Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't increase carbs without MAJOR weight gain!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can't increase carbs without MAJOR weight gain!

    Looking for thoughts/ideas on what's going on here. I've never been overweight, but I've been on a VLC paleo diet the past year or so just because I felt better and thought it was helping with some bacterial (candida) overgrowth issues. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to work out more and am feeling sluggish.

    I'm trying to add in a few more carbs to help with my thyroid and just give me a bit of an energy boost and I'm finding that if I go over 40 gm/day I am gaining MAJOR weight! Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? I don't mind being low carb, but 40 gm per day is really nothing. I'd like to be able to at least double that.

  • #2
    Originally posted by lookingforanswers View Post
    Looking for thoughts/ideas on what's going on here. I've never been overweight, but I've been on a VLC paleo diet the past year or so just because I felt better and thought it was helping with some bacterial (candida) overgrowth issues. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to work out more and am feeling sluggish.

    I'm trying to add in a few more carbs to help with my thyroid and just give me a bit of an energy boost and I'm finding that if I go over 40 gm/day I am gaining MAJOR weight! Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? I don't mind being low carb, but 40 gm per day is really nothing. I'd like to be able to at least double that.
    Define major weight and what carbs are you adding? Also, don't quite get the carbs/thyroid connection, but have you checked your iodine levels?

    Comment


    • #3
      need some specifics here. a/s/l?

      just kidding.

      height / weight / bf%?

      what's your definition of major weight?

      what carb sources are you consuming to exceed 40g per day?

      maybe try this: eat 250g worth of carbs from sweet potatoes / white rice on each day for two days. weigh yourself. go back to your normal carb consumption for two days, then weigh yourself.

      Comment


      • #4
        Is this real weight that you see or feel or scale weight? If you increase carbs the scale may reflect higher numbers due retained water per gram of carb ingested. Have you given some time for your body to adjustment?

        Comment


        • #5
          It's just water, your body isn't used to carbs so of course it's going to bloat
          up and hold water.

          So whatcha do, is increase your carbs to 80 a day, drink a crap ton of water during the
          day as well, let your body get used to the carbs and the water, then within a week, your
          body will let go of the carb bloat.

          It'll be uncomfortable at first, but worth it in the long run.

          For every carb you eat, your body holds onto 3 grams of water. Once it gets used to your
          updated carb intake, it'll let go of any excess.

          Trust me.

          I'd been low carb since about 1996 and the same thing happened.

          One day I just said fook it and upped my healthy carbs to 150 a day.

          I gained 7lbs of water weight over night, but it was gone the next week.... and then
          you know what happened? I lost an f-ton of weight after increasing carbs.

          Go figger!

          Julie

          Comment


          • #6
            hormones out of whack, go find out which ones and deal with it
            Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

            Predator not Prey
            Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

            CW 315 | SW 506
            Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


            Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

            Comment


            • #7
              The thyroid problem that the OP may be talking about, could possibly be ESS (euthyroid sick syndrome),
              and is remedied by upping carbs.

              I know cuz I had it.

              I was low carb for so long that something started going wonky. I was always freezing and I started
              having a bit of hair loss. I could not for the LIFE of me lose any more weight/fat/whatever you wanna
              call it. Then I upped my carbs and it was magic. Temp went back up to 99.1 (my norm) from 96.5, daily.
              Hair stopped falling out (it wasn't much, but enough to notice), and I was a hell of a lot happier. Weight
              loss was steady after that as well.

              Damn low carb! I was so sucked in! 400 years later, I know better. Sigh.

              Julie

              Comment


              • #8
                Are you, or do you suspect, you are hypothyroid? When I was getting my thyroid straightened out, carbs would bloat me up 7-10 lbs in a few days after eating them. Now, it doesn't have that effect. If you don't know, get tested.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by lookingforanswers View Post
                  Looking for thoughts/ideas on what's going on here. I've never been overweight, but I've been on a VLC paleo diet the past year or so just because I felt better and thought it was helping with some bacterial (candida) overgrowth issues. I'm at the point now where I'm starting to work out more and am feeling sluggish.

                  I'm trying to add in a few more carbs to help with my thyroid and just give me a bit of an energy boost and I'm finding that if I go over 40 gm/day I am gaining MAJOR weight! Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? I don't mind being low carb, but 40 gm per day is really nothing. I'd like to be able to at least double that.
                  For every gram of glycogen you store, you will store 3-4g of water.

                  This means if you eat 100g of carbohydrate, your scale will go up a pound thanks to your muscles storing glycogen.

                  You are coming from a state of constant muscle glycogen depletion and suddenly, your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet, starts having muscles with readily available energy stores. The scale increases. Your body fat doesn't.

                  So, are you gaining FAT, or are you gaining muscle glycogen and water weight? I bet the latter. THROW AWAY THE SCALE.

                  BTW, low carbohydrate/low sodium diets are typically responsible for thyroid issues. Carbing up periodically often helps regulate your metabolism, as does increasing your intake of good quality sodium (like Himalayan sea salt). But again, you'll retain water from the sodium and carbs. I can fluctuate my weight about 15 lbs in a week if I mess with salt and carbs just for fun, but I can dump it in 3 days by going VLC/no salt. It's not real weight.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    "your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet"

                    Do you have any support for this assertion? I have never read that eating low carb is necessarily 'dangerous' for the body.

