate". Another part of the article says regarding acetoacetate, "It decomposes at a moderate rate to acetone and carbon dioxide".

In the past, I've read that acetone can be used by the brain for energy.

In theory based on what Mark Sisson has said in the past, I should be able to generate a lot of ketones and utilize them all for energy resulting in nothing being shown on the stick. He mentioned this specifically in the podcast I linked to above.

Comment

I don't think I understand your confusion~ you aren't eating any carbs~ therefore, all your energy needs are coming from fat~ the body throws away what it doesn't use~

Even Mark doesn't advocate 0 carbs Believe me~ after a month of 0 carbs, you've adapted. Now start eating some veggies!

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                          I don't think I understand your confusion~ you aren't eating any carbs~ therefore, all your energy needs are coming from fat~ the body throws away what it doesn't use~

Even Mark doesn't advocate 0 carbs Believe me~ after a month of 0 carbs, you've adapted. Now start eating some veggies!
                          I'm concerned that my body has failed to keto-adapt as a result of my blood sugar being on the high side.

Comment

I've read some Phinney & Volek too, and I sorta see where you're coming from, but interpreting one isolated marker (acetoacetonuria) to mean you haven't adapted properly to VLC in some meaningful sense seems like a bit of a stretch IMO. Can you fast without crashing? How's your energy level? Are you measurably losing fat? Those are things I'd consider more relevant than the color of a ketostix strip. Eating VLC you're certainly metabolizing fat, and whether you burn 100% of the ketones produced as opposed to excreting some of them seems kinda immaterial.

In my experience at least (context being LC for weight loss) the color of ketostix hasn't had any practical bearing on macro results. But then, neither has staying below 20g carbs.
                            6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
                            ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

I'm concerned that my body has failed to keto-adapt as a result of my blood sugar being on the high side.
                              Maybe the blood sugar is still a bit high because your body is still healing?

Comment

Working...
                              X