Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study showing DE lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol:

Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria.

In this study a potential influence of diatomaceous earth to lower blood cholesterol was investigated. During 12 weeks we monitored serum lipid concentrations in 19 healthy individuals with a history of moderate hypercholesterolemia (9 females, 10 males, age 35-67 years). Individuals administered orally 250 mg diatomaceous earth three-times daily during an 8 weeks observation period. Serum concentrations of cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides levels were measured before study entry, every second week during the period of diatomaceous earth intake and 4 weeks after stop of intake.

Compared to baseline (285.8 +/- 37.5 mg/dl = 7.40 +/- 0.97 mM) diatomaceous earth was associated with a significant reduction of serum cholesterol at any time point, reaching a minimum on week 6 (248.1 mg/dl = 6.43 mM, -13.2% from baseline; p<0.001). Also low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (week 4: p<0.05) and triglycerides levels decreased (week 2: p<0.05, week 4: p<0.01). Four weeks after intake of diatomaceous earth was stopped, serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides still remained low and also the increase of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol became significant (p<0.05). Diatomaceous earth, a byproduct, is capable of reducing blood cholesterol and positively influencing lipid metabolism in humans. Placebo-controlled studies will be necessary to confirm our findings.

Comment

• Originally posted by marigoldmaker View Post
      I stared feeding it to my dogs (food grade), and read about all the healthful benefits to humans, so I decided to try it myself.
      I started by adding 1 TBL to my morning protein shake.

After 1 week, I've decided to stop using it. The slight nausea I experienced at first went away. But, I've been experiencing severe bloating. I'm a VERY careful, clean eater since I have a severe gluten intolerance. The bloating I'm experiencing is what happens when I get "glutened".

I'm not positive the diatomaceous earth is the culprit, but it's the only thing I've really changed. I may try again in a month, starting with 1 tsp. If so, I'll repost.
      This is interesting.

In amongst all the research I have been doing on DE, I have read that it is added to flour to deter bugs (they don't like what it does to them, so steer clear). That means that anyone who eats or has eaten any flour products has been very likely ingesting it for years in minute quantities!

I also am very gluten intolerant, possibly even (undiagnosed) Celiac, as I cannot tolerate even a crumb of gluten grain.

I have come to realise that I have parasites in my gut, possibly at least tapeworms. The movements I feel in my colon are not 'normal'. Biting and writhing - and in the opposite direction to normal peristalsis.

The fact that you developed the same symptoms as being 'glutened' when you took the DE makes me wonder if it's not the gluten that triggers these issues (despite what the scientists tell us), but parasites in our bodies that we may be blissfully unaware of, reacting to the DE in the flour. Maybe there is enough in the flour to make them mad as hell, but not enough to kill them!

I have just ordered some DE. When it comes it will be interesting to see if I get a similar response (mine is gut disturbance/IBS, raging restless legs and burning feet). I think if I do, that I would probably have to persevere and work through that until I've slaughtered the beggars.....

Comment

• I've read through most of this post and from what I see....your right....it is by no means SAND......what most do not seems to understand is that sand is not defined as a mineral substance.

a loose granular substance, typically pale yellowish brown, resulting from the erosion of siliceous and other rocks and forming a major constituent of beaches, riverbeds, the seabed, and deserts.

you see here it is not defined as silica. its defined as a loose granular substance...right?

here you see that sand can be made of numerous things and look completely different from region to region.
        What is sand made of - Sandatlas

I think the term sand is a bit to generalizing of a term.....

from what I understand is.....the diatoms break down when they die.....just kinda like flesh...like dust to dust type of thing...

every creature eventually turns back into some kinda of dirt...or earth....assuming called earth because the "earth substance" is a combination of so many minerals, substances and remains of creatures that have died.....earth seems to be a generalized term...

given all this.....

the diatoms are composed mostly silica....this is why when they parish and become apart of the "earth" again the "rock" that is formed probably by the pressure of the water is mostly silica and various trace elements.

It doesn't seem proper to call this mined rock that is broken back down into a fine powder "sand"

the definition simply does not fit....but it does seem others get a KICK out of calling it that

but simply the fact remains that whether you agree or not it still does not make it sand.....the definition does not fit...

if you choose to take it then take it.....if not then don't...it is not up to anyone to convince anyone to take it.just as with any other supplement.....believe what you want ...do what you want....don't get lost in semantics.....people have ingested weirder things such as borax.....

second it seems like people are getting hung up on whether a substance can serve two purposes....such a borax....which can be labeled as detergent...but people take for it boron content....note.....this is a naturally mined rock as well......look deeper please...

same with diatomaceous earth....it has a wide variety of uses....I don't suspect it cuts your insides..lol....its too fine for that....it can be drying though so if you don't drink enough water I imagine it can cause constipation which can lead to hemorrhoids....take some magnesium increase water uptake....

it seems like you can be stuck in a box to consider a substance to only have one use

that's like saying milk is only good for cereal....

yes it can be bad if inhaled....but the food grade is typically less than .5% crystalline silica.....so its not as harmful

I'm sure it harmful to the lungs to breathe in any powder...ie whey....

just don't breathe it in.....when you mix it in water or liquid I don't see how you could unless your really clutsy...

it just seems like these people are so against they are coming of with ridiculous reasons why its bad....

if you don't want to take it don't take it...but that doesn't mean you need to find a reason for us not to take it just to justify you not taking it...

live and let live.....respect my opinion ...I'll respect yours......but don't try to change facts or call it something its not....just say I don't want to take it...that's it....we will respect that.....

