Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenten Whole30! Same as last year...who's in

All,

As a practicing Catholic, Lent is a pretty big deal for me and my family. Last year we did Whole30 for Lent, with great results. You end up doing more of a Whole44, but a few extra days never hurt anyone.

Last year a bunch of us on the boards joined together. Let me know who's interested...maybe we can create some way beyond the message boards to keep each other accountable?

Originally posted by john_solo View Post
    All,

As a practicing Catholic, Lent is a pretty big deal for me and my family. Last year we did Whole30 for Lent, with great results. You end up doing more of a Whole44, but a few extra days never hurt anyone.

Last year a bunch of us on the boards joined together. Let me know who's interested...maybe we can create some way beyond the message boards to keep each other accountable?
    This gives me an idea....for DH...maybe I can get him to give up grains/wheat for 1 month and see what happens...
    I'm pretty much whole 30 right now... w/the exception of ghee ...however I may post if I can get DH to take on the challenge...

FWIW - Does Lent begin NEXT Wednesday???
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Yep...next Wednesday.

FWIW..ghee/clarified butter is allowed on Whole30.

Comment

yeah I know...but may have to give it up to deal w/some candida overgrowth... and I'm really beginning to love my BP coffee!
        I'll see if DH is up for a challenge...
        The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
        What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
        SW 190lb
        Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
        25 Sep 2011 160lbs
        1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
        GW ~135lbs
        5'3"
        Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

I'm in! Maybe we can set something up for recipe sharing or meal planning? That always seems to help!

Comment

I'm in too. I'm almost there already, but am giving up nuts and dark chocolate, I'd like it if we could help each other along.

Comment

Can I join if I don't give up dairy? Everything else - fruits, grains, legumes, sugar, etc. - I'll happily surrender, but I'm like my half and half in my morning coffee and the occasional bite of cheese.

I was planning on doing this for Lent anyway.
              Christine
              Wag more, bark less

Comment

I'm pretty much always following the whole 30 now but count me in! I'm excited for my fish fry on Wednesday! The hubby has caught tons while ice fishing this year. I don't really like fish but this will be a good challenge to eat more of it each week! Game on!

Comment

Count me in! Lent begins tomorrow on this side of the world.

Comment

Awesome! Looks like we've got a good crew going. For Ash Wednesday I fasted...good thing about Lent is that there are built-in IFs. As far as recipes go, The Foodee Project has a whole slew of Whole30 approved dishes: whole30 – The Foodee Project

Comment

How's everyone doing? Hardest thing for me is the booze. We were really loving our vodka for a while...

Comment

Just saw this thread. I'm not doing whole30 during Lent, but realized this would be a PERFECT time to do a whole30. My kids are still trying to grasp that I'm eating this way for health, not just to lose weight, and that my style of cooking is here to stay. So I took advantage of Lent to have them reduce their processed food consumption. The each picked a specific food to avoid which is great! Now they are talking about it (if even talking is sort of complaining!) and we are having more dialogue, not just mom telling them to eat more veggies! Even at the grocery store last night they knew "no processed" foods were going to enter the cart. I felt sort of victorious!

So next year, I'll be here with the whole family doing whole 30!

btw, my kids took it upon themselves to suggest what I should give up for Lent . . . swearing!
                        "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Comment

I do not know what all is in the Whole30 challenge, I was planning on starting a Leptin Reset this Thursday. Would that count, are they similar? I am Luthern, so giving up in Lent is familiar to me.
                          Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                          I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                          Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                          ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

I got a late start due to my birthday and falling face first into the gluten free cake that was lovingly made for me, but today is my day 1 and I'm committed to strict Whole 30 until Easter.

Ljbprrfmof, you can read about the Whole 30 here:

Whole9 | Paleo Nutrition, Nutrition Workshops, Nutrition for Health and Fitness Facilities, and the Original Whole30 Program, Designed to Change Your Life in 30 Days

I've only just started reading about the leptin reset and while I'm in NO way prepared to eat a huge breakfast at 5:30am (because I get up at 5, then workout at 6, and am not ready for breakfast until 8), I am incorporating the 50g. protein suggestion, as well as the no snacking and 3 square meals a day that the LR puts forth. But I wouldn't call myself "on the LR" due to my refusal to eat breakfast at 5:30. (also, I'd like to keep working out. I don't do crossfit or anything super duper like that, just jogging and weights and such.)

Anyway, I'm in, just late to the party.

Comment

Working...
                            X