Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diatomaceous earth - anyone have bad side effects?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeah, some people take it for the silica. some people take it for worms.

i took it once, a heaping spoonful mixed in yogurt

i died. true story.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

• Get far in your science classes, Paleobird??? I thought not.

OK, try this: You have a swimming pool. It might have a cartridge, a sand, or a DE filter. Leaving the cartridge type aside, would you go into the pool store and buy a bag of DE for your sand filter? Or, the other way around? Of course not. THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!

You just refuse to listen to those who know better. It's not just that you are working from a point of wrong information, you refuse to learn.

No wonder our country is in such a state of idiocracy. Scientifically illiterate high school and college grads.

Comment

• OK, personal insults aside (because they are too silly to dignify)

Yeah, I know that DE has lots of valid uses such as pool filters, and bug killing. I have yet to see any scientific backing for ingesting it being good for a person. Note: Scientific would mean "not offered up by someone trying to sell the stuff".

You can't get around the fact that DE is silica and silica is what makes sand. DE is sand, just very finely ground, packaged and expensively priced sand.

Try refuting the things I've said with evidence instead of insults.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
          So then, how did a marine creature get to be silica if it is still in it's original form? "Real" fossils as opposed to fake fossils?
          Ahh! A good question! Actually the fossils are not of the soft parts of the organism, but the fossils are the skeletal (or shell if you would rather) remains. This organism secretes a skeletons of silica. This is one of the things that make diatoms very interesting.

Rather than saying people who eat DE are eating sand (which is wrong because sand is a grain size, and DE is smaller than sand), you could tell everyone how awful it is for them to eat silica skeletons! Opinion noted! Then we can all get over it and move on.

Bloodorchid, !

Kellie

Comment

• Too much inorganic material in our body is likely not the best thing in the world for it. DE is designed to shred apart bugs, but, just because our intestinal tract is stronger, doesn't mean it's not causing damage. You can't live in a sterile environment, and it's not practical anyway.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

• Yeah, I think all the bickering about grain sizes (what is "officially" sand and what is silt) and all the bickering about the origins of the DE people get talked into ingesting are all pretty moot, although the diatom is an interesting creature.

When it comes down to it though, silica is silica regardless of origin.

My real point is this. Don't eat sharp pointy pokey things. They tear up your guts.

Derp's point about DE shredding bugs is a good one.

I'm still waiting for any non vendor provided scientific evidence that this actually does any good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                Derp's point about DE shredding bugs is a good one.

I'm still waiting for any non vendor provided scientific evidence that this actually does any good.
                it's been said repeatedly that it kills bugs. it scratches them and sucks out their bodily fluids until they are satisfyingly dead

here's my scientific evidence: i sprinkled it on plant leaves with my fingers and the japanese beetles died within minutes

my other scientific evidence: i ate some to see what would happen, i survived. my anus was not abraded upon evacuation. win-win
                beautiful
                yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                lol

Comment

• I looked, you won't find any. You won't even find any evidence pointing to safe toxicology in silica and all its forms.

I did find one odd case where a fellow ingested silica and it was found in his lungs though, but can't remember for the life of me where that is.
                  Make America Great Again

Comment

• that stuff is powdery as heck, if you get complacent you'll make it puff everywhere

everywhere meaning your nose
                    beautiful
                    yeah you are

lol

Comment

• Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      yeah, some people take it for the silica. some people take it for worms.

i took it once, a heaping spoonful mixed in yogurt

i died. true story.
                      Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                      it's been said repeatedly that it kills bugs. it scratches them and sucks out their bodily fluids until they are satisfyingly dead

here's my scientific evidence: i sprinkled it on plant leaves with my fingers and the japanese beetles died within minutes

my other scientific evidence: i ate some to see what would happen, i survived. my anus was not abraded upon evacuation. win-win
                      Zombie post!
                      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• I used it for flea control a few years ago. It worked but it's awful stuff. My vacuum cleaner never recovered and I sneezed for a month.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Also the fact that someone survived ingesting it with no obvious bloody discharge=/=this stuff is good for you, eat up. It's just means they are some combination of strong and lucky. Also who knows what repeated exposure would do?

Comment

• Originally posted by oceangrl View Post
                            I used it for flea control a few years ago. It worked but it's awful stuff. My vacuum cleaner never recovered and I sneezed for a month.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
                            Silica in the lungs on a repeated basis will cause silicosis, a nasty and often fatal condition.

Comment

• Why not just eat a carrot if you're after really indigestible methods to clean out bacteria? At least carrots aren't abrasives with a 7 mohs hardness rating. The worst thing is they use this stuff in toothpastes, when teeth can only handle ~5 iirc.
                              Make America Great Again

Comment

• Carrots taste better too.

Comment

Working...
                                X