                    I've eaten low carb for years, and all my lab tests are always superb, I work out regularly, and I feel great. My body does not seem to be experiencing any 'agonizing hell.'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Let me guess...you gain weight very quickly (5 or more pounds in a few days) after you add carbs. Its water weight. You keep eating carbs and the weight gain will stop.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Nady View Post
                        Define major weight and what carbs are you adding? Also, don't quite get the carbs/thyroid connection, but have you checked your iodine levels?
                        I can't define the weight gain in terms of lbs because I don't even own a scale. I'm going by how my clothes fit and I can say that I've gone up 2 pant sizes in the last 3 weeks! It is extremely uncomfortable and it sucks to not fit into any of my jeans.

                        There has been a lot of talk lately about low carb diets leading to hypothyroid symptoms - that's what has me a bit concerned. Here's some info on Kresser's last talk: Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)

                        I've never had my iodine levels checked. I'll have to mention that to my doc and see if he'll order it. I did try supplementing with both iodoral and painting lugol's on my skin before. Sometimes it seems to have no effect, other times I get very fatigued and weak. I've never been able to figure out if it's a detox reaction or something negative.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by healthpellets View Post
                          need some specifics here. a/s/l?

                          just kidding.

                          height / weight / bf%?

                          what's your definition of major weight?

                          what carb sources are you consuming to exceed 40g per day?

                          maybe try this: eat 250g worth of carbs from sweet potatoes / white rice on each day for two days. weigh yourself. go back to your normal carb consumption for two days, then weigh yourself.
                          The only carbs I'm consuming are from veggies and coconut flour. I also pretty much follow the GAPS diet, so no grains or potatoes at all.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tneah View Post
                            Is this real weight that you see or feel or scale weight? If you increase carbs the scale may reflect higher numbers due retained water per gram of carb ingested. Have you given some time for your body to adjustment?
                            It's weight that I FEEL! Like I said above, I don't even own a scale so I have no idea what my actual weight is. It's been about 3 weeks and seems to just keep getting worse. How long does the adjustment take?

                            Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                            It's just water, your body isn't used to carbs so of course it's going to bloat
                            up and hold water.

                            So whatcha do, is increase your carbs to 80 a day, drink a crap ton of water during the
                            day as well, let your body get used to the carbs and the water, then within a week, your
                            body will let go of the carb bloat.

                            It'll be uncomfortable at first, but worth it in the long run.

                            For every carb you eat, your body holds onto 3 grams of water. Once it gets used to your
                            updated carb intake, it'll let go of any excess.

                            Trust me.

                            I'd been low carb since about 1996 and the same thing happened.

                            One day I just said fook it and upped my healthy carbs to 150 a day.

                            I gained 7lbs of water weight over night, but it was gone the next week.... and then
                            you know what happened? I lost an f-ton of weight after increasing carbs.

                            Go figger!

                            Julie
                            I'd love to try that and if it works I'd be in heaven, but it's already been 3 weeks that I've only been at 50 gm and every day is getting worse. I have no pants to fit me anymore other than sweats!

                            Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                            hormones out of whack, go find out which ones and deal with it
                            I do think I probably have some crazy hormonal crap going on. What does everyone recommend for testing? Saliva? Blood? Any labs better than another?

                            Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                            The thyroid problem that the OP may be talking about, could possibly be ESS (euthyroid sick syndrome),
                            and is remedied by upping carbs.

                            I know cuz I had it.

                            I was low carb for so long that something started going wonky. I was always freezing and I started
                            having a bit of hair loss. I could not for the LIFE of me lose any more weight/fat/whatever you wanna
                            call it. Then I upped my carbs and it was magic. Temp went back up to 99.1 (my norm) from 96.5, daily.
                            Hair stopped falling out (it wasn't much, but enough to notice), and I was a hell of a lot happier. Weight
                            loss was steady after that as well.

                            Damn low carb! I was so sucked in! 400 years later, I know better. Sigh.

                            Julie
                            Chris Kresser and Chris Masterjohn recently talked about this.

                            Originally posted by otzi View Post
                            Are you, or do you suspect, you are hypothyroid? When I was getting my thyroid straightened out, carbs would bloat me up 7-10 lbs in a few days after eating them. Now, it doesn't have that effect. If you don't know, get tested.
                            Yes, I am hypothyroid. I was on synthroid for 15+ years. I had a new doc just put me on Naturethroid in December. Need to get my labs checked again to see how things are looking.

                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            For every gram of glycogen you store, you will store 3-4g of water.

                            This means if you eat 100g of carbohydrate, your scale will go up a pound thanks to your muscles storing glycogen.

                            You are coming from a state of constant muscle glycogen depletion and suddenly, your poor body, which has been going through agonizing hell from being constantly depleted on a chronic low carbohydrate diet, starts having muscles with readily available energy stores. The scale increases. Your body fat doesn't.

                            So, are you gaining FAT, or are you gaining muscle glycogen and water weight? I bet the latter. THROW AWAY THE SCALE.

                            BTW, low carbohydrate/low sodium diets are typically responsible for thyroid issues. Carbing up periodically often helps regulate your metabolism, as does increasing your intake of good quality sodium (like Himalayan sea salt). But again, you'll retain water from the sodium and carbs. I can fluctuate my weight about 15 lbs in a week if I mess with salt and carbs just for fun, but I can dump it in 3 days by going VLC/no salt. It's not real weight.
                            It may not be real weight, but it is a major PITA! I can't go out and buy new clothes every time this happens!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                              Let me guess...you gain weight very quickly (5 or more pounds in a few days) after you add carbs. Its water weight. You keep eating carbs and the weight gain will stop.
                              That's pretty much it except it's not stopping. It's been 3 weeks now and only getting worse!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X