Comment

• You couldn't pay me to ingest it in worthwhile quantity. Diatomaceous earth is used to kill insects, it creates tiny abrasions on their bodies when they walk over or carry it thinking it's food, they then die from dehydration. Ingesting spoons of it daily can't possibly be good.
          -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
            You couldn't pay me to ingest it in worthwhile quantity. Diatomaceous earth is used to kill insects, it creates tiny abrasions on their bodies when they walk over or carry it thinking it's food, they then die from dehydration. Ingesting spoons of it daily can't possibly be good.
            If you have actually felt diatomaceous earth, it is so fine and soft, like talcum powder. I can't see any way at all that it could abrade an insect, or do any harm after humans ingesting it. I believe it kills insects by dehydration.

I've started taking a teaspoon every day or so in water, mornings before eating, and this time round have no bad effects at all. Hair improving (what is left of it at 61!) and skin improving. That being so, i'd expect only improvements internally too, as skin seems to be a pretty good indicator of overall health.

Comment

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
              If you have actually felt diatomaceous earth, it is so fine and soft, like talcum powder. I can't see any way at all that it could abrade an insect, or do any harm after humans ingesting it. I believe it kills insects by dehydration.

I've started taking a teaspoon every day or so in water, mornings before eating, and this time round have no bad effects at all. Hair improving (what is left of it at 61!) and skin improving. That being so, i'd expect only improvements internally too, as skin seems to be a pretty good indicator of overall health.
              https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=diat...icide&safe=off

From the life hacker link
              "Diatomaceous Earth is almost pure silica (with some beneficial trace minerals); under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass (glass is made from silica). On any beetle-type insect that has a carapace, like fleas and cockroaches, the DE works under the shell and punctures the body, which then dehydrates and the insect dies. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical."

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                if you rub sand between your fingers, what happens?

if you rub sand on a mucus membrane what happens? same thing that rubbing lettuce will do, just be uncomfortable and slightly pokey

if you eat sand, what happens? i don't see it doing much of anything, if your stomach and intestines can handle daily bile habitation
                Here is a pesticide fact sheet. It is not sand, or rather since there are different types of silica, this is not the same form of silica. Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet

Comment

• Haven't been on much, forgot about this thread. Just reminded me to take my DE. I've stopped taking it for awhile and noticed my hair and nails don't grow as well (and Grizz's ghost poo remark is true for me as well). Cheers.
                  Last edited by Ferti; 01-08-2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minagelina View Post
                    Here is a pesticide fact sheet. It is not sand, or rather since there are different types of silica, this is not the same form of silica. Diatomaceous Earth General Fact Sheet
                    It's worse than sand.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if this is repeat info. We've used organic food grade DE for our pets, both externally & internally. There's some great info in DE on wolfcreekranch website.
                      While reading WCR I read how they (the humans) use it as well.
                      We have used DE for tummy issues (possible tummy bugs, food poisoning) w good results. We bought a different brand a while back, and I don't care for using it and can't recall the brand I used to get.
                      Anyway, if you're going to use it for people or pets, get food grade.
                      K

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanmercer View Post
                        https://www.google.com/#psj=1&q=diat...icide&safe=off

From the life hacker link
                        "Diatomaceous Earth is almost pure silica (with some beneficial trace minerals); under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass (glass is made from silica). On any beetle-type insect that has a carapace, like fleas and cockroaches, the DE works under the shell and punctures the body, which then dehydrates and the insect dies. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical."
                        Taken from your link

"Keep in mind that you need to keep DE dry before using as water will make it ineffective."

So - if moisture stops the DE from damaging insects, puncturing them etc, then mixed with water it isn't going to do any harm to a human gut either. It has worked wonders for my skin and nails. Wish it would reverse my hair loss!

Comment

• Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                          So - if moisture stops the DE from damaging insects, puncturing them etc, then mixed with water it isn't going to do any harm to a human gut either. It has worked wonders for my skin and nails. Wish it would reverse my hair loss!
                          I don't think it's so much that moisture stops DE from damaging insects as it stops DE from STICKING to insects.

Comment

• I've used it on the cats (internally & externally) and it causes the fleas to dehydrate (& die). The fleas are actually flat like paper (and dead).
                            I tell everyone w pets and so far they have also had good results
                            K

Comment

• Originally posted by Minagelina View Post
                              i was calling it sand because whoever i was replying to was calling it sand
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

Comment

• I wish people wouldn't call it sand. Sand is a specific particle size and composed of various things. DE is fossilized diatoms.

Comment

Working...
                                X