Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anxiousroche
    Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae...maybe you should read a little more into the wiki article...you have know idea what you are talking about...maybe you can find a womens right meeting to go to or something...
    well behaved women make great moms, wives, and mates...un behaved women just open there mouths and talk shit about shit they dont have any clue on...
    Don't be such a jerk. It is not a quote on my signature, but I also agree with that sentiment, and I have been a great mom (two awesome adult sons), fantastic partner (ask him if you want). When you write that poorly behaved women open their mouths, as if women shouldn't, you are expressing the very thing that many women work against. I don't need some person with a dick and two balls to come along and tell me to keep it shut. The kind of "well-behaved" women you are referring to have capitulated to patriarchy, and I choose not to do so as often as I possibly can. It is "un behaved women" who fought for the right to vote...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by anxiousroche
      Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae...maybe you should read a little more into the wiki article...you have know idea what you are talking about...maybe you can find a womens right meeting to go to or something...
      well behaved women make great moms, wives, and mates...un behaved women just open there mouths and talk shit about shit they dont have any clue on...
      Damn, I hope you're a spammer. Otherwise you're just an ass.
      Durp.

Comment

an ass that created an account/made a fake account just to bust on paleobird because some people can't handle being disagreed with
        beautiful
        yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
          Don't be such a jerk. It is not a quote on my signature, but I also agree with that sentiment, and I have been a great mom (two awesome adult sons), fantastic partner (ask him if you want). When you write that poorly behaved women open their mouths, as if women shouldn't, you are expressing the very thing that many women work against. I don't need some person with a dick and two balls to come along and tell me to keep it shut. The kind of "well-behaved" women you are referring to have capitulated to patriarchy, and I choose not to do so as often as I possibly can. It is "un behaved women" who fought for the right to vote...
          Well said :0)
          A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by jojohaligo View Post
            I would also then argue that dirt and DE are not the same thing. Most of what we call dirt (the stuff we grow our food in) is decomposed biomass, is it not?
            If only!

Even the healthiest soil is mostly clay, sand and minerals. A composter's work is never done...

Comment

To Betorq, Karate Lisa and others who use DE, where do you purchase it from? I know there's a lot of suppliers out there but just wanted to find a reputable source.

Comment

Originally posted by Oceana View Post
                To Betorq, Karate Lisa and others who use DE, where do you purchase it from? I know there's a lot of suppliers out there but just wanted to find a reputable source.
                We get ours from a local feed store. Be sure to get the 100%, there are several out there that are 97%, but doesn't tell you what the other 3 are...
                Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
                Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jpatti View Post
                  If only!

Even the healthiest soil is mostly clay, sand and minerals. A composter's work is never done...
                  What is topsoil then? As opposed to subsoil.
                  Female, age 51, 5' 9"
                  SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
                  2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

Originally posted by JennGlob View Post
                    We get ours from a local feed store. Be sure to get the 100%, there are several out there that are 97%, but doesn't tell you what the other 3 are...
                    clays
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                    lol

Comment

• I just read this whole thread. I kept by passing it. I knew I had heard of DE before, when I saw the thread title, but I could not place it until I started reading. It is a pesticide. I used it for a bad bug problem I had when I lived in Seattle, bought it at home depot, spread it around the foundation of my house. WTF people. Food Grade or not are you crazy....

I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                      My Journal

Comment

• nah it's not crazy

eating butter and fatty meat is crazy, when evvvvvverybody knows they'll give your heart attacks at a young age
                        beautiful
                        yeah you are

lol

Comment

• Diatomaceous earth is used in swimming pool filters.

That's about all I know.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            Diatomaceous earth is used in swimming pool filters.

That's about all I know.
                            People eat clay, too. But that only proves their nutritional status is flawed, and they find what they need where they can. Would I recommend d.e. for people? I even quit using it on my critters for lice years ago, due to its cutting edge propensities. (That's a joke, in case it zipped over your heads.)

Comment

• I see a lot of references to the joys of "clean colons" on here. Need I remind you of the following? A few random quotes from wiki follow. In short, the colon lining is there for a reason. Routinely pushing foreign substances through it to clean it out, or taking enemas may make your back passage feel "nice and drafty" if that's what you're into, but in the longer term it's not recommended. On a side note, the body is full of bacteria. Many of which are beneficial.

In addition, there are many testimonials from vendors, and anecdotal evidence to the benefits of DE. To this date there has been NO scientific evidence supporting claims of it's benefits. Look it up on wiki. The one plus side with wiki is that at least it gets policed and required citation where claims are made. Other pages are fraught with vendors, quacks and other unreliable or biased sources.

No scientific evidence supports the alleged benefits of colon cleansing and it "has no known medical value and risks damage to the rectum or bowel." The bowel itself is "not dirty” and, unless disease or medication interfere, "nature does a fine job of clearing out wastes."

Despite this, "auto-intoxication" persists in the public imagination. The practice of colon cleansing has undergone a resurgence in the alternative medical community, supported by testimonials and anecdotal evidence and promoted by manufacturers of colon-cleansing products.

Some colon-cleansing regimens disrupt fluid and electrolyte balance, which may lead to dehydration and salt depletion, whilst repeated or excessive cleansing programs can lead to anemia and malnutrition.

Diatomaceous earth is approved for use in food, but poses an inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form. A mask is necessary for working with DE products.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorMag View Post
                                I just read this whole thread. I kept by passing it. I knew I had heard of DE before, when I saw the thread title, but I could not place it until I started reading. It is a pesticide. I used it for a bad bug problem I had when I lived in Seattle, bought it at home depot, spread it around the foundation of my house. WTF people. Food Grade or not are you crazy....

I agree, Tormag. A single facepalm just wouldn't do on this one.

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                                I even quit using it on my critters for lice years ago, due to its cutting edge propensities. (That's a joke, in case it zipped over your heads.)
                                Not only that, I don't even have lice or worms.

Originally posted by simon155 View Post
                                I see a lot of references to the joys of "clean colons" on here. Need I remind you of the following? A few random quotes from wiki follow. In short, the colon lining is there for a reason. Routinely pushing foreign substances through it to clean it out, or taking enemas may make your back passage feel "nice and drafty" if that's what you're into, but in the longer term it's not recommended. On a side note, the body is full of bacteria. Many of which are beneficial.

In addition, there are many testimonials from vendors, and anecdotal evidence to the benefits of DE. To this date there has been NO scientific evidence supporting claims of it's benefits. Look it up on wiki. The one plus side with wiki is that at least it gets policed and required citation where claims are made. Other pages are fraught with vendors, quacks and other unreliable or biased sources.

No scientific evidence supports the alleged benefits of colon cleansing and it "has no known medical value and risks damage to the rectum or bowel." The bowel itself is "not dirty” and, unless disease or medication interfere, "nature does a fine job of clearing out wastes."

Despite this, "auto-intoxication" persists in the public imagination. The practice of colon cleansing has undergone a resurgence in the alternative medical community, supported by testimonials and anecdotal evidence and promoted by manufacturers of colon-cleansing products.

Some colon-cleansing regimens disrupt fluid and electrolyte balance, which may lead to dehydration and salt depletion, whilst repeated or excessive cleansing programs can lead to anemia and malnutrition.

Diatomaceous earth is approved for use in food, but poses an inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis. Natural or dried diatomite generally contains crystalline silica. Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcining) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form. A mask is necessary for working with DE products.

The crystalline silica content of the dust's particulate is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines for the maximum amounts allowable in the product and in the air near the breathing zone of workers.
                                Exactly. The "scientific research" saying we should all be eating this abrasive stuff is brought to you by the same people trying to sell it to you. From there, websites all quote each other in one giant game of self reinforcement.

And yes, the whole colon "cleansing" thing is ridiculous. How about a coffee enema? Leave your mucous membranes alone. They are there for a reason and are doing just fine without any scrubbing.

Comment

Working...
                                X